GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Corrosion on coilpack/walls

karter5

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently hit the 200000 km milestone and got a multiple check engine codes for running rich and a map sensor “value too high” code. Ripped off my APR whalecock since I figured maybe the cone filter needed to be replaced and just figured i’d to go back to stock intake. I went ahead and got new spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.
As I’m removing the coils 1,2,3,4 come out easy but the 5th needed more elbow grease. Pics below are what I pleasantly found. Somehow I didnt have any misfire codes. I’m going to replace that coil pack but not sure what to do about that corrosion inside.
Has anybody seen/heard of this happening? Is there something possibly wrong with the head of the engine?
5730539C-8D9B-4481-833F-9508A64217DF.jpeg
B2736FB4-8BCC-4DA8-92E7-C42863EFF15E.jpeg

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Original coils then?

I upgraded to Audi RTop at 120kms. Didn’t have anything remarkable, except oil, and only on the farthest two coils. My problem was valve cover gasket. Starting to get symptoms again. Curious!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That is some gnarly corrosion. With the spark plug in (you don't want crap to fall into the chamber) you should try to wire brush all the loose stuff then use a shop vac to get all the debris out of the cavity.

That looks like water just sitting in there, like it was flooded but only one cylinder is showing that? Weird for sure.

Definitely change plugs and you'll have to check that out frequently to see if its continuing.

karter5

Passed Driver's Ed
That is some gnarly corrosion. With the spark plug in (you don't want crap to fall into the chamber) you should try to wire brush all the loose stuff then use a shop vac to get all the debris out of the cavity.

That looks like water just sitting in there, like it was flooded but only one cylinder is showing that? Weird for sure.

Definitely change plugs and you'll have to check that out frequently to see if its continuing.
I just received my coil packs, I’m gonna tackle it tomorrow. Good idea, i’ll try to shopvac after cleaning it.
Yeah its only the furthest right cylinder, the rest are clean. I also noticed that the torx bolts around that cylinder are rusted compared to the others alond the head.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That is just weird, again, it's like it was submerged.....but only that localized area. Check the hood underside right above it......is water somehow dripping slowly there?

Also, after you clean the loose stuff in the well you COULD consider this;

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-High-Temp

I've never tested their high temp stuff, but their normal product I have used many times and works great. My only concern would be using it what is for all intents and purposes a sealed area. It might be a last resort kind of thing though if it just won't stop.

karter5

Passed Driver's Ed
Ahh yes, por 15 is great but I’ll keep that as a last resort.
Surprisingly the rust around the top where the coil pack sits was very loose where I literally just wiped a few times with a rag to get it off with sanding/wire brushing.
Here are what the plugs looked like🤢
The first 4 plugs were full of oil. Should i just rip off the head at this point? Check it out and re-seal it? I’m unaware how big a job that would be
E1561B90-EEEA-4792-9F1A-CC03227D0DC5.jpeg

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
so.......what did you end up doing? 👀