GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken Golf R

BRKNVDUBS

Alright guys! New here to this forum. Calling all Golf R gurus out there!

Quick intro, bought a 2012 Golf R exactly a year ago. Thing came with a APR stage 2+ tune, IE HPFP internals, IE air intake, poly motor mounts and solid dog bone mount, BC Racing BR-series extreme drop coil overs, Godspeed rear adjustable camber arms. As soon as I got it I had a master VV tech at work do the timing belt/water pump, Haldex service, all maintenance that was needed for 55k miles on it. A few months ago my Golf R broke down on me, noticed a bit of ticking coming from the engine bay, drove it in to work( Luckily I was 10 miles down the road). Once I got it to the shop I opened up the camshaft chain housing to inspect the chain and tensioner, once I removed all the components I found the infamous HPFP bucket worn all the way down and the stem from the pump worn into the intake camshaft. Got the new IE internals ordered, new camshaft, chain and tensioner ( no big deal). Took roughly about a month and a half to get the internals due to an issue when ordering in the meanwhile installed everything else and a few extra goodies ( CTS billet valve cover w/ catch can set up, Fuel to air gauge, balance shaft delete kit from VIS). Once the internals were finally installed and everything was back together and engine was running that's when all the problems began. Other than the obvious vibration from the balance shaft delete, I started experiencing a bog or what I can describe as a fuel cut off right between 4-5k at WOT. Car would not go after that and I would get a noise as if something was clogging air flow ( it wasn't my R anymore :'( ) . Started with the basics, checking for faults... none present at the time, called the guys from APR soon after that. The guys at APR told me that maybe since the car was down with the battery disconnected it might off lost the tune so luckily my buddy who own the car before me had the program switching feature on there and was able to get it back to the stage 2+. The car felt a great at low rpms but again car would fall on his face between 4k-5k, to make this long story a little short I have done throttle body cleaning and alignment, set basic settings on the stock manifold flap motor, bought a new HPFP, cleaned out IE air filter, re gapped the new BKR8 spark plugs, upgraded coils to apr gray top coils.. nothing seem to do the trick. Moved on to checking fuel pressure, coming from the tank the original reading with our fuel pressure tester at work the readings were 3.2 bar to 3.6 bar with load, replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and swapped over the module from my shop foreman's MK6 R to mine and also swapped tunes from APR to IE stage 2 pro. For the first couple of days the R felt great... BUT.... it was somehow over boosting, the PODI boost gauge RED lined at almost 30psi a couple of times where it would usually boost between 24-26 psi before the failure. I was obviously super careful driving the vehicle like this because I didn't want to blow up and engine on another of my cars. So here I am a few thousand dollars later and me and the guys at work are stumped, re checked timing and faults are not there. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate it....

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
How about you log the car with your IE cable, and send the logs to IE and ask them what the issue is, as they should be able to tell.
Just tell them the tune is over boosting according to your boost gauge and you want them to take a look at the engine logs.

*EDIT: .... I see this was posted months ago and hopefully you've already got it resolved.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I recall recent post on the subject. Cause was the IE intake, intake tubing would collapse or something like that. By that I mean it would collapse under high boost condition and then return to normal shape. I had never heard of it before but it was posted on a thread where the complaint was like yours and everything was fresh. Some member posted out of the blue..... do you have an IE intake? And it turned out to be the issue. Other folks with IE intake experience posted that they too had the problem. Needless to say the tubing needed to be replaced with something rigid. Most everything I have ever used for an intake used aluminum tubing. I am guessing this intake used rubber or silicone or some flexible materiel that would collapse under the vacuum created when the turbo is running full blast. Anyway the power loss or dip was described as you have, guessing under initial boost it collapsed and of course the boost would fall off and the pipe would return to its normal shape. Hope that makes sense. If you have a friend with same car but different intake, try swapping.

Last edited:

BRKNVDUBS

How about you log the car with your IE cable, and send the logs to IE and ask them what the issue is, as they should be able to tell.
Just tell them the tune is over boosting according to your boost gauge and you want them to take a look at the engine logs.

*EDIT: .... I see this was posted months ago and hopefully you've already got it resolved.
Unfortunately it is still doing it, data logged several pulls and got with some of the guys from IE and also a local tuner and it looks like it is not software related which I kind of figured since it was doing the same thing with APR's Stage 2 +. I'm going to try GIACUser's suggestion but I'll swap over to the OE air box since I don't have someone with a different air intake I can borrow. I had a tech at work mention that my clutch may be failing and the tune or the car can be throwing the vehicle into some kind of LIMP mode at WOT to prevent from damaging anything. I have a spare clutch and flywheel kit I can throw on there but I'm just not sure about that.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
You can test it by bracing the turbo inlet hose with a hose clamp. If that fixes the issue, email IE and they'll send you a revised hose for free if you're the original purchaser or for $20 if you're not.

A slipping clutch will make it pull throttle a bit, it won't go into limp mode.

BRKNVDUBS

@TimS, I wish I would off logged in a lot sooner. I ordered a CTS air intake system with all metal piping and it fixed the issue! this thing flies now! only concern I have is that it is boosting around 30psi still which I don't think is very safe for the engine and turbo. I'm going to use a manual boost controller for now until I hear back from IE about a modified stage 2 pro tune for it.

GolfRfrontend

Go Kart Newbie
Related to your tune. Never buy a car that is tuned. Asking for trouble. Especially if you don’t know about cars or understand tuned engines. How come everyone on here always mention the mods on their cars like any cares.. just get down to the point. What, where abs why? If it’s engine related just mention what done to car I.e tuned and internals for those of you guys who don’t understand car a CBE and TBE does’t effect tunes engines.. only engine electronics and internals effect how engine reacts… This is forum to help guys who having problems with Mk6 GTI not about boosting what you have modified.