GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So after a good night sleep I feel confident now that installing the coilovers before I leave for next week is not meant to be. When I step back and look at the big picture it does not seem right to do a suspension mod, let alone my first big mod to any car, right before a road trip. If I wait till I get back I will not feel rushed and, most importantly, I will have all the correct tools: m14 Triple Square and OEM stretch bolts. So, instead I think I'll give her a nice wash and clean up my wheels before I leave :D

btw... you might want to consider getting a harder strut mount when you put the coilovers in. Mine started making noise couple thousand kms after i installed the st coilovers brand new. It will save you a lot of time if you did them all from the beginning. just a thought.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
status of Coil install?

Third time's a charm I'm hoping! Worked on it again last week and got the front driver's side strut out actually. The offset wrench I had didn't work though and I could have zipped off the bolt on top of the strut mounts but still needed the wrench to install the new struts. My friend and I didn't have much time that day but it was good practice for taking the strut out and reinstalling. Should be a breeze this weekend!

I went ahead and ordered some new strut mounts just to be safe too. Hopeful preventative action against new noises. I'm headed to Sears later this week to pick up a few more tools and then the install should go smoothly Saturday morning.

One thing that had us stumped for a while though was the fact that the lip on the strut kept hitting the strut-spreader bit once it was in the collar. I was stomping on the rotor and the thing was not budging even after dowsing it in wd40. What we ended up doing though was actually removing the top three bolts underneath the rain tray, compressing the spring like crazy, and actually lifted the strut up and out of the collar rather than stomping on the rotor.

I feel pretty confident going into the install this weekend except for actually adjusting the new coils. If you want a level stance, how do you judge that when the front coils have more than twice the amount of threads than the mounts for the back?

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Nice. Yes the driver side is easier. Passenger side is the b!tch. Try to remove the three nuts that hold the lower control arm. I'll will be easier to slide the strut out. Def compress the stock spring. That helps a lot too. When you put ur coil in. Spin it all the way down. Take ur time and dont get disgruntled. Confidence is key. But don't get over confident! Haha

Its a trial and error situation with the stance. I personally like a forward rake.

Car is slightly leaning in the front. Depending how low you want to go.. I'm all the way down in the back. And about 3 threads left in the front. FTG 24 1/4 front and 24 3/4 rear. I was 24.5 front and 25 rear. That's may be ideal for you. Make the rear perch about a 1/4 inch from all the way down. The front leave about 5 threads left till all he way down. Again you have STs.. So im not exactly sure. But our coils are similar. Fronts are easier to adjust. Rears u have to drop the control arm. Also note, the springs will settle and sit a 1/8 inch lower or more... Hope this helped!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
That does help, thanks! Looks great BTW. GTI's look so good lowered IMO and I like the stance of yours.

"FTG 24 1/4 front and 24 3/4 rear. I was 24.5 front and 25 rear. That's may be ideal for you."

What do the numbers/FTG mean? I'd guess "from the ground" and they are inches? If so, what are you measuring to?

And to adjust, all you have to do is spin the stopper with the tool provided? Is that right? Does it "lock" into place automatically? I'm surprised how easy they are to spin and it seems crazy to think that the weight of the car will be sitting on that haha.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
That does help, thanks! Looks great BTW. GTI's look so good lowered IMO and I like the stance of yours.

"FTG 24 1/4 front and 24 3/4 rear. I was 24.5 front and 25 rear. That's may be ideal for you."

What do the numbers/FTG mean? I'd guess "from the ground" and they are inches? If so, what are you measuring to?

And to adjust, all you have to do is spin the stopper with the tool provided? Is that right? Does it "lock" into place automatically? I'm surprised how easy they are to spin and it seems crazy to think that the weight of the car will be sitting on that haha.

FTG "fender to ground" and yes inches from the ground to the middle of the fender will be ur measurement. The fronts are a single collar that is locked in place with a Allen key screw. Don't tighten too much, just snug. (Dont crank it super tight. It's keeping the collar in place from spinning)

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
My detailing stock is slowly getting there!:)

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
ST Coilover install

After many weeks of my new coils sitting in my living room, and two failed attempts at install, I finally have the new coil overs on! I drove about 20 miles tonight and the ride feels good. I feel more connected to the ground but this means I feel the little bumps a little bit more. The overall balance of the suspension feels great: definitely stiffer than stock but not too stiff and all in all pretty comfortable!

Now on to the install and some pics! :)

I relied on RockerDan's DIY for almost the full install and it was very thorough. I replaced the stretch bolts with new ones from the dealer as well as brand new bearings just to be safe! First, we jacked up the car and followed all the steps for the front end. Make sure if you are using a strut spreader tool (which I would HIGHLY recommend!) that you do not place it in the clamp too far: It hits the lip that sticks out of the strut when you try and remove it. We figured this out during the second attempt at installing. I knew going into this that the passenger side strut was going to be harder to remove so we rejoiced after we got past that part!

"Hmmm. Is this the right one or the left one?" :lol:

New fronts during install. Just finger tightened the bolts underneath the rain tray and ready to move on to seating the new strut in the clamp. Collar is spun all the way down for ease of install.

The rest of the front install was smooth so on to the rears! These were pretty straight forward except for one part where we had to improvise. The lower strut bolt is on there so freaking tight! There's no room for a breaker bar so we hammered on the handle of the wrench when it was on the bolt and it eventually loosened up. We thought we were all set until we had to tighten it back up and hitting the wrench "upward" was not working. I then suggested to my friend helping me that we should use the floor jack and "jack up the wrench!" It totally worked, and that was awesome. :cool:

Now for some before and afters. My stance is a little goofed up right now b/c we did not have time to adjust it but will hopefully do that soon. I measured when I got home tonight and right now I'm sitting at:
Front Drivers: 24 7/8 FTG
Front Passengers: 25 1/8
Rear Drivers: 24
Rear Passengers: 24

That is all the way down in the back and the difference in the front is really surprising b/c I believe I set them both at about 5 threads showing underneath the collar...It should not be that different so I will definitely check that out tomorrow. I will probably bring the front down closer to 24 1/4 and I'll bring the back up a bit.

Before:

(the rear at stock height)

After:
(the rear all the way down)

You can really see the backwards lean in this one!:

We took our time and it was a good 6-8 hour job. Now to set up an alignment appointment for this week! :thumbup:

Also, I'll get some better pics in the daylight once it's all leveled out and the stance is correct and I'll update about how the ride feels and the performance of the coils once they have had some time to settle!

Last edited:

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Looks good! And yeah, definitely raise the the rear a bit, looks like your carrying 10 people. lol

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So I dropped the front the other day and right now I've got the coil overs spun all the way down on the front and back. Even with that I am barely at 24.5 FTG in the rear. Going to let the springs settle all week and will raise the rear a bit over the weekend and then get an alignment next week!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I have officially "opened" up my side business: Ben's Detailing. Ever since getting bitten by the detail bug I've wanted to have the skills and the products to detail friends' cars. Over the last few months I've been doing tons of research and investing a lot in materials. A big should out to golfmk6 member "XSSIVE" for helping me out along the way. Once I started inviting people to my facebook page I already got some inquires. I have the next 4 weekends booked with cars already!

Check out my page if you get a chance and be sure to like it! :thumbsup:

Ben's Detailing