GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Great question. Unfortunately, my Brembo BBK bolts to the outside of the spindle. The "ears" of the Passat spindles are thicker, so the brackets are pushed too far inside the wheel well for the calipers to bolt up. This wasn't an issue with my prior brake setup because they bolted to the inside of the spindle, and all I had to do was run longer caliper bolts.

Both with the Passat spindle and with the OE steel spindle, my superpro ball joints had no problem clearing the brembo rotors (355x32); though the clearance is pretty tight. I'll have to DEI foil wrap the boots just to be safe.

Did you think about machining the "ears," or was the "offset" too big?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Did you think about machining the "ears," or was the "offset" too big?

It absolutely crossed my mind, but this was discovered earlier this week with less than a week to go before my track day at Thompson. Due to time constraints I decided it was better to go back to steel.

It was off by a fairly significant amount however, so I am not sure that would be safe. What I would end up having to do most likely is building custom brackets.

If the steel spindles do end up failing then I'll either have to change my brake setup again or figure out at way to make it work.

DEI wrapping the ball joints is good practice anyways.

Agreed, I'm going to wrap the ABS sensors too just to be safe.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Thanks! glad i found your build thread... I have set of boxster brembo calipers, waiting on rebuild, before i install on my mk5. I was contemplating passat spindles, for un-sprung weight reduction, but looks like i may have to do some more research.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks! glad i found your build thread... I have set of boxster brembo calipers, waiting on rebuild, before i install on my mk5. I was contemplating passat spindles, for un-sprung weight reduction, but looks like i may have to do some more research.

Those I am pretty sure bolt to the inside of the spindle so you should be okay, but definitely double check.

Zef did you by chance weigh the spindles to see what the weight savings actually is? I've considered doing that for years (last part of the unsprung weight items that I haven't converted over) but the fitment with brakes has kept me away.

I didn't, but someone else did: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47369&page=2

About ~3lb difference per spindle.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Today was a final big push to get the car ready for tomorrow.

- New APR Intake filter
- Cleaned MAF
- Changed oil with fresh 300v
- Wrapped ABS sensors/ball joints in DEI foil (clearance between superpro ball joint and rotor is literally 1mm, maybe 2)
- Test fitted 8mm APR spacers with extended tuner lug bolts (35mm bolts) on front to ensure proper clearance
- Fresh coat of glass sealant in anticipation of the crummy weather

- And finally fully packed the car with everything (tools and all)

Here's what the fronts look like with 8mm spacers. Originally 5mm cleared the shock, but only barely. It was decided 10mm would be too much, so I went with 8mm, and it's totally spot on.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
First track day was a huge success. It was pouring ass rain for the first 2 sessions which made for lots of fun. It dried up for the last 2 sessions and I got some quality runs in. Oil temps got pretty warm (~265F), but coolant temps seemed pretty stable. "brake fluid-owners manual" came on a few times pulling into the pits, but I am assuming that's my car complaining about hot brake fluid.

Oh, and I also cracked my downpipe pretty good (again!), so I have an APR downpipe going in to replace my Cobb. Done with that company forever.

Photos/Video coming soon...

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
First track day was a huge success. It was pouring ass rain for the first 2 sessions which made for lots of fun. It dried up for the last 2 sessions and I got some quality runs in. Oil temps got pretty warm (~265F), but coolant temps seemed pretty stable. "brake fluid-owners manual" came on a few times pulling into the pits, but I am assuming that's my car complaining about hot brake fluid.

Oh, and I also cracked my downpipe pretty good (again!), so I have an APR downpipe going in to replace my Cobb. Done with that company forever.

Yeah I’ve heard complaints numerous times on Cobb exhausts. Subi platform has issues with them too.

Did you check your reservoir when that popped up? What fluid you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I’ve heard complaints numerous times on Cobb exhausts. Subi platform has issues with them too.

Did you check your reservoir when that popped up? What fluid you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reservoir was full, level didn't budge.

3 day old Castrol SRF fluid.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

Where? What track? Per chance, did you log EGT?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

new APR downpipe is pretty well constructed, my 42dd downpipe cracked also, hopefully APR one will last

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Where? What track? Per chance, did you log EGT?

This was at Thompson. I didn't log EGT, but if I had to guess it was pretty damn hot (1800F+). To be fair this was the re-welded downpipe I've had for over a year so I knew I was on somewhat borrowed time.

new APR downpipe is pretty well constructed, my 42dd downpipe cracked also, hopefully APR one will last

I have the old style downpipe, but I've heard good things.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
This was at Thompson. I didn't log EGT, but if I had to guess it was pretty damn hot (1800F+). To be fair this was the re-welded downpipe I've had for over a year so I knew I was on somewhat borrowed time.

I have the old style downpipe, but I've heard good things.

I should have joined you! That's not too far away from me.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I should have joined you! That's not too far away from me.

I'm headed to Palmer on June 27th and back to Thompson on July 5th.