GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI, Rocco

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Also, with regards to the diverter valve. I've thrown a weird boost code for a long time, and I'm thinking it's taxed back to the DV not seating properly. If need be I'll swap out for a DV+ to replace my Turbosmart Kompact thing I'm currently running. But I'm wondering if a DV relocation kit would solve that problem, too

Is it a boost code and having boost issues or is it an "implausible signal" code for the DV? I installed the Turbosmart on my R and instantly developed a boost leak or issue of some kind, went from 30psi boost to barely clearing 25psi. Can not say it's due to the TurboSmart ye as I put the factory back on and same issue but I did have that implausible signal code for the DV and another member pointed out they did too but had no issues. I thought it might be interfering with the Stg3 software but cleared the code with the factory DV and has not come back and still low on boost.

Just thought I'd mention it if that's the code you were talking about.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Is it a boost code and having boost issues or is it an "implausible signal" code for the DV? I installed the Turbosmart on my R and instantly developed a boost leak or issue of some kind, went from 30psi boost to barely clearing 25psi. Can not say it's due to the TurboSmart ye as I put the factory back on and same issue but I did have that implausible signal code for the DV and another member pointed out they did too but had no issues. I thought it might be interfering with the Stg3 software but cleared the code with the factory DV and has not come back and still low on boost.

Just thought I'd mention it if that's the code you were talking about.
Unfortunately I don't know the code, I had it saved on an old phone and with it not running I can't yet replicate it. I think it was an actual code, like p1013 or p2013 maybe. Couldn't find my old DV to replace and honestly I hate trying to work with the DV on this car because it seems like no tool fits other than a small right angle allen wrench.
Tbh I feel like it could've been as simple as me not tightening the DV enough for the above reason.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Update: it's back! It was down almost 7 months but I got it back 1 week ago. God I missed driving it.
PXL_20210506_105813600.MP.jpg
PXL_20210501_173502900.jpg

Washed it, washed the engine. And I finally took the advice of literally everyone who has ever talked to me (including a couple people on here) and didn't bother prepping the engine for 10 minutes like I usually do, covering sensitive electronics and filters and such. And guess what? I flooded my spark plug wells. This is why I don't listen to people 🙄 Going back to my method.
PXL_20210502_222306250.jpg
I've spent the last week fixing various things, and I'm so close to having a gauge cluster free of warning lights. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to clear the airbag code:
PXL_20210507_153424732.jpg

Bonus funny coincidence in my emails:
Screenshot_20210506-201748.png
It's also strange that only one of those had been opened 😅

Now, I've got updates on a few different subjects here:

New Parts
Got some parts, but really only two "new" parts:
  • Fluidampr dampener
  • windshield
  • (repaired) DV
  • Euro plate
  • (warrantied) battery
Inspection
Well, it might finally pass inspection! Here's what was/is stopping it:
  • replaced the cracked windshield
  • if y'all remember, my Turbosmart 50/50 BOV/DV changed personalities throughout my trip, and eventually stopped all BOV characteristics and acted like a DV, and after some time started throwing a p0033 code. Well, a day after getting it back, it started making whooshy noises again, and since then the code hasn't returned
  • rear brakes are a concern. My rotors are used ones from my parts car until I can afford upgraded slotted rotors, but I might have to bite the bullet
  • front steering gear is iffy, and I've got spare inner/outer tie rods, plus ball joints if necessary
  • as always, it's a gamble if they'll notice the cat (or lack thereof, rather). My first inspection it passed, and my previous failed inspections from the same shop have never noted it as the reason for failure. I have had two shops fail me, though. No, I'm not spilling the beans on who is passing me lol I got a good thing going
  • tires will absolutely fail, there's only a little tread left. But hey, that's what winters are for 😎👉👉 and speaking of tires...
Wheels
Finally biting the bullet on new rims. I need new summer tires and I've been wanting to go wider which requires rims. 235/40 fronts, but I'm potentially looking at 255/35 in the rear if (and only if!) I can find a set of staggered 18x8/8.5 rims I like.
As it stands, though, it looks like I'll probably go with a full set of Konig Tandem 18x8 et43 dressed in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I'll wrap the fronts in 235/40 and rears a cool 245/40. This will cut 8 pounds from each wheel 🤯
I might even have them order and mount the rears first, and try to fit them to the front before I order the 235. If I can get a 245 up front, it'll not only be much sticker, but also closer to the stock tire size. I don't mind rolling my fenders if I need; I'm never selling this car (not to mention with so much being DIY, it reads like a death trap).

