GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't fill diesel (splashing back) - VW Golf MK6 GTD 2012

eddie.s

Hey guys, I've been searching for this issue, but mainly this issue exists for petrol cars for some reason, but I have a GTD (diesel) which has this problem - when I got the car, I couldn't insert the nozzle all the way in, I needed to pull it out a bit and then leave it locked to fill up full speed, otherwise the cutout would trigger as the fuel splashes back or it's not going down fast enough. A few days ago when I tried to fill it up, the best I could do was put the tip of the nozzle at the very edge outside and maybe hold the trigger about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way so that the fuel could go down without triggering the cut out, maybe I could piss in the tank to fill it faster.

Since diesels don't have charcoal canisters, what could the problem be?

eddie.s

Guys, anyone? No one had anything like this before, or any ideas what's the problem? I'm only guessing that maybe something's blocked in the ventilation?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Guys, anyone? No one had anything like this before, or any ideas what's the problem? I'm only guessing that maybe something's blocked in the ventilation?
Haven't heard of such an issue before but that could be the case, yeah. Or maybe there is a bend in the line to the tank causing a restriction?

eddie.s

Not sure what the issue is yet, but I managed to fill the tank fully with the nozzle completely inside and on full speed. The fuel tank has those ventilation hoses and some valves at the end, maybe the valves are at fault, not sure. I'll probably inspect those next time I have this issue.