GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

torga

Autocross Champion
oh man thats a huge relief if you've been at it with 80k miles on it. Thats awesome. You mind sharing with me where you bought the pressure plate from? Im having a hard time knowing if im buy just a plate or the disk also because the pictures on the websites show the PP and the disk.
There's no way to buy the plate by itself, BNIB. You'll be buying the clutch kit with comes with both. You'll just have to try and sell the TT-RS disk that comes with it.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
40k miles on my RSR clutch over 2 years. 20k of those miles were k04. Still feels amazing. Don't worry about the extra stiffness in the pedal. It doesn't feel like extra stiffness, it actually just feels better. Very OEM feel. There's a reason you don't ever hear people saying anything bad about the RSR clutch. I daily drive mine in stop and go traffic 2hrs a day. Zero issues and my left leg has never felt anything near sore or tired or anything crazy like that. Stop thinking and just do it; you'll be happy.

I'm no help with your second question other than to tell you I'm running the standard TTRS pressure plate.
Hey buddy, did you keep your stock DMF when you did the swap or did you replace that with a new one as well?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
You have to buy a kit with the PP and disk . It's the only way that it is sold. You can sell the disk on eBay to regain some cost back but it's not a hot item. I have had mine on there for months with no action.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
You have to buy a kit with the PP and disk . It's the only way that it is sold. You can sell the disk on eBay to regain some cost back but it's not a hot item. I have had mine on there for months with no action.

I've seen ppl on this thread who have bought them separately, and i got mine separately years ago. Did it become a new thing that they are only sold together now?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I've seen ppl on this thread who have bought them separately, and i got mine separately years ago. Did it become a new thing that they are only sold together now?

Must be a newer thing. I wasn't able to find one that didn't include the clutch disk.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
damn thats really annoying, you used the original DMF or bought a new one?

I bought a new one. Car only had like 50k on it but if I was going to open the clutch up I figure replace it all. Tony bought a used one when he did his. Not sure how many miles he has on it now but he is putting k04 power through it.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I bought a new one. Car only had like 50k on it but if I was going to open the clutch up I figure replace it all. Tony bought a used one when he did his. Not sure how many miles he has on it now but he is putting k04 power through it.
Yes, I bought a DMFW that was taken off a wrecked jetta or something. It had 50k ish miles at stock power. It looked good and I hit it with scotchbrite pad before install. I now have 45k miles on the clutch, 25k of those have been K04. If I had to do it over again I would just buy a new DMFW and not have to worry about it.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
Yes, I bought a DMFW that was taken off a wrecked jetta or something. It had 50k ish miles at stock power. It looked good and I hit it with scotchbrite pad before install. I now have 45k miles on the clutch, 25k of those have been K04. If I had to do it over again I would just buy a new DMFW and not have to worry about it.
I got 66k on my car now and plan on leaving the stock DMFW. Because if i remember right that thing is about 400-500 bucks. I don't wanna spend that if i don't really need too. But i mean you got 45k and you haven't had an issues so why would you buy a new one if you had to do it over again?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I got 66k on my car now and plan on leaving the stock DMFW. Because if i remember right that thing is about 400-500 bucks. I don't wanna spend that if i don't really need too. But i mean you got 45k and you haven't had an issues so why would you buy a new one if you had to do it over again?
Well, when I replaced my clutch at 100k miles the DMFW definitely needed to be replaced. It was pretty roasted.

So I decided to save some money and install a lightly used one. I would have preferred using a new one because I had no way of verifying the condition of the dual mass mechanism. It can wear out and cause chatter, noises, or rough engagement. Obviously I got away with it and I think you probably will too. The problem is that if the flywheel goes bad you have to drop the whole trans and do it all again. You decide if the risk is worth it for you.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
Well, when I replaced my clutch at 100k miles the DMFW definitely needed to be replaced. It was pretty roasted.

So I decided to save some money and install a lightly used one. I would have preferred using a new one because I had no way of verifying the condition of the dual mass mechanism. It can wear out and cause chatter, noises, or rough engagement. Obviously I got away with it and I think you probably will too. The problem is that if the flywheel goes bad you have to drop the whole trans and do it all again. You decide if the risk is worth it for you.
ahhh i gotcha, well thank you for the great input and advise.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
oh man thats a huge relief if you've been at it with 80k miles on it. Thats awesome. You mind sharing with me where you bought the pressure plate from? Im having a hard time knowing if im buying just a plate or the disk also because the pictures on the websites show the PP and the disk.

Nah I can't remember at this point, this was 4 or 5 years ago. I remember it being on one of the pages 11-14 of this thread but I can't remember which post I followed exactly. And I had to buy the PP w/ the disc included even back then.

torga

Autocross Champion