GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilpack longevity-what do y'all think?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It just occurred to me........my R8 redtop coilpacks are elderly. I replaced the factory coils in the car with R8's shortly after I bought my GTI new. It now has 120k + miles. The car runs great, there's nothing wrong with the coils but I'm wondering if maybe I should just replace them anyway.......due to age? Have any of you guys had redtops go bad? Not talking knockoffs, I mean the legit redtop R8 coils.

Feedback and experiences appreciated!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
How many miles on those coil packs? I agree yes they will go bad given enough time. How much time that is, that's the question. :unsure:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
My red tops went bad after 20,675 miles. Stage 1 up to K04 in those miles.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I bought them from FCPeuro so it only cost me $10 for new ones. Went with APR ones instead of R8 ones.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys; appreciate the feedback. Yea I thought maybe they were due, but felt maybe I was being too anal and picky. They've got over 100k on them, time for replacement!

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I have stock ones in mine at the moment. 49K and no tune...
I have never felt secure with the stock coils, ever since the great coilpack debacle in the MK4 era. I've had my current redtops in for over 100k miles with nary an issue. I just think that with all those miles, they're on borrowed time.