GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
She's home!

Lots more pictures to follow tomorrow.

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks great man. You changed color? Candy white to a different white?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Looks great man. You changed color? Candy white to a different white?

Yessir! Candy White to Suzuka Gray (grey?)

The seibon fenders give a lot of extra room!

Only problem is I am missing a front lip piece of my bumper. Hopefully can find it and get it on there asap.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Absolutely stunning. You've made great choices both cosmetically and mechanically and it has been a pleasure to watch the process. I look forward to seeing photos of this beast tearing up the track this summer! You deserve to be proud of this car.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Absolutely stunning. You've made great choices both cosmetically and mechanically and it has been a pleasure to watch the process. I look forward to seeing photos of this beast tearing up the track this summer! You deserve to be proud of this car.

Appreciate the kind words, it means a lot! This project has been exhausting but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Took memorial day to clean up my wheels, relocate my gauges from the steering wheel (where they don't fit) to the upper vents. Also finally got around to wrapping my door trim in carbon fiber.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Paid a final visit to Excelerate Performance for a final wrap up before my track day on June 18th. Hoosier R7 tires (255/35/18) were mounted on my new Motegi MR140 wheels. Clearance is very tight in the rear, and even with a modest 45 offset they hit the shock in the front. Nothing a 5mm spacer can't fix. The front wheels were very close to my brembos too so the 5mm spacer will help with that too. Still plenty of room to work with thanks to the seibon fenders.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
thanks guys! hoping I wont rub with the 5mm...I had to get special lugs because the motgeis come with allen lugs since a regular lug you cant get a socket on because the holes are very small...with the 5mm spacer I had to track down longer ones

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Ever since going KO4 and competing with the car I always noticed the bottom of the DSG looked "wet" with DSG fluid. I had the rear main seal replaced with the iabed part so I was fairly confident that wasn't the case. I even replaced the DSG pan with a new gasket, yet the issue remained.

Finally, I found out that the DSG trans actually has a breather port on top next to the starter. Instead of just accepting this as an asinine design, I looked to a possible solution. Because the port is very small, it would be difficult to come up with a catch can solution because the port would have to be tapped which wouldn't be possible with the trans still on the car.

The solution? A $30 part from Volkswagen. The MK7R comes with a "breather box" that plugs into the port that clips onto the stock battery box. Figured it was worth a try, and turns out it literally plugs right in on the MK6 GTI! Because I have the ECS tuning battery box I was able to secure it to my tyrolsport master cylinder bracket. I'll just have to empty it every once in awhile.

https://www.shopdap.com/02e-301-472-e.html

Thanks to Dan @ Excelerate Performance for the suggestion!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Dropped the car off at ACI Dynamix today for a full front nose clear bra and 9H Ceramic coating...exactly 1 week away until my first track day of the year.

Driving around on the new suspension and....wow....whereas the feedback through the steering wheel was always numb, the camber plates/coils have opened up a whole new line of communication and it's incredible. On full soft it's actually quite nice, not harsh at all.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Great build, love the color! However i was curious as to why did you take off passat spindles?

Great question. Unfortunately, my Brembo BBK bolts to the outside of the spindle. The "ears" of the Passat spindles are thicker, so the brackets are pushed too far inside the wheel well for the calipers to bolt up. This wasn't an issue with my prior brake setup because they bolted to the inside of the spindle, and all I had to do was run longer caliper bolts.

Both with the Passat spindle and with the OE steel spindle, my superpro ball joints had no problem clearing the brembo rotors (355x32); though the clearance is pretty tight. I'll have to DEI foil wrap the boots just to be safe.