GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bye Bye Transmission?

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
So far so good. Got registration on the car and have put probably 30 miles and no code coming back for the tranny. Before the fluid change and speed wheel cleaning it would come back after just a minute of gear changes. I have to order obd eleven to clear the airbag code and I'll probably get a litre of fluid at the same time and add that to the tranny and reset the level.

Interesting so yours went away after only cleaning wheel and fluid change?
Guess ill have to follow suit and try that out first.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ These sensors wheels filling up with filings has to be the reason for this type of issue.

TyroneShoelaces

Trans still shifting OK 3 months in. It faulted once when shifting into reverse on a hill. It is pretty clunky going into reverse or drive but seems to work OK. It's like it clunks twice then stops. I've never had a dsg so don't know if this is normal behavior. I assume the clutches need replaced at some point, but until then she can clunk away.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If it goes bad, does anyone know the going rate for salvage DSG gearboxes? I was bore and recently looked around for replacement 6MTs and was surprised at how amazingly cheap they are, like.... a couple hundred for a functional transmission.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You shouldn't be surprised at how cheap the manual trans is. It is essentially the same transmission found in every manual golf/gti since early 2000s. 02J or 02M whatever ours is. DSG is way more complex and is essentially two clutches so it's always going to cost more. Salvage DSGs probably go for 800-1200

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
My reverse problem got much worse over last couple months, was happening daily and on occasion popping a P2711 code "Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement" so I finally got around to cleaning the sensor wheel.

My DSG filter seemed to be disintegrating, not sure why. It was an OEM filter I picked directly up from the dealer.
And the gear oil I used was Febi NR.39070 straight from Germany.
filter.jpg

The sensor wheel had a bunch of metal powder on it, but oil didnt seem to have any flakes, or shine to it.
Cleaned it up with rag and we'll see how long it lasts.
Pre Cleaning:
Sensor1 (2).jpg

Also noticed some rust on the oil pump, hopefully this doesnt cause issues
pump.jpg

I used some Valvoline Dual Clutch transmission oil this time since it was only thing I could find local.
So far the cars been driving much better and hasn't failed to engage reverse even once.
It doesn't even hesitate anymore like it did before.

jbkusa

My reverse problem got much worse over last couple months, was happening daily and on occasion popping a P2711 code "Unexpected Mechanical Gear Disengagement" so I finally got around to cleaning the sensor wheel.

My DSG filter seemed to be disintegrating, not sure why. It was an OEM filter I picked directly up from the dealer.
And the gear oil I used was Febi NR.39070 straight from Germany.
View attachment 210175

The sensor wheel had a bunch of metal powder on it, but oil didnt seem to have any flakes, or shine to it.
Cleaned it up with rag and we'll see how long it lasts.
Pre Cleaning:
View attachment 210177
Also noticed some rust on the oil pump, hopefully this doesnt cause issues
View attachment 210179

I used some Valvoline Dual Clutch transmission oil this time since it was only thing I could find local.
So far the cars been driving much better and hasn't failed to engage reverse even once.
It doesn't even hesitate anymore like it did before.
Hi! My 2010 Golf with DSG (around 118k miles) has been doing same thing when I try reverse. Any update on these days after you clean and refilled the oil? Please let me know I would appreciate it!

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi! My 2010 Golf with DSG (around 118k miles) has been doing same thing when I try reverse. Any update on these days after you clean and refilled the oil? Please let me know I would appreciate it!
Unfortunately I still get it on occasion. The immediate days after it was a dream. Im assuming that means the sensor got covered in the fine particles again. I would assume the only way to fully treat this is a complete teardown and cleaning of all the magnetic areas within the transmission

jbkusa

Thanks so much for responding. Ok! I will try it too and readapt the DSG using VCDS after cleaning. Thanks so much again.

TyroneShoelaces

Update if anyone is out there still....my dsg is dead. Wouldn't shift out of first and on decceleration there was a whirring grinding sound metal on metal from trans. Glitter in the filter. My son is working on dropping the trans now, likely doing a manual swap.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Update if anyone is out there still....my dsg is dead. Wouldn't shift out of first and on decceleration there was a whirring grinding sound metal on metal from trans. Glitter in the filter. My son is working on dropping the trans now, likely doing a manual swap.
Damn thats unfortunate.

Ive actually said F it recently and threw an IE DSG tune on mine.
It actually seems to have made the issues less frequent.

Im just kind of waiting for it to give out completely before I fix it any further.

jbkusa

Damn thats unfortunate.

Ive actually said F it recently and threw an IE DSG tune on mine.
It actually seems to have made the issues less frequent.

Im just kind of waiting for it to give out completely before I fix it any further.
An update since last year..

I did try that cleaning the censor wheel thingy from mechatronic and new DSG oils.(my mechatronic was filled with metal shavings) It was actually good for about a month then DSG started behaving bad again with reverse not working.

Yea. Mine went completely bad too at 125k. It came to a point I had make a decision to put a new one because of NY State annual inspection crap, my CEL wouldn't shut down for that entire year. I decided to put a new entire DSG at the end of year 2021 instead of trying new mechatronic and clutch pack which don't even garuntee 100percent it will fix the DSG and who knows how long that's gonna last. And getting a new Mechatronic itself wasn't much cheaper compared to putting a whole new DSG drectly from VW parts. I went to at least 5 different shops and dealers and most of them quoted me like 6k to 8k to get new transmission which is stupid. This shop in LIC NY gave me the best deal and I trust them because they only fix German cars. I paid total 5k. 2400 for the new dsg, 1000 for new flywheel, 1600 labor. Cash. I am happy now.

I inherited the car at 95k but not sure if the previous owner had done the DSG fluid service at every 40k. But i think doing the DSG service in right interval is crucial to maintain these stupid DSGs for long