GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Cobb Catback information

mxumney

Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and new to GTI's in general. I just bought a 2012 DSG GTI, and I want to get a catback for it to improve its very uninspiring stock exhaust. I know this topic has basically been done to death, and if my questions have been answered somewhere else, I apologize. Basically, right now it's between two exhausts: the AWE Tuning catback, and the Cobb Tuning Catback. I have heard very good things about the AWE, but for some reason there is very little on this forum or the internet in general about the Cobb catback that I could find. If anyone has a Cobb catback and could share their experiences with it, that would be great! I live in California, so I'll probably stick with the stock downpipe for the the foreseeable future. How does the Cobb sound with a stock DP? I'm looking for something louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Again, I'm sorry if this has already been answered in a different thread.

ce4

Ready to race!
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and new to GTI's in general. I just bought a 2012 DSG GTI, and I want to get a catback for it to improve its very uninspiring stock exhaust. I know this topic has basically been done to death, and if my questions have been answered somewhere else, I apologize. Basically, right now it's between two exhausts: the AWE Tuning catback, and the Cobb Tuning Catback. I have heard very good things about the AWE, but for some reason there is very little on this forum or the internet in general about the Cobb catback that I could find. If anyone has a Cobb catback and could share their experiences with it, that would be great! I live in California, so I'll probably stick with the stock downpipe for the the foreseeable future. How does the Cobb sound with a stock DP? I'm looking for something louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Again, I'm sorry if this has already been answered in a different thread.
I was in the same boat as you, Cobb vs AWE. But just could not justify their prices, just for a catback. I ended up going with the Beluga CBE and am very impressed. Sounds a bit better than stock (think OEM+) but really opens up when you put your foot down.

Beluga CBE: ~$400
AWE CBE: ~$600
Cobb CBE: ~$700

They all do the same thing really, their all SS, Mandrel bent and tig welded. If price is not a factor, my vote would be for the AWE. Have a few guys in our local euro group with them and they sound great on pretty much any vehicle (gti, A4/S4, RS3/4...).

Short Bus

Drag Race Newbie
I’ve seen enough posts about welds on Cobb downpipes failing to be a little concerned about the quality of their exhaust components. That said, I don’t recall a single instance where Cobb didn’t back their product and quickly send a replacement, so their support is good.

That said I’d probably choose AWE. Good price relative to other options and as far as I can tell they’re more or less universally praised.

torga

Drag Racing Champion
I was in the same boat as you, Cobb vs AWE. But just could not justify their prices, just for a catback. I ended up going with the Beluga CBE and am very impressed. Sounds a bit better than stock (think OEM+) but really opens up when you put your foot down.

Beluga CBE: ~$400
AWE CBE: ~$600
Cobb CBE: ~$700

They all do the same thing really, their all SS, Mandrel bent and tig welded. If price is not a factor, my vote would be for the AWE. Have a few guys in our local euro group with them and they sound great on pretty much any vehicle (gti, A4/S4, RS3/4...).
It's true that they, in essence, all do the same thing. But the real quality is in the sound.

I have a Beluga CBE, too. I was very happy with it when I was on Stage 1 - great upgrade from stock and had a nice tone.

However, now that I'm stage 2, it sounds terrible at the top end; tinny and raspy. I've got a catted APR downpipe, so there's certainly no fault there; that DP sounds exquisite paired with APR's catback. So I'll be getting rid of the Beluga soon, but I'd like to buy a new clutch first. I'm looking at APR's CBE or possibly Borla's.

Short Bus

Drag Race Newbie
I’ve read that the Borla catback sounds good on the stock downpipe but can be on the “boomy” side with an aftermarket downpipe. The new APR system sounds pretty incredible, I think I’d spend a couple hundred more and go with that.

torga

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve read that the Borla catback sounds good on the stock downpipe but can be on the “boomy” side with an aftermarket downpipe. The new APR system sounds pretty incredible, I think I’d spend a couple hundred more and go with that.
I've already got half of that APR system, so that's why I'm strongly considering that CBE. I just hope I can find it used somewhere - their price tag is eye-watering. But that's possibly the best sounding TBE I've heard for the Mk6 GTI.

mxumney

Thank you everyone for the information! I think I'm going to go with the AWE system since about $100 cheaper than the Cobb and it seems to be well regarded. I'll update you all when I get it installed!

mxumney

I dunno if anyone is waiting for this, but I thought I'd post an update. I just installed my AWE catback today and it went off without a hitch. Installation was very straightforward and didn't take very long, even though neither me nor my friend are very mechanically experienced. The fitment was perfect, and the sound is much deeper than stock. There is a bit of drone around 1.8-2.0k rpm but besides that, at normal speed you can hardly notice the difference. However, when I really get on the throttle the exhaust is quite loud. It's only been on for about 12 hours, but so far I love it!

csumt76

Go Kart Champion
Old post here but I have the Cobb turbo-back on my 12’ GTI MK6. It sounds wonderful!
I was reading this thinking he should have just got the ECS resonator delete. I know it doesn't look any cooler coming out of the rear, but a lot cheaper.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
The resonator delete wouldn't really give him any HP gain...mostly just make his exhaust sound different.

Cclark6146

I have the cobb turbo back and I love the way it sounds. I get complimented all the time people telling me my car sounds awesome. my only gripe with it which may not even be the exhaust but the right side hangs about 1" lower but I think it could be because of the hanger.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Cobb turbo back on my MK6 GTI and mine hangs the same way...so weird. Figured it was just mine.