GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 15 SS

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
Then why did you buy a car on a "mediocre" platform??? :lol: and if it works against it in performance, then you've obviously bought the wrong car, you should've just bought the Damn Subaru and been like o this is the best fucking car, no one else could possibly top this, :iono:

Sent from my iPhone

Have you even been reading/comprehending what I'm saying? I admitted already to buying the wrong car, but I bought what I wanted at the time. I wanted a little hatchback car and my options were limited. I picked the best in the segment, and over time have discovered it's flaws to be more glaring that it seems most people on this forum are willing to admit. If you don't like my opinion, then don't read it.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
If it's mediocre now, it's only because technology has improved in recent years. I would love to see some track times for both cars.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
It's pretty reliable, minus water pumps, which at 55,000 miles mine hasn't had one issues with water pumps or anything, you knew you didn't like FWD going into it, so you can't really bitch about that :iono: the stock suspension isn't bad at all... And the brakes don't suck! Your expectations were clearly too high for a $25k car :lol:

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't had any issues with either of my GTI's that weren't caused by myself and modding. 60k on my current one, and it's been rock solid.

A lesser CTS-V at half the price and that's not a knock on the car. Keep us posted on your build for the SS as I'm interested.

GTI's are definitely entry-level performance cars, but I wouldn't say that they are not performance oriented. If that's the case then there is a whole slew of JDM guys that you just divorced from the performance arena as well.

Hah, yeah I don't intend to knock on cheaper cars. There's a 98 civic coupe with K-series running 9's naturally aspirated, as an example. The GTI is definitely an excellent car for the money, but it bothers me the amount of money I spent to get it where I wanted. And it also bothers me to see so many people my age with decent jobs spending so much cash on their new SI's, GTI's, etc, when they could just save and get something so much better out of the box.

And about the V, that's what I thought prior to buying. I was looking at used CTS-V's, was having a hard time finding low mileage manuals. So I went with this, I figure a supercharger and some bolt ons and it'll be one hell of a sleeper.

If it's mediocre now, it's only because technology has improved in recent years. I would love to see some track times for both cars.

In some tests the SS beat out the new M3! :thumbsup:

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
"And it also bothers me to see so many people my age with decent jobs spending so much cash on their new SI's, GTI's, etc, when they could just save and get something so much better out of the box."

This is my first vehicle that is even worth modding, and I had no intention of modding when I bought it. Modding seems pretty expensive to me, but I love cars. I don't have a good handle on how expensive a mod should be. I have a friend that is modding his frs, and it's going to cost 10k to do a turbo with supporting mods, so I thought I was getting out of this whole modding thing pretty cheap.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
In4PlacComments

And not sure where you are, but regardless of whatever the dealer told you or how "rare" it is, should be significant discounts on this car.

zrickety

The Fixer
Horsepower per dollar I spent almost nothing for k04. I never buy brand new.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty much what I have to say about VW! My two requirements for the next vehicle are NOT white and NOT VW.

OTOH, nice new car. :) I considered the SS, but the local Chevy dealerships were asking above MSRP when they first hit the market. I don't care how special or rare a car is, I won't pay over MSRP for it! I also stay away from first year production vehicles.

Isn't it basically an 8 year old Pontiac G8 GXP ?:laugh: Not much "First model year" stuff in this car.

But it will likely hold the value incredibly well. And it is pretty much the ultimate sleeper.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
In4PlacComments

And not sure where you are, but regardless of whatever the dealer told you or how "rare" it is, should be significant discounts on this car.

I'm in the dealership industry with strong connections. The price I pay for all my cars isn't what most people would pay.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
nice! did you buy it new, cpo or ordered? I hear you have to order in order to get the manual SS as brand new, no?

Nice car though, i'm certainly jelaous :D I am on my second GTI and moving onto v8, rwd and manual, very likely new mustang GT performance pack. Coming from manual mk6, i'm bored with dsg on mk7 from time to time. Needless to say I won't go back to VW once I jump the ship, gotta try different cars.

edit: also OP if you consider parting out, I have some stock parts for sale on my sig, and the stock shifter in separate thread.

Last edited:

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Isn't it basically an 8 year old Pontiac G8 GXP ?:laugh: Not much "First model year" stuff in this car.

But it will likely hold the value incredibly well. And it is pretty much the ultimate sleeper.

Based on my prior GM ownership experience, they can f$ck up a wet dream! I don't remember many G8s with the technology that the SS comes with. Did they have magnetic ride back then?

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I'm not being on either side of the spectrum. I've had a Passat, and two MK6 GTI's. And the car is in the $40K range; slightly above a new loaded Golf R. I'm not being condescending and this post in the general car forum. I've been on this forum for years, this isn't just a post to be a dick. People don't know much about this car and I'd like to share.

Thanks for sharing then. But you cannot compare a hatch and a sedan with any degree of relevancy.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
To accompany my GTI.

Have to say, it's pretty fucking rad. The GTI will be on permanent daily driver duty. Though I have to slowly move it back to stock, too stiff for daily driving, and the wheels need to go, but that'll happen later.

About the SS, it's great. I've never owned an 8 cyl before, the trans is excellent, and the mag ride is sweet. Definitely doesn't handle like a 3900lb car; takes corners better than my GTI, much better in fact. Headers and intake are already order. Supercharging it over the winter :evil:

Safe to say, my GTI will probably be the last VW I ever own. Maybe another one as a daily, but GTI's are not meant to be performance driven cars. I'm sure if I had an R, I'd feel differently. But looking back at the past 5 years, past 2 GTI's, and all the money spent modding them... totally wasn't worth it.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I've said this in a few threads probably to the dislike of many but my reasoning was either, you drive it hard and you pay the hefty price of repairs as the car feels fragile, OR do you mean, the car is a little good at everything but not great at anything? :cool: