GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Castrol Edge 0w-30 is GREAT oil for the 2.5L.

sparky123

Just wanted to let 2.5L owners that this German oil is a great oil for this engine. Much better than the Castrol Edge 5w-40 which has been in my engine for the 2 previous oil changes. Very noticeable the difference. Engine runs super smooth and I believe once you try this oil, it will be your oil of choice. I know this is all I'll use from now on. (Due two more "free" Oil changes from dealer but I believe I'll either bring in my own oil or drain the dealer oil and use elsewhere.) More about oil can be read on this website: Bob is the Oil Guy. Cheers and safe, happy and properous New Year to everyone!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Much better than the Castrol Edge 5w-40 which has been in my engine for the 2 previous oil changes. Very noticeable the difference. Engine runs super smooth

:D

So you can FEEL the difference from a different weight of oil? :lol:

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Is it VW 502 approved? I run 0w40 and I'm very happy.

yes it is, I use it in my car. Used it in my 2.5l as well, you will NOT notice a difference between this and 5W40.

Edit* or 5W-40

SAE 0W-30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Great for cold weather climates.

Last edited:

sparky123

Yes, it is 502 approved. I've read that Castrol will be moving production to Belgium. But the oil formulation should be the same. Advance Auto has their "Oil Change Special" on this oil this month. I have 15 qt's of the German made oil in my stash. If AA has a special closeout or BOGO (Buy one get one) on this oil. load up. Yes, there's a very noticeable engine improvement using this oil vs. the 5w-40 version of this oil. If you're in tune w/your car you'll notice. As far as premium vs reg. gas, I personally put in Mid-grade gas. Car runs superb. My 2.5L engine runs silky smooth from idle to redline. Quite frankly, I don't understand the the "lack of refinement" comments I've read on the internet on this engine. Sure, not the most fuel efficient, but IMO a bullet-proof refined powerplant. Another interesting question, how does the Castrol 0w-40 compare w/the 0w-30 version? I really don't know. The 0w-40 may have the newer SN rating whereas the 0w-30 is SL rated. I've read the 0w-30 is close to a 40 weight oil. Only way to tell would be to try and find out. Cheers!

Last edited:

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it is 502 approved. I've read that Castrol will be moving production to Belgium. But the oil formulation should be the same. Advance Auto has their "Oil Change Special" on this oil this month. I have 15 qt's of the German made oil in my stash. If AA has a special closeout or BOGO (Buy one get one) on this oil. load up. Yes, there's a very noticeable engine improvement using this oil vs. the 5w-40 version of this oil. If you're in tune w/your car you'll notice. As far as premium vs reg. gas, I personally put in Mid-grade gas. Car runs superb. My 2.5L engine runs silky smooth from idle to redline. Quite frankly, I don't understand the the "lack of refinement" comments I've read on the internet on this engine. Sure, not the most fuel efficient, but IMO a bullet-proof refined powerplant. Another interesting question, how does the Castrol 0w-40 compare w/the 0w-30 version? I really don't know. The 0w-40 may have the newer SN rating whereas the 0w-30 is SM rated. I've read the 0w-30 is close to a 40 weight oil. Only way to tell would be to try and find out. Cheers!

lol no there isn't. I have ran both oils in both my 2012 2.5L and 2013 GTI and the only difference is that the car reaches operating temp quicker with the 0W-30 for obvious reasons.

miguelr

Go Kart Champion
I was getting ready to try Liquimoly 5W-40 for my next oil change as I've read good things. Is Castrol Edge 0w-30 even better?

dave80

Go Kart Champion
I switched from castrols 0w-30 to Liqui Moly 5w-40 and noticed my car runs smoother and gained about extra 20 miles per tank.

dwgolf

Ready to race!
I switched from castrols 0w-30 to Liqui Moly 5w-40 and noticed my car runs smoother and gained about extra 20 miles per tank.

hold on... gaining MPG liquid moly 5w40. and we're talking on the 2.5l? My oil change is tomorrow

sparky123

I was 6 months into the dealer supplied "free" oil change when I changed out the oil to the 0w-30. This was done in Nov. (Start of winter.) I immediately noticed the engine difference/improvement. Now you could be right....what if the dealer really didn't use Castrol 5w-40 oil? Or this 0w-30 oil is really great winter oil? I know I'll be using the 0w-30 oil in this engine again. Quite possibly the 0w-40 as well. My personal belief is that the Castrol 0w-30/40 oils are better than the 5w-40.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
German VW dealers including my own, use Castrol 5w-30 Long Life for oil changes they do. Winter/spring/summer, does not matter. My dealer tells me this is the factory oil of choice. Who knows really, but Ive go no complaints.

dwgolf

Ready to race!
Finally did an oil change. Used 0w40. My car sounds really quiet. And I spend sooo much time in this thing, so I can tell. Revs changed as well. When i pick up speed I don't notice. I thought I was going like 35 and I was going 50. Head game... i don't know