GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Looks like I have flaps blocking the view. Can someone tell me how to move them so that I can see the valves better?

You have to manually adjust the runner flaps by pushing on the arm. I just happen to be standing in front of my car with the good open so here is a pic.

4FC06F25-4E45-4AC9-80F2-50FC90AF0565.jpeg

The black piece that my middle finger is on.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
You have to manually adjust the runner flaps by pushing on the arm. I just happen to be standing in front of my car with the good open so here is a pic.

View attachment 162442
The black piece that my middle finger is on.

Thanks for the tip! With roughly 75k miles, looks like I'm in good shape currently at stage 2.

The combo pic is cylinder 2. The separate ones are cylinder 3. It was hard to maneuver the scope and take a pic while tugging at that arm.

I'll check again at 100k.

Attachments

• 20200105231230.jpg
    20200105231230.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 20200105232141.jpg
    20200105232141.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 20200105232207.jpg
    20200105232207.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 353

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
I have a 2007 GTI 2.0t FSI bought in Nov. 2006. So, I have been dealing with this subject for over thirteen years on the MK5. I did a treatment with BG44k, and another with CRC at 60k and 90k miles. At 120k miles, I thought to look up the MSDS for each of those products as well as a couple of others including SeaFoam. Finding in them there was on average of about 25%-30% solvents of different sorts...NAPHTHA, Xylene, mineral spirits, etc..

Since I knew the valves were clean...I thought it would make much more sense to give it a blow-by more often so to keep them clean. Wouldn't it be better to keep the valves clean rather than try knocking off a bunch of it. What it is really missing is fuel. The last 5 to 6 years, I only drive the MK5 about 4k miles per year and I do the oil change each June. So, since it was at 120k miles, I have been doing the blow-by each year just before I do the oil change. I use a fuel to solvent solution ratio of 11:1, or "11oz fuel to 1oz NAPHTHA or Xylene". When I come home after it has been run and heated up, I do the blow-by if I feel like doing it that day...and I am also planning to do the oil change real soon. After injecting the fluid and replace the IAT sensor, I keep it at near 2k rpm for near ten minutes followed by a 10 minute drive keeping it as close to 3k rpm as much as possible.

I agree with everyone that the best way to clean major build-up is by blasting or "soaking&scraping" and I mention this in my vid description. I am also aware of the concerns of dislodged bits of carbon passing through the combustion, turbo, and catalyst...and why I recommend using an endo-scope followed by a blast or scrape job first. It is your risk, I just chose to come up with a less intrusive service and something that will hopefully keep them clean.

Here's my vid, but I have switched to a different tip/nozzle since the one I found was made for a finer mist when spraying.
Here are pics of before
https://flic.kr/p/Wp9o7p
after
https://flic.kr/p/Wp9o1H
The pics are from the first time I did this. Yes, those other methods will clean more of the carbon off, but remember, this was the first time at 80k miles. So, to see the valve guides and valve stems with just one blow-by was remarkable in my mind. Pic quality is due to a cheap $10 endo...newer one with better quality and lighting is to be ordered soon. Again, the vid;

Last edited:

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

Thanks for doing the video. I was thinking of doing the same thing as preventative maintenance. However, my concern was that wouldn't the spray really only hit the middle two cylinders? When I do my endoscope thingy, I can only see the middle two cylinders. I can't access the outer two.

Thoughts anyone?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Thanks for doing the video. I was thinking of doing the same thing as preventative maintenance. However, my concern was that wouldn't the spray really only hit the middle two cylinders? When I do my endoscope thingy, I can only see the middle two cylinders. I can't access the outer two.

Thoughts anyone?
The air is going to go into every cylinder on their intake strokes and so should the fuel. I removed the nozzle from this sprayer →(https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/6/56167_W3.jpg) and it fits snuggly in a 5/16" ID hose →(https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-5-...JK59S5GaJX27ImRPHLRoCWuMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) and the combo fits perfectly in the IAT port. I did so because this tip makes a finer mist than the one in the vid and has less velocity when coming out of the nozzle.

My injectors are going to be replaced within a year and I will get a look at the evenness at that point.

Last edited:

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Here are the quotes I have gotten so far. I am at 80k miles and average 22mpg mostly city, idle slightly rough when cold but drives fine otherwise.

$958.28 - Carbon cleaning with injectors using scrubbing method.
$350 - Walnut blasting.
$770.03 - Walnut blasting. Very thorough quote with intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, injector repair kit. $93 to adapt throttle body.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Here are the quotes I have gotten so far. I am at 80k miles and average 22mpg mostly city, idle slightly rough when cold but drives fine otherwise.

$350 - Walnut blasting.
$770.03 - Walnut blasting. Very thorough quote with intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, injector repair kit. $93 to adapt throttle body.
I would go with the third quote. How many miles do you have on your odometer?

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I have 80,000 miles. I did DSG fluid change and oil change at the same time so some quotes were approaching $2k. After looking up the KBB value of my car, I wasn't about to spend Porsche service prices on the car when I can get the same service at a indie VW mod shop.

Happy with the service and the outcome. Idles smooth where I don't know its on again, feels a tiny bit peppier, and maybe a 1-2 mpg better but I haven't been driving it much during the safer at home order.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion

$350 - Walnut blasting.
The shop I go to does exactly the same as the third option here, definitely what I'm planning on doing. Seems worth it to me for sure, especially since I'm at 180,000km (111,000 miles) and planning to tune and mod

synthetikv

Ready to race!
Just adding this for comparison sake. Quoted $580 for the cleaning including gaskets and injector seals. Extremely reputable shop that specializes in Euro cars. I've always felt 100% comfortable handing them the keys so this seemed like a no brainer for me.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Finally got a carbon cleaning at 115K after my car threw a CEL due to the intake manifold. I probably could have gone longer but since the manifold was already going to be off anyway, might as well take advantage of lower labor and all. (y)

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Yes a cheap borescope that connects to your phone via a free app. Worked great.

Remove the IAT sensor. See pic:

Just tried this the other day and boy you guys have got balls.

I wiggled my inspection camera in that hole but it wasn't so easy to move around in there and I kept getting nervous I was gonna get hung up on something and not be able to pull the cam out.

Maybe another day i'll have the guts to push the camera into each runner - but holy hell it does not seem as simple as i thought it was.