GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ceramic Cam Follower....

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
This is good to know...but I am confused as to what "East" has to do with "WASA". Any help?

Do you have a link to paste here?

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
WASA responding to FB posts:

Niki @ R-Tech; "I took a stock pump and compared the fitment of the follower with the Apr pump and the stock pump. Then the penny dropped, I sent my findings to WASA pointing out APR use a fatter spring and the cam follower had absolutely no clearance and with a hot spring the follower would grab and hold on to the spring causing huge stress."

WASA; "We are looking at what causes this and how to avoid it. What we have found so far is the obvious one with the APR spring. Our "mistake" was to not know that some aftermarket brands use a spring that is conical."

At first WASA said the APR spring is Conical...then the user found there is little to no clearance of the larger APR spring. Right now...it sounds like WASA is tanking the project. But it isn't confirmed yet. They have attempted contacting everyone and asked them to remove their CF for now. Still hopeful for their product's success.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Any update on this?

Changing the CF every 15-20k is not a big deal, and it's not time consuming per se but it's still time that could be spent doing something else. Plus, last time I changed mine I MAY have cracked a vacuum line mounted next to the pump when pulling it off or something because right after I did it developed a loss of boost I am still trying to track down. LOL

A roller conversion is like $600, so while I doubt I would guinea pig this thing myself it's always good to have options to consider.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Last I heard, WASA has obtained the HPFP upgrades needed with larger springs to do more testing.
I doubt they will put it back on the market...even though they could while specifying which HPFP upgrades it will cause failures with.

My cam chain cover lost threads in all of the holes and I heli-coiled them. When one of those failed...I added a 1/4" lag bolt/screw until I got its new cover at $700. I debated the cost of the roller conversion way back when I did the K04 on mine...and thought that equals 12 CF changes and 120k miles. I wish I had done the stud conversion long ago. I did when I got the new chain cover. I suggest just doing the stud conversion. I also cut 8mm off of each stud (you can go 10mm and it will still be long enough)...as they are simply too long.

Stud-Kit; https://www.urotuning.com/products/...4vuZNYXx00rfGAiTAeUo21_U91pvdmrhoCEaQQAvD_BwE

My "Tips" video for the stud conversion...I used just a 6mm stud from the hardware store to make this vid. Not even sure if this 6mm hardware store stud is long enough to use. But if so, you could just grab three from there along with three nuts. Torque the studs up to 12 Nm(9 lb*ft) and the nuts to 10 Nm(7 lb*ft);

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I have a stud kit sitting in the garage for the next change. But that doesn't change the service frequency, just the chance of causing an issue when servicing. lol

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I had a stud kit and got rid of it. It made the pump a real pain in the ass to remove, and besides that it doesn't work with IE's intake manifold. You're better off getting a Time-Sert steel thread insert kit for the bolts.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
But that doesn't change the service frequency, just the chance of causing an issue when servicing. lol
Exactly...so you can do the roller conversion or use that stud kit. The stud's are much easier if you remove the 8mm(5/16") I did. I first put mine on and they are just too long. Once they are cut it is much easier to remove the HPFP. There was a time when I was replacing the CF every 8 months(10K miles)...doing 15k per year.

"Time spent"...once you've done one or two, it takes just 15 minutes to swap a CF. So long as there is no Banjo Bolt on the low delivery fitting.

If the thought of doing often CF replacements is a major concern...then yes, the roller conversion may be best to choose. It will also prolong the life of the cam's tri-lobe.