GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blasphemy? Replaced "reds" with Intermotor coils

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
So I decided to go ahead and replace my R8 coil packs with Intermotor ones. They had about 40k miles on em, so I thought I'd go ahead and replace with the new plugs.

Feel free to chastise me, but I did a lot of research on the Poland-based manufacturer that makes these and I gotta say, I was impressed.

Car fired up and is running good. No, they aren't red, but with the cover on, it doesn't much matter I guess.

So...was I crazy to do this? I kept the red ones as a back up just in case I learn later that I did make a mistake. ?

Fire away...would love to hear your thoughts.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Can you elaborate a little more on what specifically impressed you? A coilpack isn't going to add any performance, people upgrade for longevity. So the car started and that was enough or?
The company and their QC standards.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
I did a quick search...they meet or exceed oem spec. They are listed with BWD and Bosch, I don't see anything special?
If you replaced real R8 coils with GTI spec aftermarket, it was a step down.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
ISO 9001:2008 certified facility.

Manufactured in SMP’s TS16949 certified, Bialystok, Poland facility, Intermotor's specially formulated epoxy is high temperature shock-resistant to handle rapid changes in engine temperature and prevent cracking or coil damage. Engineered to bond with the coil housing and bobbins, the unique process eliminates air pockets and prevents moisture intrusion and thermal breakdown.

Primary coil winding made of 200°C/392°F insulated premium 25-gauge copper wire - engineered and precision wound to generate a strong magnetic field for improved performance.

Reinforced bobbins and additional winding bays prevent internal arcing, high voltage breakdown, and voltage flashover

Bobbin is made from polyphenylene oxide glass material to prevent voltage leaking between the primary and secondary coils.

Stainless Steel Spring to resist corrosion.

Most sites have them rated at 4.4 stars and higher.

They were recently identified to be the primary supplier of ECM components for some Porsche models.

Time will tell...

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
coils are coils, 5$ china coils will work, the ultimate question is for how long.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Tough crowd

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If it were me i'd pop the OEMs back in and keep the aftermarkets in the trunk as a spare. I'm sure they will work for some time but id have more confidence in the OEMs lasting longer.

zrickety

The Fixer
Not saying they're bad, but the real R8 coils have different impedance. They actually produce a bigger spark.