GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clubsport envy... how close can we get?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
After reading and watching so many videos on the new Clubsport and even Clubsport S, I am envious. I know we can get similar if not better HP than 261 hp (306 in the S version). I presume Stage 1+ or definitely Stage 2 would get us that... I know it also has weight reduction. But how about the suspension?

Does anyone know exactly what was done to the suspension for the regular Clubsport? All that I have found is that it's stiffer. But no one exactly said, what components are used so that we can replicate them. Does anyone know?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
^ agreed. I've had k04 for 2 years and just did the LSD this summer. Really wish that I would have done that a few years ago at the same time as the clutch. Could have saved some money on the install.

damn, but i'll wait until the clutch dies

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
In my opinion there really is no telling. I think in my own opinion and understanding that, you would realistically have to get a club sport s and a regular gti on a track for testing. I feel like you would have to do back to back laps until the driver feels there is no way to get faster without adding other stuff to make it faster. Then you need to add part x and do back to back laps to see if you are going faster then add y and go for some more laps etc etc until you match the speeds of the club sport. You would also have to do all that testing in the same or as close to the same conditions to get accurate times. A lot of work goes into designing these cars I don't think its as easy as add sway bars power and coilovers and boom club sport. You might feel faster with those mods but it doesn't always mean you are faster. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is probably impossible for most people to go to do testing like this so. Most people will go to the track in stock form then go back at a later time with some mods and get faster lap times and chuck it to the mods making the car faster. Is it really the mods or is just different conditions and the driver of the car just being more comfortable with the car? Of course this is all really technical and assuming that your mission is to actually be as faster or faster than an actual club sport s lol.

Last edited:

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
In my opinion there really is no telling. I think in my own opinion and understanding that, you would realistically have to get a club sport s and a regular gti on a track for testing. I feel like you would have to do back to back laps until the driver feels there is no way to get faster without adding other stuff to make it faster. Then you need to add part x and do back to back laps to see if you are going faster then add y and go for some more laps etc etc until you match the speeds of the club sport. You would also have to do all that testing in the same or as close to the same conditions to get accurate times. A lot of work goes into designing these cars I don't think its as easy as add sway bars power and coilovers and boom club sport. You might feel faster with those mods but it doesn't always mean you are faster. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is probably impossible for most people to go to do testing like this so. Most people will go to the track in stock form then go back at a later time with some mods and get faster lap times and chuck it to the mods making the car faster. Is it really the mods or is just different conditions and the driver of the car just being more comfortable with the car? Of course this is all really technical and assuming that your mission is to actually be as faster or faster than an actual club sport s lol.

Yes, I'm afraid I agree with you. I was actually thinking the same thing and then saw your post. A LOT of tuning is involved in getting these cars setup right. Just because I add a coil over suspension, add chassis brace this and that, add super thick super duper adjustable sway bars will not mean that my car is "setup". After spending the money for those components, I will still have to tune them to my liking at a track via trial and error. I should know this as I do RC car racing and have done driving events for 20+ years... I guess i'm just getting old and forgetting these things.... I'm just recalling how I had a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD that I had tweaked to 240-ish hp with 4way adjustable fronts and 8way adjustable rears with camber plates and sway bars... Eventually sold the car and got into BMW's since I couldn't stop as well with the Talon! Never looked back from German cars since...

zrickety

The Fixer
You can compete for a lot less money. Jay is right. LSD might be a couple grand on a DSG car, but you still save thousands over the new car. Anybody can do weight reduction mods.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Clubsport S is a complete waste of money. It's a Nürburgring trailer queen. Almost all of the Nürburgring specific built cars are horrific for every day bombing around town. I don't know why anyone would want their car to drive like that. Unless of course, you're lapping the 'ring.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Clubsport S is a complete waste of money. It's a Nürburgring trailer queen. Almost all of the Nürburgring specific built cars are horrific for every day bombing around town. I don't know why anyone would want their car to drive like that. Unless of course, you're lapping the 'ring.

Yeah but that street cred. You can tell everyone you car does X.XX time on the ring. Instant scene points. Panties dropping everywhere.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah but that street cred. You can tell everyone you car does X.XX time on the ring. Instant scene points. Panties dropping everywhere.

I'm picking up on your sarcasm, but you'd be surprised, or in this example maybe not. When I was on the Honda forums, a guy imported an 8th gen Type R for $68,000. Consensus was that he was an idiot.