GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

ASTRID - Track Rat Build

Tony48

Ready to race!
Chiming in here just to say that you are doing this car RIGHT. Well done sir :clap:

I can't wait for more updates.

zef

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone! At this point it's just a waiting game, I have all the parts waiting to go on as soon as the car gets back from paint. Hoping to have the car back in a couple of weeks.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
For you "track rats" Eibach still has their remote reservoir coilovers which are the top of the line R2 set for huge discount. 1671.00 for a set that used to sell for 3200. LINK

jay745

track sl00t
For you "track rats" Eibach still has their remote reservoir coilovers which are the top of the line R2 set for huge discount. 1671.00 for a set that used to sell for 3200. LINK
I'm still upset. I paid ALOT more for those coilovers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Go Kart Champion

Holy shit. That cheap!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zef

Ready to race!

Wow I paid a little bit more than that for mine, I think they were around $1,850 when I bought through Eibach. Must've dropped the price again.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Wow I paid a little bit more than that for mine, I think they were around $1,850 when I bought through Eibach. Must've dropped the price again.
Yes they dropped it again, I am tempted to buy a set and just keep my R1 for back up.

zef

Ready to race!
Decided to clean up the front page a little bit, still figuring out what the best size for photos with imgur is.

zef

Ready to race!
Rockers are back to 100%, OEM Golf R side skirts are fitted and fitment is perfect...worth every penny. New Revozport Hood is being test fitted tomorrow to see how it lines up with the seibon fenders and if everything looks good the car's coming back apart (glass included) for paint!!! This car is going to look better than the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

zef

Ready to race!
Decided to take some time last night to start rebuilding my 1 brembo caliper and assembling the brand new one (I bought these from jshay over the Christmas holiday and UPS managed to lose one of the calipers so we split the cost of buying a new one). Obtained the necessary rebuild kit from Excelerate Performance who also provided the conditioning fluid for the seals. Also got new bleeders and hardware because why the hell not.

Old caliper cleaned up really well.

New Race Technologies RE10 pads sitting nicely inside the new caliper. Easiest pad change ever. Pistons pushed back into the caliper by hand with minimal effort.

Also shout out to zrickety who sold me his Unibrace RB. First of the couple chassis upgrades I plan to get.

jay745

track sl00t
Good stuff. I have to rebuild my calipers soon as well. Never done it before, how'd you get the pistons out initially?

You'll like the RB. Paired very well with the sway bar upgrades.

zef

Ready to race!
Good stuff. I have to rebuild my calipers soon as well. Never done it before, how'd you get the pistons out initially?

You'll like the RB. Paired very well with the sway bar upgrades.
Compressed air where the brake hose connects. Stick a block of wood in the center of the caliper so that if 1 piston comes out faster than the others it prevents it from popping out before the others. Once all the pistons are pushing on the block of wood take out the block, then take a pick and gently pop the dust boots off, then take a pair of needle nose pliers and stick them in the channel of the piston and then rock the piston back and forth till it pops out. You might have to use a little bit of muscle so be careful. If you can have a friend hold the caliper or have a big vise it makes it easier.

Don't grip it on any surface of the piston that goes into the bore like we did, otherwise you end up with something like this:

If you mar the cylinder of the piston itself in anyway, it's no good and you gotta replace the piston. Basically treat it like a piston in your engine block.

Once all the pistons are out, take the pick and gently pick out the seal being careful not to score the bore inside the caliper. Once the seals are out, blow it with more compressed air in case any gunk is inside there. If there is any gunk on the piston or cylinder bore you can clean it with a rag and some rubbing alcohol. Lube up the seals with centric caliper assembly lube and reinsert (my brembos are unique in that I have to soak them in special conditioning fluid for at least 24 hours before I install them). Once the seals are inserted, lube up the pistons and slide them in. You should be able to push them all the way in with 1 finger (or 2 if your hands are small). If you have to force them in anyway then there's an issue with the seal and you need to pop the piston back out and check the seal to make sure it's seated properly. Then pop the dust boots on and you're good to go. Rinse and repeat.

I highly recommend going through Dave Zeckhausen for your stoptech parts. He helped my buddy big time walking us through the process and getting us the necessary rebuild parts. He might not be the cheapest but if you ever run into a problem or a question he's super knowledgeable and can help you with anything you might need that's brake related.