I also looked at the Work D9R, and I'm in love, but I seriously can't reason twice the money on it. Plus, they'd have to redrill the pattern, though from what I was told that shouldn't be a safety issue with the D9R.

Problems in the future:
All this said, there are still a couple problems that need to be fixed:
  • my FL suspension still rattles from that pothole in Montana
  • one of my engine mount bolts broke. Threads on the mount are ruined, might try to reacquire it off my old block
  • my left axle is clicking under full lock (hopefully just a leaky boot, but I think the axle is shot)
  • a lot of paint chipping. I might do a DIY wrap for this year and deal with that next year (or the year after, depending on the wrap condition)
  • most importantly, I'm misfiring at WOT. It doesn't seem to be any one cylinder. My thought was old gas, and I've filed up once at half tank so far, with no change in misfires. While it's obviously bad, I'm just gonna go easy on it for a couple months until I can afford to diagnose the problem, unless it gets worse.

Lastly
I've pretty much decided I'm not gonna continue any performance mods until I have a different daily. As it is, I'm considering tuning it down to Stage 1. I'm either going to kill myself or lose my license, and neither of those are ideal. And if I can't control myself, I guess I'll just limit myself instead.
But if I do decide on a daily, this guy is getting stripped and caged.
Mods going forward are going to be cosmetic (ie rims, wrap, etc), safety (bucket seats? 👀), luxuries (back up cam, rear facing dash cam, remote starter), or reliability (Fluidampr).

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Also, I asked the mechanic who fixed it (Erik of Erik's Import Autowerks for those near Keene, NH who need tax-free work) about FMIC and intercooler upgrades, as it's highly recommended for Stage 2. He told me unless I'm going balls to the wall or running in the desert, it's not gonna be a necessity. So that's way on the back burner
nice to have but not need to have for stg2.

also you're welcome to hit me up for airbag light clearing, in the future.

glad to see this thing moving again.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Nice! What are you going to do about that missing tow hook cover? I need solutions to replace mine (I just made a thread about this).

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
nice to have but not need to have for stg2.

also you're welcome to hit me up for airbag light clearing, in the future.

glad to see this thing moving again.
Damn forgot you had a vcds cable
Nice! What are you going to do about that missing tow hook cover? I need solutions to replace mine (I just made a thread about this).
I actually have mine laying around somewhere, but I'll probably keep it off because my state requires front plates. This way I can throw it on if a cop is around or says something.
But I'd recommend some kind of tow hook or tag
Protip: dont shop at ECS ;)
Gotta stay up to date on their in house parts, tho! Some of them are solid offerings, such as the street shield

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Really? Why not? I’ve been out of the game for a bit.

It's all subjective. I'm biased cause I work at UroTuning. Some people have really bad experiences with ECS, but people have bad experiences everywhere. Its up to you to decide who you do/don't like and want to give your business to.

Damn forgot you had a vcds cable

I actually have mine laying around somewhere, but I'll probably keep it off because my state requires front plates. This way I can throw it on if a cop is around or says something.
But I'd recommend some kind of tow hook or tag

Gotta stay up to date on their in house parts, tho! Some of them are solid offerings, such as the street shield

Street shield is probably the best in-house product they offer 100%.

Phur

Autocross Champion
It's all subjective. I'm biased cause I work at UroTuning. Some people have really bad experiences with ECS, but people have bad experiences everywhere. Its up to you to decide who you do/don't like and want to give your business to.

Street shield is probably the best in-house product they offer 100%.
I definitely agree about the street shield. That thing is legit.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
New roof rack who dis?
And if course, my doors have already come off lol. Maybe this year I'll actually sand down the frame doors and paint them.
Also I decided to hold off on rims and tires until after I wrap the car. I'm prob going 3M 2080, looking at Sky Blue or Sunflower Yellow. Of course, I'm gonna try to DIY the whole thing so that'll be fun. I'm rewrapping my roof next Monday so if that goes poorly (again) I might nix the full wrap lol