GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheaper Side Marker Alternative - Crystal Clear and Smoked!

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Just wanted to share a cheaper alternative compared to the some overpriced side markers. These are Helix brand ( not sure if the same as Helix Depo) that can be purchased for $30 shipped. I decided to go with these because I wanted to go with the “Crystal Clear” look to go with the headlights and foglights, not the traditional cloudy white ones.

For those who are interested, these are available in smoked/dark versions. I literally spent the whole weekend trying to decide which one to get but after a bit of thinking, I convinced myself that the smoked or dark markers would only look good on a black car. For any other color, it will have a look of being “unfinished” or having a hole on the bumper.

Worst case scenario if it does not work out for me is just either Plasti Dip or Color match them. Either way, I will have my stock ones intact.

I have also purchased amber and white LED’s to test out. Since these are not signal lights or blinkers, can we legally use white LED’s to illuminate these?

Here are some pictures for now…more to follow….

EDIT:

BEFORE

AFTER

AMBER LED

WHITE LED

Last edited:

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
I convinced myself that the smoked or dark markers would only look good on a black car. For any other color, it will have a look of being “unfinished” or having a hole on the bumper.

I wasn't sure about the look at first but I don't really think it looks unfinished. This is just two layers of the darkest lamin-x on each marker (total cost around $14).

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Smoked markers on CSG look paint matched from greater than 6 feet away. I yanked the bulbs altogether though..

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
yeah on cw and tornado red, for some reason it bugs me how it looks, it sticks out too much and prefer the stock orange or clear over smoked. I think TR looks good with the orange still. Darker colors smoked looks fine and clear sticks out too much. I just went color matched after having clear for a bit though lol.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Well crap, now I'm torn. Clear or smoked on SB?

Been there lol. Think of it this way, you can always switch from clear to blacked out, vice-versa using Plasti Dip. With smoked, you won't get the opportunity to try the clear version.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I wasn't sure about the look at first but I don't really think it looks unfinished. This is just two layers of the darkest lamin-x on each marker (total cost around $14).

your post made me think about changing my setup. i just got done installing parts4euros clear markers and brightled.com orange LED bulbs. but the fitment isn't quite 100% and the bulbs arent quite as bright. i wouldnt mind throwing some lamin-x over my stock side markers and also retain my nice bright bulb. but is that lamin-x removable later on or is it stuck on permanently? is it basically this $8 (4" x 8") sheet?

http://www.amazon.com/Lamin-x-148C-...8&qid=1401982991&sr=8-3&keywords=lamin-x+film

2 color choices available, i have a CSG car:

Lamin-x 148C Charcoal (looks like the darker one)
Lamin-x 248G Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
your post made me think about changing my setup. i just got done installing parts4euros clear markers and brightled.com orange LED bulbs. but the fitment isn't quite 100% and the bulbs arent quite as bright. i wouldnt mind throwing some lamin-x over my stock side markers and also retain my nice bright bulb. but is that lamin-x removable later on or is it stuck on permanently? is it basically this $8 (4" x 8") sheet?

http://www.amazon.com/Lamin-x-148C-...8&qid=1401982991&sr=8-3&keywords=lamin-x+film

Lamin-x 248G Gunsmoke

Colormatch an option?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion

Lamin-x 248G Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)

I installed lamin-x smoked on my side markers a couple of years ago. Works just fine and looks much better than the orange. Should be easily removed.

I recently applied Klii Motorwerks CSG color vinyl over the lamin-x covers and looks a good bit better (from a distance)

Last edited:

ducatiti

Ready to race!

Lamin-x 248G Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)

If you want a perfect fit with Lamin-x, not going to be the case. Tried two or three times but could not get a perfect cut. Tried cutting it with exacto knife while already on and even making a pattern using paper. May be acceptible to some but didn't feel right for me.