GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AT to MT 2.5 engines interchangeable?

cutchemist42

So looking at getting a used 2.5L to put in my MT car. Is the AT engine interchangeable or would various sensors or electrical connections parts be different?

My car is currently a 2.5 and would remain a MT.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Screenshot_20210805-113041_Chrome.jpg

So I guess what I'm wondering is the oil pressure sensor.

My 5th digit in my VIN is A so I absolutely dont have to worry about the oil pressure sensor location?

I just find it odd because have both A and X engines across the same range of years.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I would think it has more to do with early vs later engine, than if its manual vs automatic but best to contact the dismantler first before purchasing.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It would be very unlike VW to have different engines for auto vs manual transmissions.

I read a whole thread about swapping a manual transmission into an automatic 2008 MK5 2.5L car. Nowhere did it mention any changed needed to the engine itself.

To MLue's point I would be more concerned with the power steering setup (hydraulic vs electronic). Some later engines used hydraulic power steering. Even at that because you will strip it down even that probably won't mater as you have all the externall parts already from your current engine.

Last edited: