GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes - discs & pads

chuck43

Hi all,

I'm looking for some new brakes. Thinking of buying some EBC Turbo Drilled & grooved front & rear with yellow stuff pads, but i guess these will be noisey? Wondering if anyone has them & can recommended them or the noise to much? Or if there are some better performing brake sets than standard that dont come with a noise :)

Cheers

Chuck

Thumper

Autocross Champion
What's your purpose for the car?

If it's real performance stay away from drilled rotors. If you just like to stand next to your car, drilled look great parked up in the grass.

I haven't run Yellow's yet, they will be going on the R in a couple months though. But they are track pads so likely will have some noise to them. If you want a mild OEM+ upgrade with good grab but no noise, and don't want to spend big bucks for a brake upgrade get this and never buy brakes again.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-brake-kit-ebc-brakes-kit-1k0615601aakt39

R^2

Ready to race!
What's your purpose for the car?

If it's real performance stay away from drilled rotors. If you just like to stand next to your car, drilled look great parked up in the grass.

I haven't run Yellow's yet, they will be going on the R in a couple months though. But they are track pads so likely will have some noise to them. If you want a mild OEM+ upgrade with good grab but no noise, and don't want to spend big bucks for a brake upgrade get this and never buy brakes again.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-brake-kit-ebc-brakes-kit-1k0615601aakt39
That’s a good looking service kit. Almost anything you do will be better than OEM pads. I went with Vagbremtechnic rotors but after a year they are rusting pretty good in the non wear surfaces..

for pads - I’m running Carbotech 1521 - which are great 95% of the time. No dust, no noise, great stopping performance...except where they are cold or wet. I do some warm up braking on those days to ensure performance.

chuck43

cheers for replies!
im just looking for some better brakes really. Car has stage 2 remap, and when im having a play, ive noticed a couple of times id like some more stopping power
:)

Thumper

Autocross Champion

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I've also had good experiences with Hawk pads. I used them, on my old mkiv and currently have them on my 6100 lb camping trail rig with Stoptech slotted rotors. I also recommend SS brake lines if possible.

orrs2000

Any suggestions on brake fluid or brake lines?

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I may start a thread just on my experience, so I did my pads for the first time and went with the EBC "Red Stuff" option on my stock rotors. I am still in the "break in period" but I get quite a bit of squeaking so far, but hoping it fades because they do grab quite a bit more than stock.

I think regardless of their wear, I would really like to get a good looking pair of slotted (not drilled) rotors but assume I should probably get new pads again if I go that route.

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I may start a thread just on my experience, so I did my pads for the first time and went with the EBC "Red Stuff" option on my stock rotors. I am still in the "break in period" but I get quite a bit of squeaking so far, but hoping it fades because they do grab quite a bit more than stock.

I think regardless of their wear, I would really like to get a good looking pair of slotted (not drilled) rotors but assume I should probably get new pads again if I go that route.
In my experience, generally the better the pad is at 'grabbing' the more noise and dust you will get. I would just run through those pads, then change rotors and pads if you don't like the EBC reds.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
In my experience, generally the better the pad is at 'grabbing' the more noise and dust you will get. I would just run through those pads, then change rotors and pads if you don't like the EBC reds.
I am just hitting the 200 miles mark now and doing the final bedding procedure this weekend. So far no issues or complaints other than very, very low speed after warm up I will still get squealing- annoying, but nothing that isn't tolerable. Hoping that subsides after the bedding. But my plan is to run these for a while and do a full pad/rotor swap - but also wanted to evaluate upgrading the brake lines/calipers at the same time. I am still a little unsure how to handle bleeding the brake lines completely to do that, so we'll see.

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I am just hitting the 200 miles mark now and doing the final bedding procedure this weekend. So far no issues or complaints other than very, very low speed after warm up I will still get squealing- annoying, but nothing that isn't tolerable. Hoping that subsides after the bedding. But my plan is to run these for a while and do a full pad/rotor swap - but also wanted to evaluate upgrading the brake lines/calipers at the same time. I am still a little unsure how to handle bleeding the brake lines completely to do that, so we'll see.
I haven't gotten into this platform deep enough yet to say anything about these specific calipers yet but have seen people talk about a kit to help the calipers(I have not dived into this kit yet). Putting SS lines on when you swap to new rotors would be a perfect time. I still like bleeding with 2 people as I have not had good results with the bleeder kits that run off of vacuum or pressure.