GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking, Rattling & Screeching/Grinding/Scraping Sound (Video attached)

Chourreau

Hi everyone,

Following a bad speed bump incident at high speed, the car started making a rattle sound towards the front end but not enough to warrant a visit to the garage. 3 weeks on and the sound has become so nasty all of a sudden. Attached are videos with the new noise to see if anyone recognise this issue?

The problem occurs at all gears, with or without the clutch and/or accelerator. Sometimes it is only audible from inside the car with the sound coming centre front (nothing audible when windows are opened) and sometimes it is fully audible from outside when windows are opened, which was the case in the first video (As you can see the cyclist definitely heard me coming...)

It seems to me to be a rattling sound that seem to be increasing with speeding in line with the wheel motion but also some clunking and screeching noise as if someone forgot a metallic item on the outside of a washing machine's drum roll, resulting in some metallic grinding noises (not so audible on the videos).

I will take it to the garage for a proper diagnostic but in the meantime, wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or has any ideas?

Thank you!

Golf MK6 1.6 S 2009 114270 Mileage

Last edited: