GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clogging failing PCV / oil separator

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Hello all

I have had my 11' A3 for a year and a half.
When I first bought it, it already had a failing PCV. No symptoms (usual symptoms are sounds) other than high oil consumption and fouled plugs and smoke. Since then I'm on my second pcv.
No symptoms each time other than high oil consumption and clouds of oil smoke out the rear. Once the plate was changed to a new one the oil consumption would back off to it's usual wonderful rate (sarcasm).

I have a ie catch can system but I can't install it as I live in Canada and during the winter it could freeze if I didn't empty it constantly. So next spring it's going on.

The MAIN POINT is this. How come almost every other car manufacturer can make PCV systems that WORK and not fail.... And is there a way to fix the OEM PCV plate to stop clogging (I SUSPECT ITS CLOGGING PLATES AND BAFFLES IN THE PLATES AND NOT BROKEN VALVES LIKE THE FSI ENGINES) and just make it perform properly. I've taken apart the last failed PCV and all the valves and seals seem to be in order (no ripped diagpham or anything) and it's the latest revision.

I've put 35000 km on the car and the PCV or oil separator part of of the plate shouldn't be failing/clogging that QUICKLY.

The other thing I have come to wonder is .... Is it the vacuum valve in the oil pan failed causing the PCV plate to fail somehow by allowing to much oil into the top of the head.

Does anyone have a PDF of how the separator system works?

Any suggestions for what extra gallery's in the PCV plate that could be removed and don't really need to be there.

If I removed some extra problem parts in the plate I could always add inline filters in the vent lines.

Noticed the guy I have screenshoted had his PCV fail shut.... Whereas I'm pretty sure the FSI on the MKV broke the actual valve

Suggestions please.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I never had a issue with the pcv valve was on the same one for 5 1/2 yrs and decided to buy the revised version when I installed a apr catch can recently. As long as the hoses are big enough you really wouldn't have to worry about them freezing during the winter.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Conflicting info .... I've seem to have no luck with PCV's, whereas some have never had issues ....

All's I know .... When my PCV fails .... I literally roll coal when WOT and just the last time it failed it was just smoking well driving not under boost. Very strange .... And the whole PCV seems in perfect condition when I took it apart (pictures) ..... And the valve cover gasket has gone ....

I could just run my catch can here in the winter but I don't really wanna take the risk of it freezing ....

Thanks for the input so far [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk