GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner Gti/Car owner and need help modding my first car

jagerp

This is a follow up to the first post I've made: (Old Post):

"I'm 17 and just got a mk6 gti with 114 000 km, I would really like to start modding and wanted to add a cold air intake, rims, and a downpipe. Tuning to stage 1 would be the next upgrade but I currently don't have the funds. Do these seem like some good first mods? If not, what could be changed to maximize performance? Also, giving me advice on specific brands/parts to buy would be a great help!"
GTI: DSG 2010

The post got a lot more responses than I inticipated, for some reason the website was being buggy and didn't let me see the responses until now. Furthermore, I have decided to take a step forward and really start to investigate to see what would be best for my car. I recently got the car serviced and everything is working fine except for what I believe is my brake pads or brake rotors. When I begin to break, the car almost jitters a couple times before coming to a complete stop. I did a bit of research and found out that it could be warped rotors. If that be the case, I would need to replace those which will set me back a couple hundred (CAD). Moving on from that, I will for sure be getting a stage 1 apr or Cobb (depending on what upgrades I decided to go with) tune, and getting my local to shop to add a CBE or downpipe... hoping it won't be to expensive. Does anyone have any ideas on the price of a downpipe or exhaust to be bought and installed? After that, I was looking into lowering my gti a couple inches... my friend recently did it and it looks dope. Thoughts? For my final "big" upgrade I was thinking about a cold air intake, R8 coils or a GFB DV+... very tough choice, can someone please let me know if these are good upgrades! Finally, for aesthetics I'm going to tint my back windows and get a window banner! I WOULD REALLY LOVE SOME INSIGHT TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE WOULD BE GOOD UPGRADES. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
This kind of topic seems to be a common theme lately, so there’s definitely some recent posts you can look through as well but to start off:
  1. Take care of maintenance first, before you do anything else to the car. This includes all the high-failure items known to go on this platform (timing chain tensioner, water pump, etc.)
  2. Try re-bedding the brakes. I had a slight vibration under braking recently and was looking around, saw somewhere it could be hot spotting or pad deposits and I was suggested to try re-bedding the pads to remove the deposits. 10 or so hard (but not extreme) brakes from 60 down to 30. Then drive around and let your brakes cool, helped me a ton and I don’t have any vibration. Plus, it’s free to try.
  3. Catback is for sound, downpipe is for performance. Everyone here is going to recommend a downpipe over catback, so it just depends on whether or not you want catless or catted. People have run super cheap eBay downpipes with relative success. You could probably install yourself in 4hrs or less, if not you could buy and install a cheapo catless for under $300 probably.
  4. If it’s between an intake, R8 coils or a DV+ I’d probably say to go with the DV+. Then after that, R8 coils and fresh plugs.
  5. I have the Cobb AP and it’s functional and I datalog regularly with it. The Cobb OTS tunes are really weak and run rich, it leaves a lot on the table. You have the opportunity for more features and Protuning, if desired, but I’m not sure if that interests you. APR will be stronger out of the box. Set-it-and-forget-it power. Cobb you can upgrade your parts and tune as you go with no added cost
Hope this helps. Look through the stickies in the technical sections especially, lots of great info for starting out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Try to find used if you can to save some money. Pretty much every part on my car was used or BNIB.

For APR remember you need to have an APR dealer near you. COBB, Unitronic and IE allow you to tune from home with a PC laptop. Also is important for you to have a matching DSG and engine tune? Something to keep in mind. Another member has a COBB tune paired with another manufacturer DSG and he said it is going good.

Before tuning I’d do R8 coil packs, DV+ and new plugs. All you need to have more fun is the Stage 1 tune. You can collect other parts after you flash it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
If you're rotors aren't completely gone, you might be able to have them turned. With the mileage you have, it's likely you need new ones. And springs are going to be the cheapest way you can lower the car. I wouldn't go too low with springs only, it will ride like shit.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Don't turn your rotors. If they are warped they will will warp again if gotten hot.

That's strange because I turned mine and they're working great. But yea, I have half the mileage of his car and they're still well within the wear limit of 22mm. I even reused the original pads after giving them a quick buff. :oops: No more shimmy, no more warpy

SyDiko

Ready to race!
  1. Take care of maintenance first, before you do anything else to the car. This includes all the high-failure items known to go on this platform (timing chain tensioner, water pump, etc.)

This can't be stressed enough!

1. Timing Chain Tension should be checked and replaced (if it hasn't been done). If this fails, you are in for a very large repair bill.
  2. You should also look at doing a carbon cleaning.

When these are done, you can go nuts. Suspension > Rims/Tires > Exhaust > Tune > Enjoy. :)

fsures

Passed Driver's Ed
Along with all the regular upgrade suggestions, go to a club driving event and get to know your car before you start changing things.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Lots of good advice here so not much to add.

Speaking to the braking, I almost wonder if it's the ABS kicking in on spirited braking.
Do you feel a pulse sensation on the brake pedal or steering wheel?
If you're on OEM rotors and they look pitted and rusted that's your issue. Can you post pics (frontside/backside) of each of your rotors or at least describe what they look like?
I didn't change my pads/rotors till I was close to 190Km and I'm in ON. Not even a scratch on my rotors but I'm not DSG

jagerp

Lots of good advice here so not much to add.

Speaking to the braking, I almost wonder if it's the ABS kicking in on spirited braking.
Do you feel a pulse sensation on the brake pedal or steering wheel?
If you're on OEM rotors and they look pitted and rusted that's your issue. Can you post pics (frontside/backside) of each of your rotors or at least describe what they look like?
I didn't change my pads/rotors till I was close to 190Km and I'm in ON. Not even a scratch on my rotors but I'm not DSG

I'm not home tonight, ill be able to send some tomorrow.

jedred1

jedred1
1) Great Tires. 2a) 3" DP. 2b) Intake. 5) Tune

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie