GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Golnats Inbox Gets Flooded By Forum Dudes Offering "Services"

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
They're the same

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Hardie board in a appropriate color pattern unless your guy has a scrap piece.

My helper has an 80% success rate at putting paper in the right way. Somewhat better than blind luck but not impressive.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Home inspector should have went up on roof. Mine always have.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
In keeping with the "pics or it didn't happen', and the renovation pictures, I have an issue that I need some advice on.

We built our house eight years ago. We had a minor roof problem a week ago and had a roofer come by to look. It turns out that the roof issue isn't anything major, but while they were up there, the guy says "what's up with this?"

This part of the house is impossible to see from the ground, but the asshole builder forgot to put up brick.

The builder was a PITA. We held back the last payment until he fixed the punch list items. He got pissed, took us to arbitration and he lost - but that was eight years ago.

I'd never find that brick again, so I'm thinking that I get somebody to put up more tyvek and cement siding (hardiplank). You cannot see this from the ground, no matter where you stand - so I'm not annoyed with the home inspector.

View attachment 296144

Thoughts, rude comments?
There's a good chance that press board needs to be replaced. Not designed to get wet.

cb1111

My guess is the brick guys thought the siding guys were doing it and vice versa
Yeah, but there were no siding guys, because everything was supposed to be brick. They had a half pallet of bricks left over that we used to build two pillars at stairs, but now we know why it was left over.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They're the same

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Kitchen is allmost done! Awaiting granite countertops and a dishwasher. Thanks for all the advice but we went for an LG ultimately.

Oh and one day... rid the 90s floors for something that fits our aesthetics more.

View attachment 296102View attachment 296103View attachment 296104View attachment 296105View attachment 296106View attachment 296107

In other words, the outside is the inside and the inside is the outside
View attachment 296108View attachment 296109View attachment 296110lo
That came out good! (y)(y)

Brush? Roller? Sprayed?
What did you do for the prep work and use for the paint too?
And how far did you go with painting them? (I always thought it'd bug me if you still saw the oak, or whatever, on the inside of the cabinets.....if you know what I mean)
My wife has been bugging me to paint our cabinets.....which look identical to yours.

Did you have to fill in holes or anything, from the original hinges, when you flipped the doors?
(which looks better btw)

Also, a suggestion, if you're doing new or granite counter tops......do a over hang where you have the two stools at, so you have a place to sit at at the counter.
(we did that with ours)

We have a cabinet and drawer by the door wall, exactly like yours, and the access is "limited" to the drawer.....but you can still get to it.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
That came out good! (y)(y)

Brush? Roller? Sprayed?
* Professionally masked and sprayed, doors were sprayed in my garage. It is furniture grade hard paint so should NOT scratch and chip. The finish doesn't look perfect, as we did a ton of wood grain filler, sanding, prepping off all the old grease and stuff, but its very nice overall.
What did you do for the prep work and use for the paint too?
* Removed all doors, sprayed them down with APC/grease cleaner, hit them with my drill brush, followed up with a scotch pad, steam cleaned them for good measure and wiped dry. Allowed a week for any water that soaked into the now 'unprotected/varnished' wood to dry up prior to painting.
* basically the same thing for the cabinets themselves.
* The paint, i might have to ask my buddy, he got it, but its cabinet paint that works in a spraygun with an added hardener. went for the most 'matte' finish we could while still being cleanable
* entire kitchen was masked off, regardless of how much prep you put into it there will be some overspray and our walls are shitty and dont adhere paint well so some wall paint came up with the tape, regardless some touchups were needed
And how far did you go with painting them? (I always thought it'd bug me if you still saw the oak, or whatever, on the inside of the cabinets.....if you know what I mean)
My wife has been bugging me to paint our cabinets.....which look identical to yours.
* we masked off the inside of the cabinets - usually unless you get white cabinets new they are wood on the inside, and given they are full of shit all the time anyway, who gives a shit. It looks fine to me.
Did you have to fill in holes or anything, from the original hinges, when you flipped the doors?
(which looks better btw)
* yes, the original configuration had external hinge hardware which we filled and sanded, then drilled big pocket holes for new, internal, soft-close hardware.
* also we caulked the cracks and crevices of all the doors on both sides - the one thing about using the 'inside' of the doors as the outside is that since that wasn't the original intent there were some apparent gaps present, but again caulking helped address that.
Also, a suggestion, if you're doing new or granite counter tops......do a over hang where you have the two stools at, so you have a place to sit at at the counter.
(we did that with ours)

We have a cabinet and drawer by the door wall, exactly like yours, and the access is "limited" to the drawer.....but you can still get to it.
* yep! that is definitely on the table for us (No pun intended?) i think if we extend the counter about 6" over it wouldn't be much, but something. but even 6" renders that drawer pretty much inaccessible (like ~3-4" of access). which sucks cause we have so much shit and need every drawer we can get our grubby paws on. but yep its a heavy consideration! thanks!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion