GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers for the R

demon342

Ready to race!
Do I really need adjustable dampening? The shop I went to recommended ST coilovers which don't have adjustable dampening but they said they've installed it on other Golf R's and they've been happy. I do daily drive this car with occasional spirited driving every week but I'm a perfectionist and want to have a stock-ish feeling (don't mind a little harshness) with a tighter feel once you really get on it, any recommendations for this? I've read that you only really need adjustable dampening when tracking the car which is a dream of mine but have never done so

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Do I really need adjustable dampening? The shop I went to recommended ST coilovers which don't have adjustable dampening but they said they've installed it on other Golf R's and they've been happy. I do daily drive this car with occasional spirited driving every week but I'm a perfectionist and want to have a stock-ish feeling (don't mind a little harshness) with a tighter feel once you really get on it, any recommendations for this? I've read that you only really need adjustable dampening when tracking the car which is a dream of mine but have never done so

If you aren't tracking it competitively you definitely don't need adjustable dampers. To be honest, if you aren't tracking and all you want is stock-ish and lower ride height I would save the money and possible hassle and just get a cup kit with springs and matched dampers.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

I love my ST's. Perfect for daily driving and they won't break the bank. I have had cars with adjustable dampening and I never felt it necessary for daily driving. I never touched it once I got it set.

I'd consider them too soft for competitive track use but that it what makes them better for DD IMO. Feels OEM+.

demon342

Ready to race!
If you aren't tracking it competitively you definitely don't need adjustable dampers. To be honest, if you aren't tracking and all you want is stock-ish and lower ride height I would save the money and possible hassle and just get a cup kit with springs and matched dampers.

The shop I went to said that a cup kit and springs with shocks already cost the price of coilovers so why not get coilovers for adjustable height. I looked it up to confirm and they were right. I also haven't seen too many good reviews on like VWR springs and shocks, but thank you for confirming I don't really need adjustable dampening

demon342

Ready to race!
I love my ST's. Perfect for daily driving and they won't break the bank. I have had cars with adjustable dampening and I never felt it necessary for daily driving. I never touched it once I got it set.

I'd consider them too soft for competitive track use but that it what makes them better for DD IMO. Feels OEM+.
Would you consider them for some autocrossing? Is the ride any sifter?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
A cup kit with a nice set of dampers would probably handle better then the ST's but I enjoy having the ability to set the ride height exactly how I want it. The ST's are not stiff enough for hella stance or low but they offer a great DD height.

Would you consider them for some autocrossing? Is the ride any sifter?

Yes I'd certainly consider them for autocrossing. I might get the ones with the camber plates so you can dial in camber. I have never done auto-x personally tho.