GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

ASTRID - Track Rat Build

zef

Ready to race!
Welcome to my build thread!

Feel free to follow me on Instagram!
@jg_gti

Table of Contents:
Page 1: WaveTrac Limited Slip Differential Install (courtesy of Excelerate Performance in Branford, CT)
Page 2-5: KO4 Install!
Page 6: Carbon Cleaning & First Autocross of the season (2018)
Page 7: APR OPS Acquired (link to installation: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117605)
Page 8: Tuning issues with Stratified, APR Intake Install to accommodate APR OPS
Page 9 - Contemplating colors for paint job
Page 10 - BBK acquired, discovered issue with ECS Catch Can
Page 11 - New Eibach MultiPro coilovers acquired, external oil & DSG coolers installed
Page 12-15 - Car goes to the body shop for paint!
Page 15 - Rebuilt Brembos (instructions on how to rebuild calipers also included there)

Engine Modifications:
Port & Polished/Cerakoted HPA KO4 Turbo
Forge Wastegate Actuator (yellow spring)
PTP Turbo Blanket
APR v3.1 KO4 Software
APR Intake (stage 1 & 2, updated version)
APR Oil Accumulator/Oil Protection System
APR Boost Tap
APR Downpipe (Swain Coated)
APR Cat Back Exhaust (updated, 2019 version)
"Updated" OEM Intake Manifold w/ Gruven Parts Actuator Arm
Iabed Industries Oil Cooler
USRT DSG "ICECAP" Cooler
ECS Tuning Catch Can (w/ Earl's Speed Flex/Speed Seal -10AN fittings/hose)
R8 Coils w/ BKR8EIX's @ 0.024
Fluidampr Pulley
Neuspeed TOP & Throttle Pipe (wrapped in DEI foil)
Integrated Engineering FDS Intercooler
Go Fast Bits DV+ (main spring removed)
RKX PCV Upgrade

Cobb TBE Exhaust (removed as of 2/1/19)
Wortec Oil Pan (removed as of 2/1/19)
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold (removed as of 10/1/18)
034 Catch Can (v.1) (removed as of 4/10/18)
Grams Performance 70mm Throttle Body (removed as of 4/28/18)
Integrated Engineering Intake (removed as of 3/21/18)
Stratified Tuned on 93 (E30 coming soon) (removed as of 10/1/18)
Eurodyne Software, currently on Stage 2 base map (removed as of 3/21/18)

Drivetrain Modifications:
WaveTrac Limited Slip Differential
APR TCU Software
MK7 Golf R "breather box"
TyrolSport Deadset Collars (Front & Rear)
XLR8 Performance Motor & Transmission Mounts Link
034 Pendulum Mount
VWR Subframe Pucks
iABED Industries Billet Rear Main Seal (more info here)

034 street density engine & transmission mounts (removed 7/3/19 due to part failure)

Suspension Modifications:
Eibach Multi-Pro R2 Coilovers
Vorshlag Camber Plates
Superpro 24mm Front Sway Bar (on the less stiffer setting)
Superpro 24mm Rear Sway Bar (on the stiffest setting)
Superpro "Supaloy" Front Lower Control Arms
Superpro Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings (SPF3353K / SPF3352K)
Superpro Adjustable Ball Joints
Superpro Front/Rear Adjustable End Links
034 Spherical Rear Trailing Arms
034 Density Line Rear Toe Arms
034 Density Line Rear Upper Control Arms
Unibrace RB
Eurosport Rear Hatch Brace
ECS Tuning Rear Chassis Brace Kit

MSS Spring Kit (removed as of 2/1/19)
Koni Yellow Shocks (1/4 turn from full soft in front, 1 turn from full soft in rear) (removed as of 2/1/19)

034 Track Density Strut Mounts(removed as of 2/1/19)
B6 Passat Front Aluminum Spindles (removed as of 3/1/19)

Wheel/Tire Setups

18x8.5 Motegi Racing MR140 et45 w/ 255/35/18 Hoosier R7 (Track Use)

18x8.5 Neuspeed RSE10 et45 w/ 225/40/18 Firehawk Indy 500 (Street Use)

