GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't go over 4000 RPMs when reving in neutral?!

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I was checking the sound of my dp today, and noticed something which now worries me.

If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine by simply pressing the accelerator pedal, the RPM will go only up to 4K and then I would hear a small bang under the hood and RPMs would stay under 4K no matter how much more I press the accelerator.

Its almost like something cuts the airflow going to turbo and makes it choke.

Is this normal?
Maybe it has something with the wrong installation of my Carbonio Stage I & II.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
denisGTI

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
That is normal. Its a safety measure I assume?

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Why in the blue blazes would you WANT to rev your engine in neutral over that?

Do you hate your engine that much?

:O

denisGTI

Ready to race!
what if you put the clutch pedal down? Does it allow you to rev past 4k then?

Haven't tried that. Should that make difference?

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Why in the blue blazes would you WANT to rev your engine in neutral over that?

Do you hate your engine that much?

:O

:lol:
I never do that. It's just that this time I wanted to hear how much noise my new downpipe makes on higher rpms.:iono:

Last edited:

zecpull1

Ready to race!
That is called making the Car Idiot proof..Free Reving an Engine is the worst thing you can do to it. ...I used to Pull Tractors And we would see someone Blow up an engine at about every Big Pull. Reving an engine without a load makes Everything Fly..It is BAD

denisGTI

Ready to race!
That is called making the Car Idiot proof..Free Reving an Engine is the worst thing you can do to it. ...I used to Pull Tractors And we would see someone Blow up an engine at about every Big Pull. Reving an engine without a load makes Everything Fly..It is BAD

So, should I call you an Idiot because you don't know many things that I know in my area of expertise? Of course not, that behavior is more typical for less inteligent and less educated ppl, who lack basic communication skills. And they usually Pull Tractors.:mad0259:

D

Deleted member 103021

how do you know when ESP is turned on or off?? i press mines and nothing lights up or anything!..is this also normal?

to turn it off you have to hold the button down for a second. you should see the screen say "TCS OFF" and a little symbol will flash.

Jimd0313

Ready to race!
If you press and hold the button for a few seconds, it will illuminate ESP on your gauge cluster, letting you know the system is off.

Stein357

Ready to race!
It's not good for motors to be revved without a load on them, be careful. VW put that there for a reason.