GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam/chain tensioner.

namron

I wonder how many GTI Mk6 still have old style tensioner and none the wiser that part has been upgraded and have covered over 100k with no ill effects.Not everone joins a forum and is aware that there could be a problem.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It happens but the tensioner has an extremely high failure rate there's literally no reason to risk it if you want to keep the car. There's been multiple lawsuits filed over it and VW settled. A ton of people who are clueless about these cars got blindsided at the dealer when they got told they suddenly need 5k in repairs after engine died. Many people join these forums looking for guidance after grenading their engine and had no idea about it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I wonder how many GTI Mk6 still have old style tensioner and none the wiser that part has been upgraded and have covered over 100k with no ill effects.Not everone joins a forum and is aware that there could be a problem.

Unfortunately there are a lot of mk6 TSIs out there still riding with the angels on the old tensioner. If you have a 2012 and below it is almost guaranteed to have the old style unless it has been addressed.

But its VW so what else is new? The mk4 1.8t was notorious for blowing the timing belt at literally any mileage. If you are buying a VW you have to know what youre getting into. I never recommend these cars to people who 'just need a reliable daily' because if you dont know much about VWs youre just setting yourself up for failure.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunately there are a lot of mk6 TSIs out there still riding with the angels on the old tensioner. If you have a 2012 and below it is almost guaranteed to have the old style unless it has been addressed.

But its VW so what else is new? The mk4 1.8t was notorious for blowing the timing belt at literally any mileage. If you are buying a VW you have to know what youre getting into. I never recommend these cars to people who 'just need a reliable daily' because if you dont know much about VWs youre just setting yourself up for failure.
agreed. and reliability is a relative term. IMO these cars are some of the easiest to work on (once you know what you are doing), in that they were engineered well, and if you follow the steps, things go back together very well. a lot of other makes are a cluster fuck to work on, and the lack of engineering is apparent.

I have owned other vehicles, but my primary has ALWAYS been a VW since I was 16