GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cranking but no start, happens once in a while

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So I have the 2011 GTI 6speed and occasionally the car will crank and crank but won’t start… I left off the ignition, wait a while and then turn the key in ignition and it’ll start.

this seems to only happen during cold start.

my guess is something with fuel pressure because it cranks so it can’t be the starter motor or alternator or the battery.

anyone else run into this issue? Please let me know. Thank you!!! I hope everyone is doing well and so is there VW’s and Audi’s.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
High pressure fuel pumps are known to go.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Also cold start issues are known to be caused by carbon build up on the valves as well so that could be it

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
High pressure fuel pumps are known to go.
Ya or the LPFP, I'll get both checked, if it happens again... so far, all good (Thank God), if it happens again, I will get the HPFP and LPFP checked! Thanks!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Also cold start issues are known to be caused by carbon build up on the valves as well so that could be it
Yes, I have changed the fuel filter... in 2017/2018ish, also done carbon cleaning around 2017/2018, at 100,000km (62,000miles).
This only happened twice in the past 6 months... it can be number of things, but I know it's not fuel filter, as I changed it before, and not carbon build up, it can be fuel injectors, or HPFP/LPFP, if it happens again, I will get it checked out. I am praying it doesn't though!

I just purchased and installed a CTS Turbo motor mount, and SPULEN short shifter kit, pockets a little drained atm... lol.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Check your plugs.
Put a multi meter on the battery during a cold start... crank and see if it's constant.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Check your plugs.
Put a multi meter on the battery during a cold start... crank and see if it's constant.
Ok, I will do so. Thank you!

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
can you hear the pump run when you open the door or turn ignition on?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I can hear the pump run and make a buzzing kind of noise/ or the pump activation noise... hard to describe using words, but I do hear the pump running when I unlock the car+open the driver door, and I hear it more when I turn the ignition on. It's been like this since I purchased this GTI in 2016

Day 5 now with no problems... cranks and engine starts up right away (2.5-3seconds delay). I will keep you guys updated.
I'm going to check the battery volts. It can't be starter or alternator, as I would have issues starting the car all the time, or it would die all of a sudden.

Thank you for all your help!!! Keep those VW/Audi builds running guys!!! #SurvivalOfTheFittest

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So I ran a battery voltage test, and I get 12.0 at key in ignition, once I start the car, it's at 14.0, then goes down to 13.5-13.8 as I turn on the headlights/radio/power down windows/sunroof, it stays between 13.9 - 13.5 when it's running.

The battery isn't the issue for long crank starts... but I notice when I let the key in ignition for 5 - 10 seconds before turning the key all the way to turn over the engine, the crank isn't as long, it turns over quicker, cranks for about 1-2.2 seconds and engine turns over.

But if I insert the key in ignition and I don't wait 5 - 10 seconds, it kinda takes a long crank to start the car... maybe 2.5-3seconds at the most (THIS IS ONLY DURING COLD START...).

The battery in this GTI was put in the year 2018, so battery is good, if the longer crank issue still is present even after 5 - 10 seconds of key in ignition before turning the key to the start position, I will examine the fuel pressure (LPFP and HPFP), and then the starter motor.

It can also be carbon build up, (the last carbon clean up was done in 2017 @ 110,000KM. my car is at 163,000KM now)
I changed the spark plugs in the year 2019 (@ 130,000KM) so it can't be spark plugs, the ignition coils were always replaced.

I am narrowing this down, but from what I understand, it's something with fuel pressure. I hope this helps someone else figure it out. Take care guys! Be well and keep all your machines running.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
It turned out to be the battery. It had low CCA.
replaced the battery and now car cranks up way better and engine starts quicker during cold starts.

if anyone has long crank, during cold starts, check the battery (do the battery test) and go from there.

then check the alternator, starter motor and possibly spark plugs/ignition coils.

also check the last time CC was done to your cars engine.

I hope this helps someone in the near future.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Hi everyone,

so after changing ignition coils, spark plugs, doing carbon cleaning, changing injectors, changing the fuel filter, changing the battery, it's actually the starter motor that was failing.

My MK6 GTI was at a 40 years experienced VW/AUDI shop, and the owner listened to my car turn over after a spark plug replacement service and he noticed the starter motor made a weird noise, so he said to change the starter motor, I changed it, and BOOM, no more delayed crank start up... the engine turns over realllyyy quick now.

It was the starter motor guys.... I'm happy it's resolved now. Thank God for VW/Audi specialized shops!!!

Engine crank sounds a lot healthier. Night and day difference.

I hope this helps someone in the near future.

Keep the MK6's running!

#LongLiveTheMk6

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I had never needed to check the pricing on a starter for this car, but your post spurred me to pre-emptively browse just in case I run into a similar scenario. Had no idea units were $450-500 new. What unit did you go with? Fresh OEM? refurb? third-party?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I had never needed to check the pricing on a starter for this car, but your post spurred me to pre-emptively browse just in case I run into a similar scenario. Had no idea units were $450-500 new. What unit did you go with? Fresh OEM? refurb? third-party?
Ya I never thought it would be the starter motor…

prices went up on almost everything. Damn inflation.

I went with a New Valeo starter motor. Aftermarket, OEM fit.

I didn’t want to pay more than 400$ for a Bosch starter motor.

my car starts really quick. The starter motor doesn’t sound like it’s about to crap out.

cold starts sound sooo much better now.
I have videos of the before and after new starter motor install and the crank noise is so much different.

Last edited: