GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Went back to Thompson for another fun (and scary as shit) day. Random thunderstorm rolled through and dumped water on the track. Decided to go back out on Hoosiers before the track totally dried and surprisingly wasn't as sketchy as I thought it would be.

Now that I am getting comfortable with the car, in planning for the future I decided I am going to spec the car for the SCCA Time Trial National Tour in Max 2 (M2). Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team (CART) has their own time trial program that mimics the SCCA's classes/rules, with the exception of allowing tires under 200 treadwear in any class. This allows me to compete in 2 different time trial programs with a simple change of tires.

The car is already mostly specced for the Max class, but I am planning some "improvements" over the next 6-8 months before the 2020 track season starts:

- Bring the car up to safety level 2 standards (4 point roll bar, SPG XL bucket seat, hans, fire suit, fire extinguisher), gut interior behind the front seats

- Verkline (akmotorsports.net) Tubular Subframe, Tubular Front Control Arms, Spherical Rear Bushings/Rear Control Arms, Spherical Rear Toe Arms, Rear Subframe Inserts
- Delete the A/C, Sunroof, & add a lightweight battery
- For the CART events, I will stick with my 18x8.5 Motegi's with the 255/35 Hoosiers. But for the SCCA events, I will be going with the following:
Enkei GTC01-RR 18x9.5 +45, 255/35/18 Advan A052
Enkei GTC01-RR 18x8.5 +35, 225/40/18 Advan A052

Finally, I am working with a local company on having a custom front splitter, rear diffuser, & rear wing developed. Of all things I think this car will benefit from most, it'll be from proper aero.

I'll be headed to Palmer at the end of next month then back to Thompson in September. I'll likely find a few Trakc Night in America events to attend to in between, but it looks like racing season is starting to come to a close.

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Awwww yeah. If you need help with removing any interior bits lemme know. Just got mostly done with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Damn dropping some serious coin on the car, I approve....is your place of business hiring for an IT director?? :wub:

The rear suspension stuff you're doing is a game changer. I gained so much confidence in handling on the track after upgrading all the bushings, toe arms, and control arms

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trying to spend all the money I have before I get married, haha.

It'll be spread out over a period of time. The safety stuff will likely come first though. I think I'll actually gain quite a bit of time from having a proper bucket seat and harness.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Trying to spend all the money I have before I get married, haha.

It'll be spread out over a period of time. The safety stuff will likely come first though. I think I'll actually gain quite a bit of time from having a proper bucket seat and harness.

BEST IDEA^^^^^ am married now. Buy it all before marriage. After the fact you get next to nothing for car parts anymore. Once in awhile when you get a good deal. Like under $100 good deal

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
BEST IDEA^^^^^ am married now. Buy it all before marriage. After the fact you get next to nothing for car parts anymore. Once in awhile when you get a good deal. Like under $100 good deal

Not if you marry the right one. Sounds terrible to give up your hobbies and passion after getting married.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Not if you marry the right one. Sounds terrible to give up your hobbies and passion after getting married.

It’s not that it’s given up. She’d sell my car if I had no say lol. It’s just the money isn’t there at the moment and she doesn’t understand why I spend so much money on it.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Yup, when you have a wife and kids you have to put the family first. I make good money but I have a side business just to pay for my hobbies. If I don't make any money I don't buy any toys.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Haha, she gets it. This is the "last" round of upgrades I think before the car is really where I want it to be. Once the aero, cage, and spherical suspension bits the only thing really left is go to stage 3...but there are 2 Focus ST's that run with our club both with the gtx2867R and they're both consistently slower. I doubt the extra power will make that much of a difference unless I am on a bigger track like Road Atlanta...but most of the tracks here (Palmer, Thompson, Lime Rock) are tighter/more technical and you'd really only be using the extra power on the main straights. Plus the extra wear/tear on the motor of an extra 50-60hp...not really an investment that's going to yield significant gains.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Dude, how come the Revosport front and rear spoilers aren't on the car? Also, what did you do with the Koni's? :)

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Dude, how come the Revosport front and rear spoilers aren't on the car? Also, what did you do with the Koni's? :)

I have a local company building me a chassis mount rear wing :) the revozport one is going up for sale.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
First thing that I think has actually failed on this car so far... the bolt that holds the axle cup in place fell out, causing the seal to fail slinging transmission fluid everywhere. Literally 3 days before the Ignition Speed Festival at Foxwoods on Sunday. I had the car towed to Excelerate Performance for emergency surgery last night and I hope to have the car at the end of the day today. Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving early to go help setup the autocross course at the lot (we're at lot 10, the employee lot north of Foxwoods near the Dunkin). Then will be spending the rest of the day with the fiancé before we hit the Monza go-kart track Saturday night, stay the night in Fox Tower, then it'll be racing all day on Sunday. Hoonigan is going to be live streaming the event and broke.east will be having a car show at the Great Cedar Garage as well. To wrap things up there will be an after party at the Shrine night club. It's going to be an awesome event!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Today was awesome. Went to Palmer Motorsports Park for Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team's 4th Time Trial of the year. After dealing with some annoying mechanical issues early in the day, costing me almost 2 full sessions of seat time, I was able to get in a solid practice session after lunch. Despite all of that for the actual Time Trial I managed to place second place with a 1:56.6. After the Time Trials were over we had over an hour of open track time so I decided to add 5 gallons of GT260 race gas and switch the tune and was so upset I was afraid to try it all this time. I ran the car absolutely ragged the entire hour and corded my Hoosiers in the process. All in all a great day.

https://youtu.be/I5NRWwiLI54