GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Roof Racks?

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Getting rear ended would really suck. That's a nice bike. I originally wanted a hitch mounted rack for my Vanagon and 4Runner but lifting the gate/hatch would always be a pain in the ass. They have the swing away racks but those are cumbersome too.

Its not a pain in the ass because the whole rack folds down with enough clearance to open the hatch, even with the bikes on the rack. Also when the rack is not in use, it can be folded all the way up. Ill take some pictures.

Funny thing is that my buddy actually rear ended me while on a bike trip to whiteface. I had a Thule hitch rack on my Acura RSX, there was no damage to the car or the bikes, it was a low speed accident though.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Hitch rack and you will never damage your car or bike.....The rack folds down so you can still open the hatch with the bikes on the back.

True, i do like this option.

Not difficult at all. I'm sure it is possible to damage the car if the fork slips out of your hands or something, but not likely unless you just aren't paying attention.

And yes, your plan of action for putting the bike on the roof rack is correct.

Awesome, thanks!

Can someone with experience tell me how hard is to put a mountain bike up on the roof with the front wheel off, and can one run into risk of damaging the body of the car due to human error?

Do you first fit the rear tire on, then move forward while still holding the bike in order to get the front tightened up (wheel off), and then finish up the job with securing the rear tire?

I have been shoving two mountain bikes in the hatch for 2 years now and wanted to make my life a tad easier this upcoming season. Thanks!

It is really simple and easy give that the fork doesn't somehow slip out of your hand. I have the rockymounts bike racks and do the following: Place the rear tire on top of the car or on the rack itself (its a rubber tire so no damage), guild the fork to the attachment point on the bars, make sure rear tire is on the bar, clamp down the front, strap down the rear tire, Done! Process literately takes less than a minute including removing the front wheel (if you have a quick release system), I ride w/ a friend and she is about 5"4, has no problem putting the bike on herself. I am lowered but when I was stock height, she struggled a tiny bit but had no issues.

Throw front wheel in hatch. Really simple.

MKV Turbo15

23psi and fast as fuck!
Ive have both the Thule and the OEM and Ive gotta say Im digging the OEM more. A lot less water run off, and the foot set up is better. The Thule collects a substantial amount of dirt and grime under the foot pads which can scratch the roof pretty bad.

(If you guys were wondering, I provided neutral support for the USPCC. It was quite entertaining with a caged car (both of my cars are caged) but let me tell ya. Without a backseat that trunk holds a shit ton of wheels!)

Thule

OEM

Last edited:

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
^Nice pics. The GTI looks swag, found that picture when i was looking for OEM/bike set-ups. Good to know that OEM foot is safer/better.

It is really simple and easy give that the fork doesn't somehow slip out of your hand. I have the rockymounts bike racks and do the following: Place the rear tire on top of the car or on the rack itself (its a rubber tire so no damage), guild the fork to the attachment point on the bars, make sure rear tire is on the bar, clamp down the front, strap down the rear tire, Done! Process literately takes less than a minute including removing the front wheel (if you have a quick release system), I ride w/ a friend and she is about 5"4, has no problem putting the bike on herself. I am lowered but when I was stock height, she struggled a tiny bit but had no issues.

Throw front wheel in hatch. Really simple.

Cool, thanks for the write-up. I was sick of taking off the front tire/rim when placing both bikes in the hatch, so having to still take them off is questionable, but i suppose for the sake of not having to fold down the rear seats...this option 'might' be worthwhile.

MKV Turbo15

23psi and fast as fuck!
^Nice pics. The GTI looks swag, found that picture when i was looking for OEM/bike set-ups. Good to know that OEM foot is safer/better.

Yea Ive been very impressed with the OEM setup. I use the RockyMounts Euro Pitchfork which slides perfectly into the rails and the Noose which attaches around the bars. The Thule was great but I was pretty disappointed with the dirt collection under the footpads. Im sure youve read or heard but some put down clear bra on on the roof and that helps. I havent had much windnoise and also have the thule fairing which I use on and off.

marsh1665

Ready to race!
do most Thule attachments---i.e. bike racks, ski racks, etc work with the OEM bars?

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Ok. Yea, the clear bra would definitely be utilized.

This set up is what i'm considering...

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Alright, thanks! I just need to find my plums and go with the purchase..

Golf Wang

Ready to race!
REI is running 20%off yakima and thule racks and extras for the next week. Im thinking about the thule aeroblade system.

Space...galaxy s4

Goobax

Ready to race!
I am sorry to bump this older thread but for those that fitted a THULE fairing to the OEM bars, can you confirm that the model used is the THULE 872XT or which specific model? I noticed there was mention on the DIY threads of it but its was for the mk4 and wanted to be sure it was still the same for the mk6. Thanks!