GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coding for led lights (ed's)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
you shouldnt be getting error codes with those. And no i could never get those error elimintors to work correctly. Where did you hook up to the factory wiring?? At the harness itself or inside the light like the USP video??

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
you shouldnt be getting error codes with those. And no i could never get those error elimintors to work correctly. Where did you hook up to the factory wiring?? At the harness itself or inside the light like the USP video??

Inside the light... I hooked my ballasts directly into the two prongs that were inside the assembly.

Renurbs

Passed Driver's Ed
So today on my way into work my headlights turned off.... My euro switch was in the auto position (I have the bold sport setup) the headlights turned off but the LEDs did not come on as drls as they normally would. There was no lights at all.... When I turned the switch off the LEDs (drl) turned on and when I turned it to on the headlights came on.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
So today on my way into work my headlights turned off.... My euro switch was in the auto position (I have the bold sport setup) the headlights turned off but the LEDs did not come on as drls as they normally would. There was no lights at all.... When I turned the switch off the LEDs (drl) turned on and when I turned it to on the headlights came on.

hmmm i just realized you have the bold-sport piece. I didnt see that earlier.

Last edited:

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed

The other thing that could have happened is there is a "tunnel mode" controlled by JP2. If it is in the on position and the light is in transition from light to dark, the switch will just enable the parking lights. If you have your LED's coded as DRL's, you don't really have front parking lights but your side markers and tails will be on and your interior will be lit. Did you notice if your interior lights were on (back lighting on switches, ect.)?

I have this enabled on mine and it was kinda cool when I had the LED's coded as parking lights but I changed them to DRL's and now it is kinda pointless. I've been trying to get my auto switch out but it is stuck for some reason. I think I need to pull the panel off it is attached to. Anyone know how to do that?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
The other thing that could have happened is there is a "tunnel mode" controlled by JP2. If it is in the on position and the light is in transition from light to dark, the switch will just enable the parking lights. If you have your LED's coded as DRL's, you don't really have front parking lights but your side markers and tails will be on and your interior will be lit. Did you notice if your interior lights were on (back lighting on switches, ect.)?

I have this enabled on mine and it was kinda cool when I had the LED's coded as parking lights but I changed them to DRL's and now it is kinda pointless. I've been trying to get my auto switch out but it is stuck for some reason. I think I need to pull the panel off it is attached to. Anyone know how to do that?

getting the panel off will be a pain in the rear, as there is a torx screw behind the switch.

mine got stuck once, and i had to really sit there and mess with it. I finally got it to release and it has been fine ever since.

Renurbs

Passed Driver's Ed
I do think tunnel mode was it. That sounds like what happened. To turn that off is that one of the toggle switches on the little bold sport extender thingy lol

And as for getting your switch out when I put mine in I noticed it was getting stuck on something in the back. I would try to remove the fuse box cover and reach in there and pull the little bold sport thing towards you, it is a tight fit to get it in or out of there. After u pull it towards you (towards the drivers door) u should be able to remove it

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed
The labeling on the Bold-Sport switches is backassward. See the installation instruction or their website to switch the correct one. I'd link it but it looks like it's down right now on the bold-sport.com site.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Ok so to wade myself through all of this confusion...All I want is to have my LEDs as DRLs and LEDs off with lowbeam. Is this the correct coding for such an instance;

BYTE 18 - is 20
BYTE 14 - is 09 (check bit 3)
BYTE 15 - is C4 (check bit 6, bit 7)
BYTE 24 - is E4 (check bit 7)
BYTE 27 - is 24 (check bit 2)

This is what I was told previously that supposedly would work to get LEDS as DRL only:

"DRL should be left on, then code DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS AS POSITION LIGHTS
then code LED MODULE INSTALLED this is byte 24 and byte 27 (Byte 24 to E4, byte 27 to 24).

I did not have to change byte 18 at all."

So, any insight on which is correct?

I'm also getting the bulb out errors for low bes (i think) I'm assuming thats unrelated by coding. Ive read through this thread and all the others, frankly I'm a but confused as there are all sorts of different contexts in which certain codes apply and don't apply.

I don't have a euro switch or trigger wire.

Last edited:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
after coding, byte 18 should be 20 to have functioning DRL. if you take it back to 03 the DRL LED will go out.

I have verified this numerous times on my own vehicle.

I had coding originally at 20, but when i did some changes it was back at 03......it took me a minute to figure out why i had no DRl, until i went back to 20

also it will depend on the what module is in your vehicle..... i have an 087 G

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Alright sweet. Thanks for the help again Jason.

And the bulb saver option for halogen lights needs to be unchecked to keep them firing up every time right? Where is that option?

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
What if you have byte 18 as 1F (LED tails no fog)?

I don't have any Ed's lights, just wondering because will probably get them in the future.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i have no idea as i do not have LED tails........................yet........................... this was specifically started for the headlights........sorry

darkice1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 TDI with euro taillight no fog and Ed headlight. Byte 18 is set to 21 and everything work! no bulb error!