GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken Headlight Switch

Zach84

Ready to race!
Need some help...

I installed my Vent boost gauge today, and when I was trying to remove the the headlight switch to wire everything up, it broke.

I can still turn my headlights on (good thing) I just can't pull the knob out to turn on the fogs...

My question is, does anyone know how to remove the headlight switch as it is broken and I cannot remove it the proper way?

BTW the boost gauge install was simple and straight forward, it was just a little bit of a PITA because I had to unclip the harness from the light switch as I was not able to take the switch out!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
I know this was a problem on the MKVs. Probably could be removed the same way they removed their's. I forget how, personally, but if you search Golfmkv.com or vwvortex, I'm sure you'll have an answer.

fanclerks

Ready to race!
I had the same thing happen when I installed my gauge. Ended up having the DBC guys replace it. Need to get a EuroSwitch version in the future. Hope it doesn't break on me again!

Zach84

Ready to race!
Got a OEM replacment on the way to me, guess I will take the dash apart this weekend to fix it...

Zach84

Ready to race!
Haha I broke mine too trying to take it out for the gauge install. I barely even moved the dang thing and *snap!*

Do you still have yours?

I believe some are just defective... I noticed on the replacement I received, that when I push in the switch and turn, it locks it into place so it can be removed. On mine it did not lock into place, hence, when I pulled it, it broke.

MegaMikeLA

Ready to race!
I believe some are just defective... I noticed on the replacement I received, that when I push in the switch and turn, it locks it into place so it can be removed. On mine it did not lock into place, hence, when I pulled it, it broke.

Yeah man.. Well that's good news that your replacement is solid. My gauge works just won't be able to see it at night for a while until I get a new switch.

Zach84

Ready to race!
Yeah man.. Well that's good news that your replacement is solid. My gauge works just won't be able to see it at night for a while until I get a new switch.

I still hooked mine up fine, unclip the wiring harness from the back of the headlight switch. You can do this through the side of the fuse box cover.

Pull the harness up through the vent, cut a little of the wire wrap away, and splice the wires together.

It was super easy, and I wish I did this from the beginning, would of saved myself a little money by not having to buy a new switch...

MegaMikeLA

Ready to race!
I still hooked mine up fine, unclip the wiring harness from the back of the headlight switch. You can do this through the side of the fuse box cover.

Pull the harness up through the vent, cut a little of the wire wrap away, and splice the wires together.

It was super easy, and I wish I did this from the beginning, would of saved myself a little money by not having to buy a new switch...

oh yea that's true I never thought of that.. I will do this now! Gotta find my paper for instructions for which wires to splice?

Zach84

Ready to race!
oh yea that's true I never thought of that.. I will do this now! Gotta find my paper for instructions for which wires to splice?

I don't remember which wires to splice, sorry. Plus they vary from guage to guage. When you switch your headlight switches out be prepared for a battle. You have to break a part to get the dash off too. There is a screw mounted behind the switch that you can't to. I took the dash apart as shown in the link I posted above, then I pulled down till it broke off the plastic tab that you can't get to. You will see what I mean once you take it apart and look at it from underneath to see why it won't come off lol.

I was going to do a write up, but I got super frustrated and just wanted to finish. Everything is good though, nothing is loose. PM me if you have questions.