GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant temperature gauge rising when engine is off (key in the on position)

kvnpz

Hello everyone,
Its my first time posting here but I have 2011 MK6 GTI with 107k miles. Earlier today I noticed that after going for a drive and the engine has been shut down with the key still on the on position ( I was listening to the radio while waiting for a store to open)the coolant temperature gauge would start to climb past the 190 degree mark. But after starting the engine again, the temperature goes back to the 190 degree mark and hold its position. Would anyone have any insight of this. I looked around and found the common water temperature sensor being faulty but the symptoms are different from what I'm experiencing. I've had the car for about 10 years now its the first time I've seen this happen and I don't have a CEL at the moment.

Thanks,

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
These cars are equipped with an auxiliary water pump. This circulates the coolant when you turn the car off. I have never seen this happen and can only assume your aux pump isn't working which is weird if your cel isn't on.
Can yiu hear the pump on when you shut the car off? Will only do it when car is warn. Walk around to the front of the car and see if you can hear it.
Is it full of coolant?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah it sounds like your after-run pump isnt working.

If not that, then maybe your thermostat is getting stuck closed.

kvnpz

The only thing I'm hearing is a faint ticking coming under the intake manifold after shutting off the car.
If i recall correctly, I used to hear the fans still running for a few minutes after shutting the car off. But this hasn't been happening.

Coolant is full.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Could be a relay as well..
Do you have a way to scan for codes? There are soft codes that may be in there that would trigger a Cel