Braking:
TyrolSport Master Cylinder Brace
TyrolSport Front & Rear Brake Lines
HS Tuning RS3 Master Cylinder Upgrade
Brembo GT 4 Piston BBK, 355mm 2 piece rotor (Girodisc Rings)
Golf 6R Rear Calipers & Rotors
Race Technologies RE10 Pads (Front)
Hawk HT-10 Pads (Rear)

Porterfield R4-S Front & Rear Brake Pads (removed as of 2/1/19)
TyrolSport Caliper Stiffening Kit (removed as of 2/1/19)

Exterior:
Suzuka Gray (grey?) full respray
OSRAM Xenarc Headlights
Euro LED Taillights
ED35 Bumper
Seibon Carbon Fenders
Revozport Vented Hood
Revozport Roof Spoiler
Genuine VW Golf R Side Skirts
XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra - Full Nose (courtesy of ACI Dynamix)
9H Ceramic Pro Coating (courtesy of ACI Dynamix)

Interior:
Euro Kreations Rear Seat Delete
Kenwood DNX516ABS
Kenwood KFC-1795PS
Kenwood KFC-1695PS
Die Hard Gold AGM Battery
Second Skin Damplifier Pro + Lux Liner in the trunk & floor (to reduce NVH from exhaust, motor mounts, etc)

Future Mods Planned:
Engine Overhaul (chains, guides, cam bridge, balance shaft, etc)
Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Back VR1
Aquamist/Water Methanol

Bucket Seat, Harness + Harness Bar
AIM Solo 2 DL w/ Smarty Cam
New Street Wheel/Tire Setup (18x9 +45, 255/35/18)

Also check out my buddies B6 Passat Track Car build! https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9318655-A-Big-Turbo-B6-Passat-Build-%96-Comfy-Commuter-Sleeper-amp-Weekend-Track-Warrior

Last edited:

jay745

track sl00t
Awesome to see another performance track car build. Wish you were closer to chicago to go to some track days with! I'm usually at the track by myself :(

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Are you managing to get even wear at the front with only -1.9 degrees camber? What tires are you using for the track?

zef

Ready to race!
Are you managing to get even wear at the front with only -1.9 degrees camber? What tires are you using for the track?
Tires wear perfectly even. It's typically toe that kills tires, not camber.

Currently the Firestones have been both track & street tires. Eventually a dedicated track set will be obtained. They have more than enough grip and they hold up to abuse (heat) well.

jay745

track sl00t
Thank you!

I am entertaining some events out in Ohio this year, not sure if you typically drive out that far.

Will have some more updates in the coming weeks!
I'll be at mid ohio for memorial day with chin motorsports!

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Tires wear perfectly even. It's typically toe that kills tires, not camber.

Currently the Firestones have been both track & street tires. Eventually a dedicated track set will be obtained. They have more than enough grip and they hold up to abuse (heat) well.
Sorry should have been more clear, meant at the track. Just surprised to see you're only running -1.9 degrees camber in the front. Most macpherson strut cars I know (including my primary track car) are running -2.5 to -3.5 degrees to get even wear across the tires (200tw or rcomps).

I don't normally track the GTI though, so could be a platform-specific thing.

zef

Ready to race!
Sorry should have been more clear, meant at the track. Just surprised to see you're only running -1.9 degrees camber in the front. Most macpherson strut cars I know (including my primary track car) are running -2.5 to -3.5 degrees to get even wear across the tires (200tw or rcomps).

I don't normally track the GTI though, so could be a platform-specific thing.
Ah I see what you're asking. Currently with the superpro ball joints that's about as high as I can go. I would be able to go more, but for some reason the left side of the car is off by almost 0.4, so in an ideal situation I'd be able to get close to -2.5, but when maxing out both sides it turns out to be uneven.

If I have to suck it up and run camber plates I will, but for the time being these are working well.

I'll be at mid ohio for memorial day with chin motorsports!
Awesome, I will definitely check that out. SCCA is running a few Track Night's more local to me, but mid-ohio is always a track I wanted to get under my belt, so I might take you up on that.

zef

Ready to race!
Big update!

