GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choosing the right sparkplugs for your R

bebersol

Ready to race!
The Golf MK6 R has a EA113 2.0 R4 16v TFSI CDL (188KW – 199KW) engine, The North American model is coded as a CRZ-A engine (North American market). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines

The following are the recommended sparkplugs for the (188KW – 199KW) CDL engines.

HR = heat range

· (OEM) NGK - 1675 PFR7S8EG Laser (double) Platinum Plug (HR 8)
· Bosch FR5KPP332S (double) Platinum Spark Plug (HR 5)
· Denso - PK22PR8 (double platinum) or IK22 (iridium) (HR22)

It appears that the US spark plug web sites are recommending one heat range hotter for the (CRZA) engine

· NGK - 1675 PFR7S8EG Laser (double) Platinum Plug (HR 8)
· Bosch FR6KPP332S (double) Platinum Spark Plug (HR6)
· Denso - PK20PR8 (double platinum) or IK20 (iridium) (HR 20)

Heat range conversion chart: http://www.boschsparkplugs.net/learning-center/article/225/heat-range-c

how to choose a plug: http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/basic_knowledge/select/index.html

heat range explained: http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/basic_knowledge/heatrange/index.html

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
This is very helpful. I am literally trying to buy new plugs today on lunch to put in tonight.

Car is a UM stage 2 Loaded R with original plugs, 40k miles.

Is there a go to plug everyone is running?

model/gap/heat range?

I have read a lot about the NGK PFR7B Plugs.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
For the Denso Iridium IK20, would i just toss them in with the standard gap they come with or regap to something?

The gap they come with is .044 and i believe most things i have seen say plugs should be gapped to .028 or .032 for these cars....

I have also read that for the IK20 the way they work and the small electrode allow for a larger gap and still work great. And that i should just toss the IK20 in at the gap they come with.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Went and picked up the Denso Iridium IK20 plugs from advanced auto. They are pre gapped to .044. turns out due to their construction and all they are recommended to be gapped there for our cars. I will toss these in tonight with the R8 coil packs i already have and report back with findings.

I ran denso iridium in my old BMW and loved them.

0810151056.jpg

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
I'm using the NGK PFR7B plugs (http://amzn.com/B001MU5JB2) with the R8 coils. As soon as I installed them, the car ran significantly better. I didn't gap them as they come pre-gapped at .028. I haven't had any issues with misfiring or anything.

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
^^ I just ordered a set of these in hopes of narrowing down my misfires. Did you re-gap them to 0.028"?

I've already tried PFR7Bs with R8 coils but I still getting random misfires, a bunch at a time, in all cyl.

FWIW I'm GIAC 2+.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Just FYI..

The Denso IK20 were put in with the out of box gap recommended by Denso. (.044)
I verified the gap on all 4 plugs to be the same.

They made the engine super smooth at idle and up through the revs...

until...WOT

My UM file is set to 28 PSI. It was misfiring 4 or 5 times on a WOT pull in 3rd and 4th last night. Repeatable every time. I am taking it easy and have ordered the NGK PFR7B Plugs and will report back.

I cannot recommend the IK20 on an R running this much boost. it is very possible they would work fine at lower boost pressure.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
^^ I just ordered a set of these in hopes of narrowing down my misfires. Did you re-gap them to 0.028"?

I've already tried PFR7Bs with R8 coils but I still getting random misfires, a bunch at a time, in all cyl.

FWIW I'm GIAC 2+.

I kept getting conflicting information on the gapping... Some guys saying 0.028 others 0.032. I called HSTuning (where I bought the plugs) and they said to use 0.032 so I listened to them.

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
same boat here. I just bought the BKR7EIX but like what dude4bites has said i am not sure what is the proper gapping. I am stage 2+ right now.

Mindfields

Ready to race!
Going to put the IK20, but was told to gap them at 0.024 or 0.028, I have it written on the box and give an update when I install them, currently using BKR7EIX

Last edited:

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
Going to put the IK20, but was told to gap them at 0.24 or 0.28, I have it written on the box and give an update when I install them, currently using BKR7EIX

is there someting wrong with your BKR7EIX thats why you are changing?

Mindfields

Ready to race!
is there someting wrong with your BKR7EIX thats why you are changing?

Colder plugs are supposed to be better for APR 2+, idk but going to check them out

Switched to BKR7EIX cus the stock ones were wearing, looked like mine were getting too hot

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I installed the PFR7B plugs tonight gapped to .028.

Idle made me think the car was off. Super smooth. Not a single misfire anywhere. Feels great.