GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BSH mounts vs VF Engineering mounts?

Chad@APR-Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
We use the BFI Stage one (yellow) motor mounts and the dog bone insert in our MKVI race cars. They're very well designed, incredibly durable, and we haven't had a single issue with any of their products. I personally like doing business with them and will continue supporting a company that turns out such great products.

For a street application I wouldn't recommend anything over Stage 1. They're plenty stiff and the Stage 1 mounts are stiffer than the VF engine mounts.

I also don't see any reason to upgrade to the VF engineering dog bone mount, the urethane inserts in the VF dogbone have failed on us numerous times. So we replaced them with our own delrin bushings to keep this from happening. We do use the VF dog bone on our MKV race cars but I don't see any reason to upgrade the stock dogbone on the MKVIs outside of the dogbone insert.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use the VF products, they are equally as great of a product but you can't beat the prices from BFI, especially during sales.

Chad@APR-Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
Any updates on this? My Ko4 is in serious needs of engine mounts, I just can't get the power down from 1st and 2nd gear... It's all wheel hop and wheel spin... Sometimes the wheel hop is so intense that the 1st to 2nd gear shift is so harsh, but since the car still isn't moving forward very fast it just bogs into second with a loud thud (dsg).

I already have a torque arm insert that made a difference with stage 1, but now with the Ko4 I'm needing stiffer mounts.

Get the BFI engine mounts, they'll help with the wheel hop for sure. I assume you already have upgraded suspension?

Next step will be urethane front control arm bushings.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
x2

BUT... I do have the Stage II BFI mounts, and I didn't notice any increased vibrations. I feel like the Torque Arm Insert adds the most vibrations.

So all I need is the engine and transmission mounts then right? Leaning towards the stage 2 mounts as well I figure the car is already louder with the exhaust and down pipe, why try to make it any quieter:)

I already have a torque arm insert

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Get the BFI engine mounts, they'll help with the wheel hop for sure. I assume you already have upgraded suspension?

Next step will be urethane front control arm bushings.

Yup, suspension is upgraded... I'll upgrade control arm bushings once the steering starts feeling loose... So far 17,000 miles and 3 track days and the oem control arms are holding up much better than the bushings did on my e46 BMW.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
We use the BFI Stage one (yellow) motor mounts and the dog bone insert in our MKVI race cars. They're very well designed, incredibly durable, and we haven't had a single issue with any of their products. I personally like doing business with them and will continue supporting a company that turns out such great products.

For a street application I wouldn't recommend anything over Stage 1. They're plenty stiff and the Stage 1 mounts are stiffer than the VF engine mounts.

I also don't see any reason to upgrade to the VF engineering dog bone mount, the urethane inserts in the VF dogbone have failed on us numerous times. So we replaced them with our own delrin bushings to keep this from happening. We do use the VF dog bone on our MKV race cars but I don't see any reason to upgrade the stock dogbone on the MKVIs outside of the dogbone insert.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use the VF products, they are equally as great of a product but you can't beat the prices from BFI, especially during sales.

Any experience using the BFI mounts in your stage 3 GTI? Would you still recommend the stage 1 BFI mount with that? Or stage 2?

Halvie

WOOSA

This post, and another one made on mkv have me a bit worried about the durability of the bsh mounts I ordered. Did you guys ever try running those?

Chad@APR-Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, suspension is upgraded... I'll upgrade control arm bushings once the steering starts feeling loose... So far 17,000 miles and 3 track days and the oem control arms are holding up much better than the bushings did on my e46 BMW.

Keep an eye on your front uprights. We've seen brand new cast iron ones crack in a 30 minute session. They crack at the wheel bearing bolts, you can see this on the back side.

There are also many different kinds of front control arms available for these cars. If you find that your stamped steel ones are flexing too much you can "upgrade" to the A3 control arms that are cast iron. They're heavier though.

Halvie

WOOSA
Well uhh didn't want to start a new thread, but got all 3 bsh mounts in today * Thanks to Doug and Mark at Accumoto for getting me in on short notice :) *

Vibrations aren't bad at all. Engine does sound louder, and there are occasionally some minor vibrations, but not bad at all. Was expecting it to be much worse going by threads I was reading.

Shifting feels better (also had the 42dd bushings put in so assume that helped some too), and there is way less wheel hop. Read a couple threads that talked about more low end pull after the mounts, and sadly I can't say I feel any difference there...maybe less push you in your seat feeling actually. Hint: Arin Stage 3+ ASAP please

So all in all totally worth it. Way less wheel hop, and better shifting for a relatively small price. Recommended upgrade++