GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chris' 2011 GTI

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
It's been a long time but I started 2022 off right with an amazing day on Sunday with my wife, son and nephew at Laguna Seca hosted by Turn8 Racing. The boys were great passengers and added to the fun. Check out the $#!+ eating grin on my nephew's face. I managed to shave over a second off my personal best time 45 minutes way through the hour long session at the end of the day. I wound up chasing a Mk7 Golf R (I thought it was a GTI) for the last 6-7 laps of the hour session. I'd start to catch him then make a mistake, fall back and start again. We were within a dozen car lengths the whole time. It was awesome.

I think it's time for new tires and more camber. What do you guys think? I'm currently at -1.8 and 34PSI HOT F/R.

Attachments

• CJA_5196.JPG
    CJA_5196.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • CJA_5196-2.JPG
    CJA_5196-2.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-9563.jpg
    IMG-9563.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13

Saabingti

Drag Racing Champion
I wound up chasing a Mk7 Golf R (I thought it was a GTI) for the last 6-7 laps of the hour session. I'd start to catch him then make a mistake, fall back and start again. We were within a dozen car lengths the whole time. It was awesome.

Time 4 K04 ;)

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
True. I'm sure I could get over it though. ;)

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
A couple updates. The car is going in to have VWR Racingline springs and SuperPro adjustable ball joints installed next Wednesday. I usually do all of my own work but pulling the struts while the car is on jack stands killed my back the last couple times I've done it. After that it will be aligned with at least -2.8 degrees of camber in the front and -2 in the rear.

In other news, I really wanted to try a set of Nitto NT-01s and placed an order for a set last week. I got a call on Monday that they are out of stock and backordered at least 90 days. I talked to a few friends and did a ton of research and wound up ordering Nankang AR-1s in 225/40/18 from Phil's Tire Service. I paid to have them heat cycled so they should be ready to go right out of the box.

Last edited:

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
I took a screen shot of the pictures from the last track day. You can really see how hard the car (or the idiot behind the wheel) was leaning on the outer edge of the front tires.

IMG-9612.jpg

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
I had the springs, ball joints and end links installed yesterday. The tech and I agreed that we should swap the camber plates side to side to see if the rattle I’ve had would move with the RF camber plate. He called me when he got the car done and told me that not only had it moved but it was worse now. WTH?

On the drive home there was a constant rattle. It didn’t sound like the rattle I had before. After a little investigation I found that the top of the LH end link hadn’t been torqued. 😣

The front tires were rubbing the fender liners over bumps too so I did the screw mod and a roll and pull on the front fenders.

After I torqued the end link down I took the car for a test drive. ALL of the rattles are gone! The springs feel like they are a better match for the Konis. The car feels taut and and more composed over small bumps but it is hitting the bump stops more often on bigger bumps. It seems better over potholes too.

6FFBE2AD-2527-4C2A-BF43-D334BC4B1191.jpeg
AA3BBE38-853E-4733-A528-FB7FC63711A2.jpeg

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Champion
I had the car aligned on Thursday. I asked for -2.8/-2.2 camber and zero toe F/R. He was only able to get -2.2 in the front with the camber plates and ball joints both maxed out. I wound up with-2.2 and zero toe F/R. We'll just have to live with it.

I put 300 highway miles on the car this weekend. These springs are definitely a better match for the Konis. The ride is ridiculously smooth UNTIL you hit a big transition. Then it sounds like it is hitting the bump stops HARD.

I did some research and found out that the European GTIs are 15mm lower from the factory. VW makes a set of bump stops that are 15mm shorter. Seems like that would have been a great thing to buy before I had the springs installed.
angry
A little more research says that some spring manufacturers recommend trimming 1/2" off the top of the stock bump stops when installing lowering springs. That makes sense to me. I'm going to trim them when I prep the car for Sunday's track day.

There's a rub on the front fender liners. It's only in one spot when I hit a hard bump. I'm going to use my heat gun to warm up the liners and stretch them up up a bit. There's plenty of room in the fender to do it.