GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Long overdue update...

Beginning of September I went to Lime Rock for an autocross to hang out with Slip Angle Media and Modified Machines on their inside track. I got my hands on some used A6's and had a blast.

The following weekend I participated as a VIP for a broke.east meet at the Christopher Dodd memorial stadium in Norwich. I decided to go full track mode and threw my Hoosiers on for the event. I was blown away by how many idiots were chastising my car for having Hoosiers on the rear "of a fwd car"....

The very next day I drove down to Pocono for a SCCA Track Night in America event. Ran the east configuration (top and bottom straights and both infields) Got up to 140mph on the long straight and lap after lap the brakes took the abuse without complaint. Picked up 10 gallons of 104 octane for cheap from someone local and went to town. This is so far my favorite track (even though its about 6 1/2 hours of driving down and back).

Finally, the last event of the season was yesterday at Thompson Speedway. Car was running strong all day throughout all the practice sessions...found a much faster line through turns 3, 6, and 9. Then it came to the time attack sessions. I felt extremely confident that I would be able to improve upon my personal best. As I was crossing the start/finish line to begin my first flyer lap I quickly peeked in the rear view mirror to see a trail of smoke down the front straight. No CEL, no weird sounds, boost is normal...I thought "screw it, I'm sending it". I completed my 2 flyer laps and pulled into pit in and by this time the smoke was bad. I parked in the paddock, got the car up on a jack and saw fluid start to pour out from the side of the belly pan. Then took off the belly pan to see this:

I managed to crack the passenger side case of my transmission; likely from my Hoosiers causing excessive chassis flex despite having solid track mounts and several chassis bracing upgrades. It was the low pressure side thankfully, as the car was running 100% normal despite the smoke so the clutch packs should be intact. Despite all of that, I managed to shave over a second off my best time (with a smoking transmission) to a 1:23.4 which earned me P1 in class. Once the transmission is fixed, next will be safety upgrades (roll bar, seats, harness), some aero upgrades...then I'll be hunting for 22's.

I was also awarded a 1st place trophy from my time attack event at Palmer last month. Due to a classing error, a car that was supposed to be in Prepared ended up in Tuner. I was 2nd only a few tenths behind, so after he was moved, I was bumped to P1.

At the very least I'll need a new case, but for now the car will sit on jackstands until I figure everything out. Lots of other stuff planned as well for this winter, I'll make sure to keep you all updated as stuff progresses.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
After bouncing between shops for a couple of months, she's finally home...transmission ended up being fine, was a much simpler fix than originally thought. After getting that fixed I had ACI Dynamix do a top layer of ceramic pro to freshen up the paint right before winter storage.

Speaking of.....

I landed an awesome garage spot very close to home. About ~1500sq of heated garage space. Splitting it with a buddy of mine and storing a few friends cars for the winter so pretty much paying close to nothing for it. It needs some TLC, but a fresh coat of paint and a clean floor go a long way....

Before...

After (minus ceilings)

This will allow me to work on my car basically on and off all winter without tying up our only garage spot so the fiance can have the garage for her new MK7 GTI she just bought (almost forgot how smooth a stock GTI rides)

So for the winter the big focus will be on finishing the interior, building aero, doing some maintenance and cutting weight.

Just a short list of things to do:

- Delete air conditioning, sunroof, remove remaining sound deadening & install lightweight battery (estimated additional ~150lbs in weight savings)
- Build templates for custom front splitter & rear diffuser. I met a guy that comes to our time trial events that has his own company that specializes in custom aero. To save time (and money), I'll be using cardboard to get a rough sketch then bring the car to him to dial in finishing touches.
- Install Verkline (previously AK Motorsports) tubular front subframe & control arms - ideally this will eliminate any chassis flex in the front of the car that likely caused my issue at the last track day. Also a decent weight savings.
- Install racing seats (Recaro SPG XL's), 6 point harnesses, and a roll bar--likely just a bolt in autopower for now.
- Install girodisc rear rotors for a few extra pounds of unsprung weight savings
- Swap out GFB DV+ for the Turbosmart ERM V1
- Install water meth system, likely going with a simple dual port from Usually Sideways Rally Team (https://usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_259&products_id=2045)
- If time permits, I'd like to fully drop the rear subframe to have everything properly painted. This was something I wanted to get done last winter but ran out of time.

Finally, will wrap up with a new wheel & tire setup. Currently looking at a reverse stagger setup - Enkei GTC01RR 18x9.5 +45 with a 255/35/18 Advan A052, with a 18x8.5 +35 with a 225/40 rear. I am really curious to see how the car behaves with this setup, if I find that I need to loosen the rear end more I will start messing with sway bars again.

Stay tuned as there should be more regular updates once the car gets on jack stands.

torga

Autocross Champion
Man, what a fun build to follow. Can't wait for more!

Also, had no idea about Verkline. That's really cool that someone makes custom subframes and LCAs for our cars. They look beautiful.

Reactions: zef

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Trying to spend all the money I have before I get married, haha....

Not if you marry the right one. Sounds terrible to give up your hobbies and passion after getting married....

CONGRATS! I somehow missed this... Note that once you get married, everything becomes half price... When we see each other again, I'll tell you how I met my wife who just green lit putting a deposit down on a C8 (eewww...old man in a Vette, I know...).

For your garage, you need this assuming you don't have one already...

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/bl-5000slx/

Reactions: zef

zef

Drag Racing Champion
CONGRATS! I somehow missed this... Note that once you get married, everything becomes half price... When we see each other again, I'll tell you how I met my wife who just green lit putting a deposit down on a C8 (eewww...old man in a Vette, I know...).

For your garage, you need this assuming you don't have one already...

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/bl-5000slx/

I'll definitely have to add it to the list!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Whats the benefit of going to turbosmart from the gfb dv+?

Great question. I've had some issues with my gfb in the past and just looking to try something new. Plus the full metal construction is attractive given the heat that goes on down there during track days.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Great question. I've had some issues with my gfb in the past and just looking to try something new. Plus the full metal construction is attractive given the heat that goes on down there during track days.

What issues were they? My R had the GFB installed on it when I got it, and I'm leaning towards replacing it with something else. I think it's starting to fail and is causing some intermittent turbo flutter.
On an unrelated note, if you ever decide to get rid of that headunit let me know. ;)
Fantastic build btw.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

Ah ok, really looking forward to your build. I have had heat issues with K04 in California summer track days, looking into oil coolers as well. Luckily I don't have any issues with gfb yet, but who knows maybe I'll go turbosmart jsut because also lol

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Main reason I want a house is for the garage. So jealous of that one.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Main reason I want a house is for the garage. So jealous of that one.

It's probably 30 minutes or so from you. You're always welcome to come check it out

Ah ok, really looking forward to your build. I have had heat issues with K04 in California summer track days, looking into oil coolers as well. Luckily I don't have any issues with gfb yet, but who knows maybe I'll go turbosmart jsut because also lol

Thankfully no known overheating issues so far but hottest I think I've run is 88-90F ambient. Either way an oil cooler is a sound investment.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
What issues were they? My R had the GFB installed on it when I got it, and I'm leaning towards replacing it with something else. I think it's starting to fail and is causing some intermittent turbo flutter.
On an unrelated note, if you ever decide to get rid of that headunit let me know. ;)
Fantastic build btw.

Thank you! I am getting intermittent flutter as well and seeing if the turbosmart eliminates that as well.