GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack in the transmission

artemk93

Ready to race!
Hit a big rock on my way to work and immediately noticed a leak. Stopped the car asap, so hopefully no damage on the inside
Trying to figure what are my options without getting a new transmission.
Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
If you're looking for a band-aid, you could have someone spot weld that section. But I wouldn't count on that as a long-term fix.

artemk93

Ready to race!
If you're looking for a band-aid, you could have someone spot weld that section. But I wouldn't count on that as a long-term fix.
Looking for a band-aid. Called a mechanic i found online, he told me that heat from welding can damage the insides. But i have no idea if that's the case.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
I agree, insurance should cover this.
I'll tell you a funny story from a few years back.
A buddy of mine was driving his mk4 and broke the inner CV on the driver side axle.
It swung around and busted a huge chunk out of the case and he lost all the fluid.
The repair was simple. Drain the fluid let it drop dry. Clean all the oil from the area using brake clean, and use JB quick steel to patch the hole. In his case, the hole was too big so he had to smear the jb weld onto a piece of cardboard and put in over the hole like a patch. The transmission worked great for years like that. Also, any skilled aluminum welder should be able to fix that, but you could run into heat issues as mentioned above.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yes, make sure no fluid is leaking out. Clean area thoroughly with some carb cleaner and jb weld. If that doesnt work find a buddy with a tig, only issue with welding is the material. I can't recall but it seems like that case is a aluminum mixture which will make it difficult even if its pot metal. But that would be my last resort before replacing tranny. Worse case I have seen used trannys for $800. Do it yourself

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
If you have a 6MT KZS transmission..I got a cheap one for sale you may use for the case and swap out the internals, otherwise check out a junkyard tranny and swap it in (I’m finishing up this job right now on my GTI)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artemk93

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the input. Insurance is not an option, since I only got liability. I looked around and I can find used DSG for $800-$900, just need to figure out what kind of coding I need to do to make it work. So jb weld will be my first approach.