GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

^^^

clownish

just clowning around
Yeah I hear you 100%. Same boat here. Can't upgrade the OS anymore. Found out I can't upgrade FCPX anymore either, same with my Parallels version.

It otherwise actually works fine. I've upgraded the HD to a 1TB SSD, it's got 16GB of RAM. It's surprisingly fast and snappy for most tasks (web surfing, etc.) Really I can't believe how well it's held up. I have to imagine it's worth a few hundred bucks on the used market still... or I'll just hang on to it for... :iono:

Each time I'm in the damned Apple store I stop by the 27" iMac to oooh/ahhh over it, but can never really justify the purchase.

Technically it's still a stupid purchase. But I'd like to at least be on the current OS, be able to keep my apps I do have up-to-date, etc. I'm a little fearful of going to a desktop vs. laptop - but really, my laptop stays on my desk plugged in to the extra monitor, ethernet, external HDD, etc. 99% of the time anyways.

And the 27" 5K monitor on the iMac is killer.

~ around decade on the same laptop running is $ well spent to me, especially like you said, it still performs normal user tasks well, I just can’t do the power user items anymore - rendering, editing, compiling etc, take too long and OS / some programs don’t update anymore causing odd errors. I removed the disk drive a while back and added a boot SSD, replaced the original with another SSD and maxed out the RAM. So it’s still a great machine. It even still looks new!

The visuals and user x on the new machines is amazing. And the hardware quality just makes it pleasant to use. I haven’t really found another machine I like so I keep buying. My work machine is a high end XPS, comparable $ to the OSX machine I just replaced personally. Technically it’s specs should be higher/are better - better processor, worse screen admittedly, better gfx etc, but I’ve had so many hardware/firmware/driver issues off the rip in the last six months.

It’s not a software thing - I live in all OSs daily - agnostic in that sense - but I wish any windows hardware manufacturer would step their game up and produce a better experience. ESP since I spend half the day on these damn things and only 2-3 hours on my personal machines.

Also I swapped red cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Going through some bills last night... figure out that fucking Interpark still had the wrong account information for my monthly parking....

I get these alerts every month from my parking card warning of "high balance" - but I usually have an extra month on it so I didn't think anything of it.

LOL nope!

So now I get to file for a massive reimbursement check since I've essentially paid out-of-pocket since January... which I guess also goes to show how fucking expensive a contested adoption is that I can miss several hundred bucks a month for almost a year.... finally getting it paid down to the point where I am counting the end in 6 months or less....

In the meantime, with this sort of unexpected bonus roll I'm gonna take part of it and pick up a new 27" iMac. My 13" MacBook Pro is from 2011, works fine but I can't upgrade the OS anymore, and it does get a little slow when playing with Final Cut Pro.

that is crazy, but glad you can now treat yourself to something.

Buy a few miatas instead?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

^ bingo.mov

I could but I'm out of garage space

OH DANG. #TooManyPcars

lol thread title.

MAH EJ

step 1 build more garages
step 2 plant a miata in the ground
step 3 harvest miatas and storage in garage when ripe

edit:
step 4 ????
step 5: profit

Dat NB farm

Me [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

this^

Dat thread title lolz

that^

~ around decade on the same laptop running is $ well spent to me, especially like you said, it still performs normal user tasks well, I just can’t do the power user items anymore - rendering, editing, compiling etc, take too long and OS / some programs don’t update anymore causing odd errors. I removed the disk drive a while back and added a boot SSD, replaced the original with another SSD and maxed out the RAM. So it’s still a great machine. It even still looks new!

The visuals and user x on the new machines is amazing. And the hardware quality just makes it pleasant to use. I haven’t really found another machine I like so I keep buying. My work machine is a high end XPS, comparable $ to the OSX machine I just replaced personally. Technically it’s specs should be higher/are better - better processor, worse screen admittedly, better gfx etc, but I’ve had so many hardware/firmware/driver issues off the rip in the last six months.

It’s not a software thing - I live in all OSs daily - agnostic in that sense - but I wish any windows hardware manufacturer would step their game up and produce a better experience. ESP since I spend half the day on these damn things and only 2-3 hours on my personal machines.

Also I swapped red cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dat Yota. :clap:

clownish

just clowning around
Tapatalk stopped working on golfmk5 and 6 for me ever since the forums changed to this new software.

Got tired of the r32 issues and maintenance - it was almost 170k also. Traded it in on a T4R off-road. Should last for a while. Added leds inside and out, heritage grills, tint all the way around and I’ll toss a level kit on it with some ATs and call it a day. Maybe some PPF

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Format feels weird. Hopefully it works ok. Can we embed YouTubes now?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
this is weird...

oh dang, that would be rad if we can do FaceTube vids.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Dis 27" iMac doe....

Import a huge 1080P video into FCPX and it's done in like 20 seconds. On my old MacBook this would take 20+ minutes of nothing but OMGFAN whirring away....

Loaded up a 3 minute 4K video file and it was done importing in about 12 seconds LOL

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Tapatalk stopped working on golfmk5 and 6 for me ever since the forums changed to this new software.

Got tired of the r32 issues and maintenance - it was almost 170k also. Traded it in on a T4R off-road. Should last for a while. Added leds inside and out, heritage grills, tint all the way around and I’ll toss a level kit on it with some ATs and call it a day. Maybe some PPF
What year 4Runner, new or used? (I know nothing about them)
Spur of the moment or was this brewing for a while?

What'd you get for the R32 out of curiousity? I didn't know it had that many miles, but it looked super clean and it sounded like you did all the maintenance on it too
Take any of the mods off either?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I don't know if/how bad you Chi guys got it, but this early snowfall sucked, btw
We got like 6", at least

And yes, Cadubya, I know it ain't snowing in Texas :p