After doing more research on the HPA vs IE intake manifold, and talking with both companies, it appears IE has a slight design edge over HPA as they have flow tested velocity stacks. HPA's are equal distribution, but runner length, diameters, and resonance tuning are all factors that IE took into account during R&D to fully optimize power gains for any turbo (including the KO4), which appears to be something HPA overlooked. So I'll be going with the IE manifold now! (plus the manifold is on sale which pretty much sealed the deal)

Also, the KO4, manifold, and all remaining suspension components have been ordered!

I also ordered a carbon spoiler through Revozsport, which should hopefully be here in the next week or two. I decided I liked the look of the Revo more over the OSIR, but will stick with OSIR for the diffusers/side skirts.

The only remaining components on the table are the BBK, TyrolSport radiator, the remaining body work, and some interior tid bits. I should hopefully be able to pick those up by the end of the month. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Where do you autocross? I'm looking to get into it for the first time ever this summer. I'll be doing it with FCSCC in Stratford.

We should meet up sometime and talk cars. I don't know of many other mk6 Gti's around.

zef

Ready to race!
I originally started Auto X with FCSCC (I still have their "Doctor of Pylons" award from when I did their AutoX for new drivers school) but their events are pretty far from me. I much prefer going to the CART events (Connecticut Autocross Rally Team). They're more in central CT versus Fairfield county. They have a track day at Thompson on May 5th that I am going to try to be there for.

I'm in Rocky Hill; I frequent the Berlin Turnpike on the weekends, should definitely meet up! Car is gonna be under the knife for the next few weeks, but once the car is settled and dialed in most definitely.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Ah ok! I was going to start with CART but then a friend of a friend suggested FCSCC because they have bigger lots for it. CART does most of their events in Hartford, right? I looked into them briefly.

I've got family in Wethersfield and in Rocky Hill (off Rt 3 near Westside Super Market) and I am currently in Middletown so I know the area pretty well.

I check out the Berlin Turnpike pretty often during the summer months so i'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for another mk6.

Speaking of the pike... what are the most popular times for meet ups now? They used to go pretty late and me and some buddies would show up for around 10pm but seems like the cops have really cracked down on it all. Past summer or 2 have seemed dead on the Berlin Turnpike... at least late night.

zef

Ready to race!
They use 2 lots, the bigger of the two (the south lot I believe?) they only use maybe 3 or 4 times a season. The CART lot (1-17 Pequot Street Hartford CT 06120, if you google map it you'll see the skid marks from the satellite image that's the lot) its bigger than the north lot but not quite as big as the south lot. Either way you're only looking at ~40 second run times no matter where you go. Also just in terms of the people I enjoy the CART folks a lot more--they're a more laid back crowd imo.

The pike has calmed down a bit for sure, but when it's nice out there's still a good crowd... they just go to route 9 to race instead of doing it on the actual pike (which is probably why police haven't really bothered us). Out of all the nights I've stayed there late last summer we only got kicked out once.

And you know what's funny is last summer I did street race a CSG MK6 on the pike that I believe he said was Revo stage 1 at the time. Who knows we might've met and not realized it haha. We both had passengers, we went down pretty far on the pike almost into Meriden.

Last edited:

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
The focal point of this car since I got it has been the suspension and drivetrain in order to accomplish one thing: to eliminate or minimize the weaknesses of FWD. As evidenced by the new Civic Type R (and ClubSport S), a properly setup FWD car can be a serious contender. I have experimented with multiple suspension setups that I will be happy to share with you all.
I am curious why you didn't seek out a Golf R as a starting point. I am considering making more engine modifications to my GTI and wonder if I will be disappointed without AWD. What was your thought process on that?

zef

Ready to race!
I am curious why you didn't seek out a Golf R as a starting point. I am considering making more engine modifications to my GTI and wonder if I will be disappointed without AWD. What was your thought process on that?
I didn't go for the R because I knew I wasn't looking for a crazy amount of power from this car (which would be pointless for that very reason you mention). The KO4 allows you to gain a healthy bump in power, but without overpowering the chassis completely. With proper suspension and drivetrain modifications you can still maintain that well balanced, nimble, all around fun car that the GTI was meant to be.

The price difference between the models was also fairly large (over $10,000 at the time), which played a factor as well.