GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Clicking' Noise when drivetrain not under load

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Cross posting here for visibility too.

New issue happened today. on my way home i heard a pop and now i have a clicking type noise when in gear and off the gas, or in neutral while moving. at stop and while accelerating i do not have the noise. not quite sure what it is, and being that its winter and i have to park in the street my options my be limited.

It does not seem engine related as it is related to the speed of the car, however being that it only happens when the drivetrain is under load it sounds like it'll be more of transmission/clutch/flywheel/diff/axles. The clicking goes faster the faster speed I'm at, and slows when slowing down. Note that braking has no effect on the noise other than the indirect effect of slowing the car down which makes the ticket a lower frequency, yet is still constant!

Any thoughts on this?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
You sure its not on the wheel.
Edit read that a little closer.
Does it get louder with speed or just more frequent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
More frequent is all. I tightened lug bolts this afternoon as one wasn't all that tight. nothing obvious i could see at night though. will check in the am

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I would check to see if you have anything in your tire. It seems like it's gotta be something with the tire/wheel/wheel bearing/axle.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Naffy for got to mention that he had trouble shifting into gear with the engine on as well as off.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
That happened the day before, that *seemed* to be the linkage on the selector. As of now its shifting fine and this weekend a sigma 5 is going on.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I would say nail in the tire as I just had the same thing happen. Heard the pop then ticking just as you describe but you would hear that as well while accelerating unless it is being drowned out by the sound of the motor.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
I would say nail in the tire as I just had the same thing happen. Heard the pop then ticking just as you describe but you would hear that as well while accelerating unless it is being drowned out by the sound of the motor.

Yeah it stops the second throttle is applied while in gear. Even with the exhaust i should hear it, its pretty loud.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah it stops the second throttle is applied while in gear. Even with the exhaust i should hear it, its pretty loud.
Dual Mass Flywheel could be in play as it reacts to throttle application.

Our Golf has what I think is a sloppy input shaft bearing, sometimes it makes a bit of a low clucking sound but goes away when we push the clutch down or give a bit o gas. I dont worry about it, if it breaks it breaks, I'll sort it out then.

Naffy, wish you the best of luck with your issue(s).

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Check the axles and suspension in the front. I wonder if something is hitting the wheel or axle and when you hit the gas and the suspension slightly raises the front end it clears whatever is rubbing so the ticking stops.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Check the axles and suspension in the front. I wonder if something is hitting the wheel or axle and when you hit the gas and the suspension slightly raises the front end it clears whatever is rubbing so the ticking stops.
Could be wheel bearings but they would howl a bit when cornering at speed.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Took it to a local mechanic to get it checked out. They threw it on a lift and determined the sound is coming from inside the gearbox. They're referring me to a local transmission shop on monday to see what the options are. Being that the gearbox is going to have to come out, it might be a good time to do clutch as well. Does anyone know if the valeo solid flywheel kit for mk5 jetta/golf fits the mk6?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Took it to a local mechanic to get it checked out. They threw it on a lift and determined the sound is coming from inside the gearbox. They're referring me to a local transmission shop on monday to see what the options are. Being that the gearbox is going to have to come out, it might be a good time to do clutch as well. Does anyone know if the valeo solid flywheel kit for mk5 jetta/golf fits the mk6?

Curious what the diagnosis was?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious what the diagnosis was?
Still waiting on an update. dropped the car back off at the first shop monday night, picked up tuesday by trans shop so i didn't have to drive it and potentially cause catastrophic failure. Still waiting on an answer, they were going to crack open the gearbox and see what the damage is.