GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BRÄTS GTI

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I figured I would join the club and start one of these. I got into this car from a 2019 Accord sport. I looked at many options over a few months and wound up with the GTI. I have owned A LOT of cars before, and I don't have a good track record for keeping them long. I'm going to try and keep this one a while, and I figure I could always pick up something else if I really wanted to. 2013 2D Autobahn DSG 31,450 miles

I got it home along with the original Serron wheels. I had the wheels rebalanced and bolted on the car next day. The tires were the original Pirelli from 2012 and were notably dry and hard. Found a set of 4 brand new Michelin Primacy MXM4 on ebay for $340 so I got those put on about a week later.

November 2019
-New tires(sold other wheels for $400 to recoup cost)
-Full detail, gtechniq decontamination, clay bar and dawn wash, mostly 2 step polish using PC 7424 and menzerna SI1500 and SF compounds, coated with Kamikaze ISM on paint, black trim, and tail lamps
-Maintenance- oe cabin filter, NGK BKR7EIX, rear wiper blade and fresh cap, checked air filter and looked brand new
-Turned front rotors due to slight shimmy when braking, OE pads still at probably 70%, cleaned calipers(one had silver overspray from a wheel repair)
-Mudflap delete before detail, also deleted door edge guards that were 3m taped
-Purchased a set of mounts, passenger motor mount is collapsed all the way
-Cleaned/conditioned seats with Meguiars
-New passenger a/c vent from Ali
December 2019
-Klii candy white rear underlay
-New windshield and moldings, corrected a-pillar installation and fresh vw clips(12.18.19)
-Seafoam top end cleaning
January 2020
-Carbon Fiber mirror caps
-red top Delphi coils
March 2020
-new fuel filter
August 2020
-suede headliner
-home made rear seat delete

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Great start!

Got to get a tune man!!

Curious why you got out of the Accord Sport? From what I have read it’s a great car.

torga

Autocross Champion
Wow, such low miles! Kinda jealous. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

How did you remove the door edge guards? I've been meaning to get around to mine for a while, but I keep putting it off.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Great start!

Got to get a tune man!!

Curious why you got out of the Accord Sport? From what I have read it’s a great car.

It was a good car, but I had the 1.5 w/CVT. I suppose if I had got the 2.0 it would have been different. The body gaps were pretty terrible and the metal and paint seemed super thin. Also the front passenger seat was basically on the floor and didn't adjust. My dad is 72 now and he would have trouble getting out of the car. I'm sure I could come up with some other problems... I also wanted a cheaper vehicle. I still owed about 15 grand on it, more than what I paid for the GTI. It was my first Honda out of roughly 25 vehicles

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Wow, such low miles! Kinda jealous. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

How did you remove the door edge guards? I've been meaning to get around to mine for a while, but I keep putting it off.

I was prepared to use floss, but didn't really need to. Just used a heat gun to soften up the double sided tape and they pulled right off. Then I used a body eraser, some lighter fluid or adhesive remover and a microfiber. (y) Funny thing is I found a small paint chip UNDERNEATH the edge guard

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Tried to dye my coolant cap and washer cap black. Used Rit all purpose black on the stove top. The washer cap wasn't having it... Purchased urotuning black set in the end.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It was a good car, but I had the 1.5 w/CVT. I suppose if I had got the 2.0 it would have been different. The body gaps were pretty terrible and the metal and paint seemed super thin. Also the front passenger seat was basically on the floor and didn't adjust. My dad is 72 now and he would have trouble getting out of the car. I'm sure I could come up with some other problems... I also wanted a cheaper vehicle. I still owed about 15 grand on it, more than what I paid for the GTI. It was my first Honda out of roughly 25 vehicles

Yes the 2.0T Manual is the best one to get. Japanese sheet metal is always thin (at least on all my Honda's) but that's a bummer about the panel gaps. Good choice on the GTI though (y).

Wait, so I have never heard of this stuff. So it's dye that you soak the part in? That turned out nice. Can you do emblems and things?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yes the 2.0T Manual is the best one to get. Japanese sheet metal is always thin (at least on all my Honda's) but that's a bummer about the panel gaps. Good choice on the GTI though (y).

Wait, so I have never heard of this stuff. So it's dye that you soak the part in? That turned out nice. Can you do emblems and things?

The hood lined up pretty terrible left to right. It's all aluminum and you'd think it would dent in a blow dryer. I got some bird etching on the trunk lid and it was Fubar.... I attempted to clean it off the same night and no freaking way.

Well, it's meant for fabrics but it will also work on certain plastics. You wouldn't be able to do any emblem that had chrome on it.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice car sir. Looking forward to future posts with mods. I have a 12' GTI MK6 beater that I've been messing with. I drive it for work so its a secondary car. I have been having some fun doing some mods here and there. I didn't realize how fragile GTIs were until I owned one. They need lots of maintenance and quality parts or they break...A LOT. If you get OE replacement parts go with Bosch or whatever brand comes on the car from the factory. Performance parts will be different of course. Did you do new coil packs when you did the spark plugs?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Nice car sir. Looking forward to future posts with mods. I have a 12' GTI MK6 beater that I've been messing with. I drive it for work so its a secondary car. I have been having some fun doing some mods here and there. I didn't realize how fragile GTIs were until I owned one. They need lots of maintenance and quality parts or they break...A LOT. If you get OE replacement parts go with Bosch or whatever brand comes on the car from the factory. Performance parts will be different of course. Did you do new coil packs when you did the spark plugs?

Thanks, similar here I don't know if I'll get crazy with it. Trying to find a lot of nice preowned mods. I looked at the coils but other than a bunch of here say and bro science I couldn't find any technical data explaining why the R8 are better. I might do them later or for sure if a stock one fails.

I think it's had a water pump before... Smells like coolant after driving and there is an old stain on the hood pad. Level hasn't moved and I haven't seen any residue or anything on hose connections.

Phur

Autocross Champion

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Thanks, similar here I don't know if I'll get crazy with it. Trying to find a lot of nice preowned mods. I looked at the coils but other than a bunch of here say and bro science I couldn't find any technical data explaining why the R8 are better. I might do them later or for sure if a stock one fails.

I think it's had a water pump before... Smells like coolant after driving and there is an old stain on the hood pad. Level hasn't moved and I haven't seen any residue or anything on hose connections.

From what I recall, the R8 coils allow for a brighter/hotter spark when tuning. Don't have any proof of that, just what I've read over the years. This is one of those mods that pretty much everyone does eventually, and is recommended by some. I did it because why not. Supposedly its helped some people fix misfires and what not.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Weight Reduction ✅ -6.5lbs(yes I weighed them):LOL:

Installed OE carpet mats I got from Xupeiran, literally look brand new. I don't really need the rubber/all weather style, and damn they always look dirty or dusty.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Klii Candy underlay/new OE rear emblem. Went on easy except I was a little worried about the new emblem popping back in. I had it on all the way around and it was still sticking up in the center... pushed harder and all good.

IMG_2643.jpeg

Last edited: