GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best "mild" exhaust upgrade?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, I have a 2007 Rabbit and even with the Neuspeed intake, I'm left wanting a little more.
I used to have a Eurojet exhaust on my 2014 Golf and it sounded heavenly, though the older me would like something somewhere in between.

Is swapping out the stock resonator or the stock suitcase muffler for something aftermarket an advisable idea if I want something that's a little less than a catback system but has more bite than the stock system?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I also have a the full stock exhaust off a mk5 GTI if the suitcase or the mid-muffler from the GTI can be swapped on for a little more sound.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If nothing is welded in... try removing the resonator/mid muffler and put in a straight pipe in its place. .. drive it is for a few days on various roads, conditions and see how u like it.

Buddy of mine who has stock exhaust on his '13 removed the mid pipe and it sounds a bit deeper. Not by much. I like my quiet stock setup. At this age I don't need any more attention while I'm driving

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The mid muffler does most of the muffler work on the MK6 2.5, the rear suitcase does surprisingly less. IDK if the baffling is the same for the MK5 Rabbit tho.

I'd cut the pipe near the suitcase leaving enough left to rejoin if it doesnt work out and drive around a few days to see if no suitcase muffler floats you boat, ....then go from there.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
The mk5 2.5 might be a lot more different than I had assumed. I cut out the mid-muffler and there was zero change in sound. The shop I did it at quoted me quite a bit for the suitcase delete, so I just decided to bite the bullet and go with the Eurojet system. I had one on my mk6 2.5 6AT. Loved the sound, less so the highway drone. But then again I bought the 5 cyl to hear it.

I got the Eurojet on, and was disappointed that it sounded barely louder than stock at most RPMs. It's a bit boomier when I'm below 2000 RPM and I can hear a bit more above 5000 RPM but not as much as I remember from my mk6. It's only been about 100 miles, and the Eurojet system I had on the mk6 was used--maybe the sound will become more prominent as it gets broken in.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
My old 2007 GTI with South Bend SMF and stiff poly mounts did sound pretty interesting for a 4-banger.
I enjoy the 5 banger for its smoothness. It may not pull as hard as the GTI but it feels like whatever power it puts out comes on smoother.