GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Decided to clean up the front page a little bit, still figuring out what the best size for photos with imgur is.

it varies picture to picture. cropping helps only so much.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Rockers are back to 100%, OEM Golf R side skirts are fitted and fitment is perfect...worth every penny. New Revozport Hood is being test fitted tomorrow to see how it lines up with the seibon fenders and if everything looks good the car's coming back apart (glass included) for paint!!! This car is going to look better than the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Decided to take some time last night to start rebuilding my 1 brembo caliper and assembling the brand new one (I bought these from jshay over the Christmas holiday and UPS managed to lose one of the calipers so we split the cost of buying a new one). Obtained the necessary rebuild kit from Excelerate Performance who also provided the conditioning fluid for the seals. Also got new bleeders and hardware because why the hell not.

Old caliper cleaned up really well.

New Race Technologies RE10 pads sitting nicely inside the new caliper. Easiest pad change ever. Pistons pushed back into the caliper by hand with minimal effort.

Also shout out to zrickety who sold me his Unibrace RB. First of the couple chassis upgrades I plan to get.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Good stuff. I have to rebuild my calipers soon as well. Never done it before, how'd you get the pistons out initially?

You'll like the RB. Paired very well with the sway bar upgrades.

Compressed air where the brake hose connects. Stick a block of wood in the center of the caliper so that if 1 piston comes out faster than the others it prevents it from popping out before the others. Once all the pistons are pushing on the block of wood take out the block, then take a pick and gently pop the dust boots off, then take a pair of needle nose pliers and stick them in the channel of the piston and then rock the piston back and forth till it pops out. You might have to use a little bit of muscle so be careful. If you can have a friend hold the caliper or have a big vise it makes it easier.

Don't grip it on any surface of the piston that goes into the bore like we did, otherwise you end up with something like this:

If you mar the cylinder of the piston itself in anyway, it's no good and you gotta replace the piston. Basically treat it like a piston in your engine block.

Once all the pistons are out, take the pick and gently pick out the seal being careful not to score the bore inside the caliper. Once the seals are out, blow it with more compressed air in case any gunk is inside there. If there is any gunk on the piston or cylinder bore you can clean it with a rag and some rubbing alcohol. Lube up the seals with centric caliper assembly lube and reinsert (my brembos are unique in that I have to soak them in special conditioning fluid for at least 24 hours before I install them). Once the seals are inserted, lube up the pistons and slide them in. You should be able to push them all the way in with 1 finger (or 2 if your hands are small). If you have to force them in anyway then there's an issue with the seal and you need to pop the piston back out and check the seal to make sure it's seated properly. Then pop the dust boots on and you're good to go. Rinse and repeat.

I highly recommend going through Dave Zeckhausen for your stoptech parts. He helped my buddy big time walking us through the process and getting us the necessary rebuild parts. He might not be the cheapest but if you ever run into a problem or a question he's super knowledgeable and can help you with anything you might need that's brake related.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Progress has been a little slow, but the hood was test fitted today and it actually lines up really well. I was worried about having 2 different aftermarket parts having gaps like the grand canyon, but both seibon and revozport are pretty high quality pieces and the fitment was pretty spot on.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car is coming along nicely...I didn't realize it was your epic build getting the RB lol.
Can't wait to see it done!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Still patiently waiting for my car to be done, but in the meantime, I got my downpipe back from Swain Tech. Unfortunately I already touched it with dirty hands, but they said it wouldn't have any effect on the coatings ability to do its job

zef

Drag Racing Champion
That sticky icky :drool::drool::drool:

Just bought a set of Motegi Racing MR140 wheels off Tire Rack. Only 18.6lbs and $170/wheel. 18x8.5 et45. As a track only wheel it'll be perfect (and hopefully it fits lol). Turns out Hoosiers run a lot wider than typical street tires given the same size (which makes no sense to me) so the rears are going to be tight.

Also decided to wrap my neuspeed pipes in DEI foil, because why not?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The update I am sure many of you have been waiting for......... first coats of paint going on!!!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Some more pics today after rolling out of the paint booth. All that's left is to paint the bumpers/fenders and start reassembly!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Think I missed something, Why's it getting resprayed again?

When I got the car it was in really rough shape. It was daily driven in NYC (I confirmed this when I had the windshield replaced as I found all of the parking garage stubs under the dash). Both bumpers were chewed, fender had a key mark, lots of door dings, etc.

In addition, the car was hit on the passenger side and poorly repaired. Some rust started to develop there as a result...and to top it off, the pinch welds were all crushed underneath.

Since the car needed a lot of work I just decided since 70% of the car was getting repainted might as well change the color lol