GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
The H/K stuff seems outside the scope of this project. I’m curious about the turntables, but would prefer something that didn’t need a separate preamp. What are your thoughts on this?
The AT 120 series have built-in preamps.

cb1111

I’m actually more stressed about the rest of the setup. Should I run it to my existing 5.1 home theater, or get something like a set of powered bookshelf speakers?
Depends - saying "my existing setup" is like saying "I want to win a race, can I do that with my car" without giving more information.
The H/K stuff seems outside the scope of this project. I’m curious about the turntables, but would prefer something that didn’t need a separate preamp. What are your thoughts on this?
Depends. Like I said, the cartridge/stylus and arm weight are imperative - then comes the rest of the system
That’s kinda what I was thinking. The vinyl setup would be in the back of the living room. The home theater in the front.
That also depends on your room
Business in the front.... party out back
Funny....

A couple of general comments as I put my Society of Audio Consultants hat back on.

What is your goal, sitting down and listening to music or just background noise?
What type of music do you listen to?
What is your current setup?
Where is your "music listening space" in relationship to your video setup?

Most modern mainstream audio setups are equal to, or better than, high end audio stuff from the 70's, so a decent setup today might work quite well for your new vinyl system, but stay far, far away from cheap no-name turntables because they'll screw up your records - sound OK a couple of times, then they're toast.

Like cars, an audio system is only as good as the weakest link, so your current system may, or may not, work fine.

That said, records were optimized for stereo sound, so a quality two channel system might sound better that a better surround sound system.

Tell us about your system and your room setup

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Depends - saying "my existing setup" is like saying "I want to win a race, can I do that with my car" without giving more information.

Depends. Like I said, the cartridge/stylus and arm weight are imperative - then comes the rest of the system

Funny....

A couple of general comments as I put my Society of Audio Consultants hat back on.

What is your goal, sitting down and listening to music or just background noise?

Most modern mainstream audio setups are equal to, or better than, high end audio stuff from the 70's, so a decent setup today might work quite well for your new vinyl system, but stay far, far away from cheap no-name turntables because they'll screw up your records - sound OK a couple of times, then they're toast.

Like cars, an audio system is only as good as the weakest link, so your current system may, or may not, work fine.

That said, records were optimized for stereo sound, so a quality two channel system might sound better that a better surround sound system.

Rule 5

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
We dont all have mullets here in Kentucky. That's more Florida man now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I hope everyone enjoyed the drunk uncle rants at dinner.

FB_IMG_1669330037163.jpg

Phur

Autocross Champion

Funny....

I have an LG CX 65" OLED TV. The home theater is a Samsung HT-E5400. We have been unhappy with it since we got it. The bluray player no longer works. We ended up having to disassemble it and disconnect part of the front panel because the capacitive buttons on the front kept causing it to change inputs on its own. We have a PS5 that we use for bluray now, so that is a non-issue. I have the center channel and all 5 satellite speakers mounted up by the ceiling in the four corners of the room. The bookshelf behind the couch, in the back of the room is where we were thinking about putting the vinyl setup.
1669334524839.jpeg
1669334215131.jpeg

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
The SONY DAV-C770 that the current home theater was supposed to replace sounded infinitely better. Unfortunately it started turning itself off every time that you had it turned up and there was any kind of bass hit.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have an LG CX 65" OLED TV. The home theater is a Samsung HT-E5400. We have been unhappy with it since we got it. The bluray player no longer works. We ended up having to disassemble it and disconnect part of the front panel because the capacitive buttons on the front kept causing it to change inputs on its own. We have a PS5 that we use for bluray now, so that is a non-issue. I have the center channel and all 5 satellite speakers mounted up by the ceiling in the four corners of the room. The bookshelf behind the couch, in the back of the room is where we were thinking about putting the vinyl setup.
View attachment 266392
View attachment 266391
Yeah do that.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
None of that here. Was with GFs family, lots of screaming kids but almost no politics.

So you should have gotten drunk and ranted?

Went to my wife's sister's to visit her family first, then went to my sister's to visit my family. My sister had a few bottles of this stuff https://www.whipshots.com/. Vodka infused non-dairy whipped cream. Shit packed a punch, at least way more than you'd think an alcohol based whipped cream would.

Status
Not open for further replies.