GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buzzing sounds

bitbckt

Passed Driver's Ed
When I'm at speeds greater than about 40mph or on rougher roads, a buzzing sound comes from my steering column. It sounds like an angry hornet under my horn.

At first, I thought it was the leatherette patch between the steering column and dash under the gauges, but the sound doesn't stop when fiddling with the column position.

I haven't popped the steering wheel cover off yet.

Has anybody else had this issue?

grifgolf1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had a buzzing noise coming from the left side of the steering wheel (behind the six-way buttons for volume and radio control) -- but this seems different from the problem you described. My buzzing started whenever I turned the lights on (no buzzing with DRL only), and got louder whenever I dimmed the interior lights using the adjustment knob on the dashboard. I took the car to the dealer today and they've ordered a replacement relay to see if that stops the buzzing.

I mention this just in case it has something to do with the lighting...good luck tracking it down.

bitbckt

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, that sounds like a different problem. This seems entirely mechanical, since it only happens when the car is at speed (some harmonic frequency, probably) or over rough pavement.

I'll check out the electrical problem you described just in case, though. Thanks.

r56mcs

Ready to race!
Probably a loose piece of plastic like wire harness vibrating against the inner wall of the steering column assemby.