GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

auto trans whackiness

Jet DH

Passed Driver's Ed
every once in a while, especially when it is really hot out
- my trans 'acts' like it would in sport mode.
Revs higher before it shifts blah blah

But then - It only shifts to like fourth gear even on the highway at like 70 mph. Wind up putting it manual mode and shifting it that way. If I stop somewhere and it cools down, usually goes away.

Im gonna get it flushed filled new filter all that good stuff also.

Anyone know where to get a good filter besides like Advance or NAPA...

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I've seen kits on ebay like the one in the below link to do it yourself.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361871238569

Filter only maybe Amazon.

I have been told by many mechanics, 2 of which I really trust, who say you shouldn't flush an automatic transmission. Just change the fluid. They say many places use solvents which can cause major problems. Also, if it is higher mileage the theory is the same as why you should never do an engine flush. Grime and debri can actually get dislodged and forced into areas you really don't want it (blocking passageways for example) as well as sometimes this sludge and debri may actually be what is allowing a seal to hold. Like a nail in a tire.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The autoboxes in the Rabbits have a rep for probs with the transmission valve body, so I suspect that it maybe the same with the Golf as well. I can't confirm of deny this, some peeps say that it's the same automatic transmission used in a Toyota, but only VWs have problems, it may be the extra torque IDK.

At this point and since its only once in a while, just change to fluid as WW indicated, but make sure the mechanic is precise with the top level. Hopefully that does the trick.

Jet DH

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah...after doing a bit more research, it seems the solenoids like to clog up a bit. Usually a fluid change (no flush) clears a lot of that up. Gonna get new filter/gasket too
Reckon the Golfkart is going to the shop for a day....

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah...after doing a bit more research, it seems the solenoids like to clog up a bit. Usually a fluid change (no flush) clears a lot of that up. Gonna get new filter/gasket too
Reckon the Golfkart is going to the shop for a day....
The valve body and solenoids are reachable when the transmission pan is removed, so it can be removed easily and cleaned, since you plan to change the filter as well.

Last edited: