GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chance for a MFactory Rear LSD for Golf R/A3/TT

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I got it back into the shop to make the adjustment. The noise and vibration from the rear are gone and it drives smooth around town, but now I have a vibration through the steering wheel above 70mph. Guessing that's a separate issue, but still...it's frustrating.

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
I got it back into the shop to make the adjustment. The noise and vibration from the rear are gone and it drives smooth around town, but now I have a vibration through the steering wheel above 70mph. Guessing that's a separate issue, but still...it's frustrating.
Damn. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the new vibration is something simple like a lost wheel weight.

rabbit-gti-guy

I did get this installed in my Audi. The LSD has helped with allowing the end to swing into a turn. The rear end feels like it snaps into place right at the end of the turn. I am a fan of this upgrade.

Toss in a Van Der Veer Engineering Haldex Controller and the car can get through the turns and twisties very well. I am looking forward to track time and canyon carving time very soon.

I am a few weeks in a no issues with the LSD, noise, vibrations so I feel fortunate. I hope you get your NVHs figured out TimS.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
My issues were down to the installation, and the current vibration seems to be unrelated (it's through the steering wheel) - I'm happy with the rear LSD so far.

Now that I've been able to push it a little bit, the car does seem to track better in cornering, especially accelerating out of a turn. I'm still not sure I'd have spent the money on it if I didn't already need a new diff, but I'm happy with it being in the car.

tomblinm

Can I ask (as a newbie here with a Golf R mk6 2012), whether its better to have LSD in the rear, the front, or both?
How will this affect the handing, seeing as the Haldex mk4 only shunts a max of 50% torque to the rear (to the best of my knowledge). Is there any advantage in putting an LSD in the front first, if this is indeed possible on the R ?
Would appreciate some thoughts on this. I’m looking at the united Motorsports Haldex remap which makes it much more active.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My issues were down to the installation, and the current vibration seems to be unrelated (it's through the steering wheel) - I'm happy with the rear LSD so far.

Now that I've been able to push it a little bit, the car does seem to track better in cornering, especially accelerating out of a turn. I'm still not sure I'd have spent the money on it if I didn't already need a new diff, but I'm happy with it being in the car.
Sorry if I am not following closely enough but how much power are you putting down, what tires and camber, how stiff is your suspension? I am quite jealous of your f/r lsd setup.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry if I am not following closely enough but how much power are you putting down, what tires and camber, how stiff is your suspension? I am quite jealous of your f/r lsd setup.
IE stage 2, UM Haldex tune, PS4S tires, H&R springs on Bilstein shocks with stock alignment. I haven't gotten the front done yet - I'm going to need a clutch soon, so I'll have all that done along with steel shift forks at the same time.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
IE stage 2, UM Haldex tune, PS4S tires, H&R springs on Bilstein shocks with stock alignment. I haven't gotten the front done yet - I'm going to need a clutch soon, so I'll have all that done along with steel shift forks at the same time.
I think to really get the most out of the setup you would benefit from added camber and stickeir tires. And of course a setup like that will be very well suited for more power. Sweet track toy sir. Can hardly wait to hear your reviews after you get comfortable with how it reacts at the extreme.

If you have not driven your car with racing tires on there with track compatible camber settings you are in for a big treat and then double that with your setup. It will probably scare you at first.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I think to really get the most out of the setup you would benefit from added camber and stickeir tires. And of course a setup like that will be very well suited for more power. Sweet track toy sir. Can hardly wait to hear your reviews after you get comfortable with how it reacts at the extreme.

If you have not driven your car with racing tires on there with track compatible camber settings you are in for a big treat and then double that with your setup. It will probably scare you at first. What a great very rare setup you have now.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie

If you have not driven your car with racing tires on there with track compatible camber settings you are in for a big treat and then double that with your setup. It will probably scare you at first.
It's still my daily, so I'm not really interested in going that route just yet. I'm planning to move to EV in a few years, so maybe I'll go more extreme with the Golf once it's out of regular service.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
It's still my daily, so I'm not really interested in going that route just yet. I'm planning to move to EV in a few years, so maybe I'll go more extreme with the Golf once it's out of regular service.
Well you will tear those PS4s up at the track, I did. Getting a second set of wheels and tires doubles the fun and keeps your street tires in good condition.
It was so much better having a set of track wheels/tires. I just threw the in back with my impact driver and good to go.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
This project is long dead - MFactory hasn't posted in this thread since 2019, nor anywhere on this site in over two years.

So for anyone still following my saga with the Power Zone rear wavetrac - I was still chasing that vibration for the rest of the year. I got new tires in November, which seemed to improve it a little bit, but it was still there. I got it back into NGP and they found that one of my front wheels and one of my rears were pretty severely bent, and it was vibrating across the car/through the steering wheel.

We moved the bent wheels to the rear and I got them replaced, so now it drives just about perfectly. There's still a slight vibration in the front, so I might get the other two replaced later on, but I'm relieved to know it was something so simple.

Last edited: