GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner Gti/Car owner and need modding my first Car

jagerp

I'm 17 and just got a mk6 gti with 114 000 km, I would really like to start modding and wanted to add a cold air intake, rims, and a downpipe. Tuning to stage 1 would be the next upgrade but I currently don't have the funds. Do these seem like some good first mods? If not, what could be changed to maximize performance? Also, giving me advice on specific brands/parts to buy would be a great help!

Thanks!

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Search and read through the threads - there's literally one stickied for if you're starting out looking to mod your car. A tune will get you the most power for you money for sure. Downpipe and intake will mostly impact sound but are needed to go stage 2. Rims are mostly for aesthetics unless you're going lightweight. Decide what you goal/plan for you car is first, then ask specific questions

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
^^ Yea the order would be Stage 1 tune, air intake, then dp and stage 2. Are you banging gears or do you have the self shifter?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
  1. R8 coil packs and NGK plugs
  2. GFB DV+
  3. Stage 1/1+ Flash

4. Get sticky tires
  5. Obtain Intake
  6. Obtain Downpipe​
  7. Engine mounts and Pendulum mount​
  8. Flash Stage 2​

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Save your money until you can afford something that will make a difference, the car is plenty fun as is. Spend some money on good tires, and wheels if you want, but definitely put good tires on. If you don't have $600 for a tune, you don't have money for anything worthwile just yet. Good tires will cost that much. Save the money for now, get to know the car, enjoy it, and keep it maintained. With the mileage you have on it, it may need some work like brakes, coolant flush, etc. Don't spend your cash on wheels if your brake pads are toast, or if the car needs other work to get it up to standard.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you don't have $600 for a tune, you don't have money for anything worthwile just yet.
Totally disagree.

Plenty of fun, cheap bolts on you can do that are worthwhile for under $600. Here are just a few:

- Air intake $200
- Downpipe $400
- Short shifter $100
- rear sway bar $200
- GFB DV+ $150
- R8 Coils $100
- Billet pendulum mount $100

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Totally disagree.

Plenty of fun, cheap bolts on you can do that are worthwhile for under $600. Here are just a few:

- Air intake $200
- Downpipe $400
- Short shifter $100
- rear sway bar $200
- GFB DV+ $150
- R8 Coils $100
- Billet pendulum mount $100
I agree on the short shifter, but tires need to come first, depending on the condition of his current tires. Good tires can easily cost $600, and if he doesn't have that I wouldn't recommend spending $600 on an intake and down pipe just to make more noise.

Intake without tune = noise
Down pipe without tune = noise
Short shifter if he has a manual = good choice
Sway bar = potentially worthwhile
DV = noise
R8 coil = scene points?
Pendulum mount = potentially worthwhile

I just think it's silly to spend several hundred dollars on mods that won't help performance when you are 17 and scrounging up $600 is a challenge.

This is certainly a personal preference, but in OP's shoes I certainly wouldn't be blowing money on R8 coils, DV's, or down pipes until some more important things were taken care of first.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I agree on the short shifter, but tires need to come first, depending on the condition of his current tires. Good tires can easily cost $600, and if he doesn't have that I wouldn't recommend spending $600 on an intake and down pipe just to make more noise.

Intake without tune = noise
Down pipe without tune = noise
Short shifter if he has a manual = good choice
Sway bar = potentially worthwhile
DV = noise
R8 coil = scene points?
Pendulum mount = potentially worthwhile

I just think it's silly to spend several hundred dollars on mods that won't help performance when you are 17 and scrounging up $600 is a challenge.

This is certainly a personal preference, but in OP's shoes I certainly wouldn't be blowing money on R8 coils, DV's, or down pipes until some more important things were taken care of first.
Uhm, the point of things like the intake, downpipe, dv, and coil packs is to get him ready for the later tune. It isnt just for 'scene points', dont be dense.

Youre literally telling him to save his money until he has enough for a tune ($600) and then spend that $600 on some Pilot super sports instead of a tune. How is that realistic at all?

He is 17 years old, for dollar to happiness ratio the best thing he can probably do is spend 200 on an intake for a bit more throttle response and some nice whoosh noises.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Uhm, the point of things like the intake, downpipe, dv, and coil packs is to get him ready for the later tune. It isnt just for 'scene points', dont be dense.

Youre literally telling him to save his money until he has enough for a tune ($600) and then spend that $600 on some Pilot super sports instead of a tune. How is that realistic at all?

He is 17 years old, for dollar to happiness ratio the best thing he can probably do is spend 200 on an intake for a bit more throttle response and some nice whoosh noises.
I'm telling him not to spend money on an intake or down pipe that won't do anything until stage 2, and that buying good tires is a much better use of his money than spending in on things that may help him out eventually.

"nice whoosh noises" = scene points.
nice tires = actual performance improvement

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What year is it? (tensioner)

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
check out HPA Motorsports and RPIEquiped or CTSTurbo.. all located in BC.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Keep an eye out here, vwvortex and Facebook for used parts. Some good deals out there if you’re patient. If it’s manual, I’d go with a diesel geek short shifter as the first mod (as long as maintenance and tires are good).

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I'm 17 and just got a mk6 gti with 114 000 km, I would really like to start modding and wanted to add a cold air intake, rims, and a downpipe. Tuning to stage 1 would be the next upgrade but I currently don't have the funds. Do these seem like some good first mods? If not, what could be changed to maximize performance? Also, giving me advice on specific brands/parts to buy would be a great help!

Thanks!
I would do just the opposite, an intake, wheels and downpipe will do very little to maximize performance on a stock tune. Assuming maintenance is all up to date and the car is mechanically sound, I think the best bang for the buck first mod is a stage 1 tune. After that you can add supporting mods as you can afford them and eventually go stage 2 or KO4